70yr old newbie

Hi all,

I am 70 yrs old and getting into radio control flying for first time. I have had a little experience with rc cars but not a lot. Last time I attempted to fly was about 55yrs ago with a Keil Kraft jetex which I never got of thr ground or rather went straight into the ground. However, I picked up a FMS Zero A6M3 and a spektrum DX5E from my local model shop for £70 for both. Unfortunately it was in a closing down sale so there is now no model shop up here in the Shetland Isles. Knowing this would be a little beyond my capabilities I have ordered a Super Cub DSM RTF. Hopefully this will get me started on the flying scene. It will be a big learning curve for me as I do not know if there is anyone else up he that fly's model aircraft to assist. Well I have drivelled on enough so I will go for now. Any tips or suggestions for this old newbie will be most appreciated. Davy

Advert

Hi David and welcome aboard!

If you can find somebody to help you then that will be a great help. It is possible to learn alone, but as threads on here will demonstrate it often takes a lot longer and "consumes" more models! Some experienced assistance can help cut a lot of that out.

I've no idea if anybody else flys on the Shetland Isles - you're at least 600 miles away from me! But the fact that there was a model shop there suggests there must have been some modelling activity. And taking some "back of envelope" numbers, the BMFA has about 36,000 members. Add a few more for the model flyers who aren't BMFA members and I reckon about 1 in 1000 of the UK population has some involvement in model flying. Population of the Shetland Islands is apparently about 22,000 - so I reckon you're looking at about 20 model flyers there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes - and any questions, just ask!

Hello David,

Welcome to the forum, you will find a wealth of information here and a huge number of very helpful people.

I do agree with John that to be able to join other fliers and have tution will greatly reduce your time to going solo and greatly reduce the cost of match stick production.

By the way I had to smile about your Keil Kraft Jetex I made one a similar time ago and as far as I know it is still flying. On a summers evening, first flight ever it went up..up..up... caught a thermal and I never saw it again.

Cheers Roger

Hi Roger,

yep at least yours went the right way UP up and away. I will look out for it landing up here. But seriously realize that it is going to take me a while on my own and I will be assisting in the import of trees but at this time I have no option. I will keep on looking for someone up here to help me get of the ground.

cheers Davy

hello young dave and wellcome from me...forget about the 70 bit-they are just numbers....you say you have a super cub on its way to you....when you get organised...there are lots of models for you to have a go with......i would prob consider on of the foam one's as they are pretty much 'ding' proof...ideal for a young lad as your self to learn with...

ken anderson......ne..1 ...young lad's dept...

Hello, David. What's the weather usually like in the Shetland Isles? Is it normally fairly windy? If so, then I wonder if it won't be too much for your Super Cub, more often than not. This is something I bang on about fairly often because my club's site is in an exposed and usually fairly windy location. As a beginner, I find that this is very intimidating.

You've done well by joining this site - it really is a mine of useful information and there's always someone there to help with any specific questions.

Regards, Ian.

David

All my ideas of the Shetlands are built on limited experience, of the Ise of Skye whilst on Holiday and visiting my daughter in Inverness and Aberdeen. On that basis i expect there is bags of free space, rather rough tussocked grass for landing on. In addition some good hills near by.

Have you a landing strip?

If not perhaps a model without a UC is necessary.

Have you considered a glider or slope soarer, which are not only great to learn with, but provide a lot of fun.

Another issue being in the highlands, and the slow (than the UK norm) postal service, is planning to purchase some consumables before you need them. Sounds easy, to a large extent comes with experience unfortunately. Perhaps a few propellers, some film for covering, a few sheets of balsa for those inevitable repairs, new build etc.

I am pleased that you have found a good hobby and wish you the best for the future.

Hi Ian, don't believe all you hear about the Shetland weather. The last few weeks have been beautiful flying weather. However when it does get windy it get REALLY WINDY......but we can have all four seasons in an hour. Being a small place there is usually extremes of difference within a few miles. It can we windy and wet in one place but a few miles down the road can be the very opposite. Any ways my stomach tells me it is time to eat..........speak to later....Davy

Hello Erfolg, you are so right about having plenty of space. I look out my window onto beautiful large fields and hills.

No trees to worry about and loads of flat areas for take of and landing (hopefully).As for postal service, this is another myth about the Islands. I can order one day and receive within 2-3 days. However I did order some spares along with my Cub (just in case). This is a good hobby as it gets the old hands and fingers going as well as getting out in the fresh air....thanks for now.....Davy

I am guessing you have lived there for some time. I know my daughter, husband and a few others would rail at the service they received as being considered to be in the Highlands.

If you had been a member of this forum for some time, you would be familiar at the tantrums of some modellers that items ordered the day before, had not landed on there door step early the next morning. Although with many modelling outlets, it can take a day, maybe two, for an item to cross their door step, into the carriers hands (or should that be Logistics Organisation).

I have recently found that even on close cut agricultural land, the small wheels of many models are unable to cope. What is needed is bowling green flatness, cricket pitch prepared and rolled landing strip. Any way testing is the proof of the pudding.

I guess your days are long at present, so have bags of time to build.angel 2

David - if you really are unable to find someone to help you learn to fly - you'd be surprised how many there of us out there, at least contact BMFA 'cos you REALLY NEED insurance and they might be able to put you in contact with local flyers unless there is some sort of data protection nonsense preventing them.

Anyway, If you have to learn on your own I would counsel you to go for a real beginner's airframe - Multiplex EasyStar or HobbyKing Bixler come to mind. Basic stability designed in, so unless you interfere with it, it will effectively fly itself, you just guide the thing. With such an airframe, if you get into trouble, throttle back and take your thumbs off the sticks and it levels out and flies sedately on - get your breath back, and get back to guiding her round the circuit. Landing involves throttling back and keeping into wind.

Once you've got a handle on things both planes will enable you to fly faster and throw in the odd loop and an inelegant roll too.

Good luck, Gurth.

Hi David,don't worry about being 70 i'm only 2 years off that my self . as was said it's only numbers .If you feel you can do it and want to do it then you crack yeson m8 .this forum is a wealth of info and you can learn any thing on here regarding RC flying and building .I wont say it's going to be easy at the start if you are on you own .but once you crack it and enjoy it that's all that matteres .I wish you all the luck in the world keep in touch let us know how you get on .cheers Bernie

Edited By Bernie on 03/08/2013 17:54:02

yep Erfolg, the days are very long at this time of the year. More flying time (once I get there) the nights in the winter are very long (building time). I guess that as time goes on I will see some tantrums and partake in some myself. We are but human I guess. Anyway I will have to close now (am going out to an old boys night) ... cheers

Hello Gurth, I was in the army for 22yrs and used to think that the SGT'S mess was the greatest club on earth. After so many people have welcomed me to this forum I am begining to doubt that. Thanks to all for the tips so far and thanks to you about the easystar and the bixler. I will see how I get on with the Super Cub and after I have demolished it will probably get one of those............Cheers...............Davy

HI, I am not that far off your age!I got back into modelling a couple of years ago, I already knew how to fly so I did not have that problem.Some thoughts- foam and electric is the way to go.Foam either bounces, or if it does break, can be repaired with Gorilla Glue in minutes.Balsa and film was a big repair job.Also, youtube is a mine of information on planes,electrics, soldering,crashes and repairs.The Zero is definately not a novices plane, but may be only two models down the line.Good luck!

Thanks Rob, I only got the Zero as it was I believe a real bargain along with the Spektrum DX5E. As you say maybe two or three models down the line I will put it together and try it out. Anyway it has got me into this Hobby. I will put up a post when I get my Super Cub and manage to get it of the ground. cheers..........Davy

Hi David, Welcome aboard.

The organisation for modellers in scotland is the SAA. Here You will find a list of Scottish clubs on their site here. The nearest one to you is Thurso. Link to their site here. You also get your insurance through membership of SAA. I'm sure they could put you in touch with other flyers in Shetland.

Enjoy this great hobby.

Alwyn

Posted by KingE on 04/08/2013 11:02:09:

Hi David,just my 2 pence worth why dont you look into a simulator phoenix 4 is really good i use this quite a lot. And will save you a lot of models and money in long run mate.

Hi David, I second the Phoenix simulator. Your DX5 transmitter will work fine with it as long as you get the correct lead to connect to that type of transmitter. Futaba, spectrum etc have different connectors on the back so if you do make sure you get the correct lead. I use my sim a lot for the helicopter side of things but a bounce about with a plane is good practice and fun.

I am a highlands man to but I am on the main land part 50 miles up past Inverness. Im well up also. I'm quite sure if you ask the right people you will be surprised who is an RC Plane enthusiast.....

Good luck with you gaining your wings and we all have crash landings. I've had some spectacular ones I tell you.........and some where a black bag is the only answer !!!

Jamie

Hi Jamie, I did in fact go out and get a Phoenix 4 Simulator and up till yesterday that was all I had flown. Took courage yesterday and had the real thing out. I managed 2 good flights without 2 many anxious moments. However on the third I lost it and did a little damage on landing. Mothing to great though and will repair today. I put it down to the simulator that I even got of the ground.

Posted by david chalmers 1 on 10/08/2013 09:19:38:

Hi Jamie, I did in fact go out and get a Phoenix 4 Simulator and up till yesterday that was all I had flown. Took courage yesterday and had the real thing out. I managed 2 good flights without 2 many anxious moments. However on the third I lost it and did a little damage on landing. Mothing to great though and will repair today. I put it down to the simulator that I even got of the ground.

Well done Davie, practice will get you there I'm sure. Orientation is the main cause of crashes where the aircraft beomes a siloette and you cant tell if its coming towards you or away. I find if that happens when I'm flying I just add a small amount of left or right turn to work out which direction its actually heading. You'll be doing loops before you know it. Keep up the good work

Jamie