Who's still got a Mick Reeves Focke-Wulf 190D-9?

Colin Leighfield

Hi All, I have one still in it's box. I think I bought it in the early 90's but never touched it. I will retire in about 12 months so it will be a good 1st retirement project.

Of course I am also building Mr. Fenton's Chipmunk, just finished a Zlin and am keen on Colin's Spiteful. I would also like to build a DH Hornet and heaps of other stuff. Maybe I should retire now!

Cheers Graeme

I've been trying to retire for the last three years and I'm partially there. Going through a patch now where things I expect not to go wrong do and slow down otherwise simple projects, right now it's brushless motors breaking when they never used to, it must be me. (Spiteful/Seafang, hasn't flown yet and I'm on the third motor).

When I get round to the second D9, I might have a go at making it electric, the existing one has a Saito FA82 and goes very well on it, but I hate sticking out exhausts on models like that and the oil seems to go everywhere.

I am building a much smaller D9 based on a Balascraft kit. What is surprising, is the very much simpler constructional details of the Mick Reeves built up kit. In contrast the Balsacraft body is very complex, the construction uses a multitude of Laser cut interlocking components.

What will intrigued me is how the top nose bump is constructed, as the BC model does not try and replicate this feature (where the guns would have been housed).

I have built a small 152 H, essentially based on rolling the shell. Unfortunately, i did not try to get the nose cabin profile correct in outline, again a simple rolled balsa part. I have been considering retro modify this aspect.

On the basis that both my models will not be right to a lesser and greater degree, this build aspect will interest me.

• 1 year later...

Hi Andrew. Mine handles well down to slow speeds without the flaps. However I have got them fitted to operate at 15 and 30 degrees. They work very well and make it even better, 15 for take off and 30 for landing. What I like is that there is very little trim change at either setting, so they are easy to use. Are they essential? Definitely not and if you don't want to bother it won't be a big deal. However, if you do fit them, they are nice to have and make the Dora even more of a pussy cat. It really is very nice to fly.

• 1 year later...

Hello Colin & FW190-D lovers,

Back in September 2014 I mentioned that I would be retiring about Xmas 2015. Well it happened in April 2016. Kathy & I then had a month in Europe and 13 weeks in the UK. All good fun. When we arrived home in September I was enticed back to a little part time work, 2 days a week, 4 hours a day. Not a stretch. So I have some spare time for a project.

So while I await your plan (?) for a Spiteful, no pressure ha ha , I have dug out the Mick Reeves FW 190. I bought it about 20 years ago, maybe more. I have been considering retracts and looking at the HK electrics. You mention that the Mick Reeves legs are not long enough for scale so what should they be? Also do you know what degree of retract I should get? Thanks for any help. Graeme

Hi Graeme. I'm sorry about the Spiteful/Seafang. David Ashby has got the plan and canopy plug. The problem was getting photos, I've got quite a few but they're not considered to be good enough. Danny Fenton kindly offered to help out, but when I was flying and trying to get close in I got disorientated and flew it into the runway! Sadly Danny said the photos he did get weren't good enough. The plane was fixed within a fortnight, but there hasn't really been the right opportunity to sort this out. I'll see if I can do something about it, because the plane is fine.

I'll check the comparison in u/c leg length and let you know. I have another one of these unbuilt in the box and my thoughts are to do this one later to true scale and correct the leg length, which clearly you intend to do as well. I'll try to get back to you later this week.

I flew mine again a few weeks ago and it was as good as ever, but for some reason the Saito F82A is playing up and I haven't had time to look at it yet. When I do the other one I'll make it electric.

No need to be sorry Colin. I didn't intend to prevail upon your busy life. I know you have other projects on the go. I have the Peter Nicholson 52" wingspan Traplet plan of the Spiteful. As my preferred model size is in the 1600 (63" to 1700mm (67" wingspan I intend to have the plan increased to about 1650mm. But I'm not ready to go down that path just yet. I want to get the FW190 built first.

So thanks for checking that for me. Yes I intend to add a little more scale detail to this kit as I usually just get them into the air as quickly as possible. I have a bit more time now to try a bit harder. I'm pleased that it flys well. I have a couple of spare engines, (prefer ic although I have several electric) so now just a matter of getting into the build. I am keen to get it flying. Again thanks for expending your valuable time. Graeme

Believe me Graeme, I'm frustrated by the Seafang, it was my limited flying ability that bust it in the first place and wrecked the photo session. I must get the photo issue sorted out, it's easy to build and I think that it could go down well.

The Peter Nicholson design is an accurate representation, but Martin Macintosh built one and said that it was a problematic flyer and he got rid of it. I bought the plan to have a look. It would certainly scale up but I would alter the wing section to NACA 2200, same as the Spitfire and put in 2.5/3 degrees of wash-out. Also I would look at opportunities for weight reduction.

The 190D9 is generally an accurate scale model and could easily be improved with detail such as a sliding canopy. I've got some free time on Thursday, I'll check the undercarriage details then and come back to you.

• 6 months later...

wp_20170622_13_42_26_pro.jpgwp_20170622_13_27_00_pro.jpgColin, I started the Focke Wulf in February and have been making steady progress. I am a slow builder, (I seem to think more than build), so it will be some time before completion. But that's ok. There is no rush. It'll be done when it's done. here's a couple of pictures.

All the best Graeme

Edited By Graeme Poke on 22/06/2017 10:00:01

If anyone has a spare wing I could do with one to graft onto my Ta-152 fuselage. It ain't going to be that scale but it should end up close enough to a D9 if you ignore the slightly stretched fuselage. Camouflage, grey sky and older eyes mean that flying low and far away is a bad combination. Shame as the Kyosho 152 was a beauty to fly.

Thanks for the offer Colin, I'll bear it in mind, but the Ta isn't high on my list of priorities at the moment. I do/did have a bow, but I'm not even sure where it is now. If I ever get around to scratching a wing it will probably be built up but having acces to a foam pattern would be a bonus.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I continue to build a Mick Reeves FW190D that I first started in 2006. Could you share some photos of the RC setup and the position of the fuel tank in your FW190?

At the moment I am not quite sure whether I will mount a Saito engine or an electric motor.

Best regards

Axel

• 9 months later...

I bought one of these in the dark in the LHS car park over twenty years ago only to find that the wing had been severely weakened with a mass of foam cut away to fit the mechanical retracts. I repaired that damage, but the 75% finished kit has been wrapped up ever since. One day I'll get her in the air, but as an electric conversion, so will need a beefy outrunner. They fly superbly and really look the part in the air.

I understand what you are saying Leccyflyer. One of the major reasons for my slow building was fitting the retracts. i am using Aircraft Mechanics electric retracts. I have never used a foam wing before and it took awhile to figure out the installation.

Now I'm trying to sort the plastic wing fairings that wrap around the leading edge and under the wing..They are quite springy and holding them in the correct position while the glue drys is going to be tricky. I am considering not using them at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Graeme