FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Advert

• 5 months later...

HELP I THINK I'VE Bricked MY HORUS

Tried to Update my X12S firmware today from V2.2.4 to 2.3.2.

The Tx will now not bind to my X Series Receivers, the channel mappings are incorrect and will not recognise a change to Mode 2 from Mode 1.

I reverted back to V2.2.4 which was working perfectly and the Tx is still showing the same issues as above.

Can anybody help and advise I've spent hours trying to fix with no luck.

Steve B

Steve there's always a way back, someone here will be able to help.

It sounds very unusual that an OpenTx ungrade should affect the RF side of things.

Just to check:-

The selections in Companion Settings-Radio Profile must be made BEFORE the firmwre for the radio is downloaded. Because then Companion will download all the correct components for your particular radio.

Are you sure you had the correct radio selected and the correct chckboxes checked before you downloaded the radio firmware?

If no one here comes up with a useful suggestion, then I'd suggest you join here and post your question. The openTx developers are really good about offering support there and you might even have come across a bug that they'd like to know about.

Prob best not to use this for every simple query but for something like this **LINK**

All my X Series RX's are kept to the latest firmware . It also seems that after trying to bind with the updated Tx the Rx swill not go back in to bind mode. Very puzzling at the moment.

Today I'm going to try two things, first remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes from the main board and try again, if that fails revert back to Frsky OS and then back to a known good OpenTx version.

Latest update.

Took the CMOS battery out of the X12s for several minutes to hopefully clear memory.

Reverted back to OpenTx V2.2.4 on the Tx and re flashed an X8R Rx with latest firmware.

Companion Profile Settings = Horus X12S, No Heli, Lua, EU, Default Stick =2, Channel Order = TAER, RF=XJT(D16)

Transmitter seems to be doing everything it should do

I manged to bind with an X8R I'm getting RSSI and Rx Battery Telemetry but no drive to the servo's, I put a Rx tester on the Rx and found there is SBUS output but absolutely nothing on the PWM outputs. I also bound to an S6R Rx and there are outputs on the PWM pins the S6R doesn't have an SBUS connection.

Next step would be to revert back to the FROS to see if that helps then back to OpenTX I'd welcome members thoughts on that. I'm really just wandering if the 2.3.2 update has somehow been affected the RF board? maybe a reversion to FROS may help in this respect

Steve, I've just updated my Horus from 2.2.4 to 2.3.2, first I backed up my tx, then downloaded the v22 SDcard contents and copied them to my tx (tx switched on) and downloaded the .bin file for your options - except that I didn't select EU as I still run D8 receivers in a couple of models. With the tx switched off I selected 'write firmware', it went through the DFutil write process ok so I bound an S6R with a couple of servos. I'm sorry to say it worked for me, including telemetry returns. My tx now shows Opentx v2.3.2 when I look in System.

Can you try downloading the bin file again?  Maybe change a Settings option to force a fresh download?  The other optin is to back up your SDcard, then do a full format on it before reloading the Opentx contents and running the update.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 20/11/2019 17:42:40

Hi Bob

I've done everything you have described above checking and double checking each move.

I hooked a Rx Output checker to my X8R and found the Tx is outputting SBUS signals but there is nothing on the PWM pins. I also bound to an S6R and got it to work from the PWM outputs so the plot thickens.

I thought I would try reverting to FROS but this process doesn't work either.

If you have a normal X series Receiver could I ask if you could see if it outputting fro the PWM pins ?

I'm still thinking something happened on the Rf Board

Posted by Steve Balaam on 20/11/2019 20:22:46:

Hi Bob

I've done everything you have described above checking and double checking each move.

I hooked a Rx Output checker to my X8R and found the Tx is outputting SBUS signals but there is nothing on the PWM pins. I also bound to an S6R and got it to work from the PWM outputs so the plot thickens.

If you have a normal X series Receiver could I ask if you could see if it outputting fro the PWM pins ?

I'm sure you mean " that the RX is outputting SBUS signals".

That tells me that the Tx is working perfectly. Its the RX that is not correctly decoding the signals to PWM.

The RX is clearly receiving the signal correctly. If it were not, there would be no output at all. What it is NOT doing is correctly splitting the SBUS signal down to PWM. (For the benefit of any pedants out there, I know this isn't the correct terminology, but lets stick with what Steve understands.)

I would suggest leaving the Tx alone, and concentrating your efforts on the Rx. Are you sure you got the correct files for the Rx? Try downloading them again, paying particular attention to EU Vs international, and making sure that the correct file is flashed to the correct receiver. It may be worth trying an older version of the Rx firmware, again paying attention to Eu Vs international, and the correct receiver file (X8R, X6R, S8R, S6R, etc...)

Best of luck!

PS: I may have older files for the X8R. PM me if you are still stuck and I'll send them on to you.

--

Pete

Posted by Steve Balaam on 20/11/2019 20:22:46:

Hi Bob

X8R, everything working perfectly, sorry sad. If it weren't for your US setting I'd suggest you checked that you've bound selecting ch1-8 with telemetry or without a shorting plug across channel output pins on the rx. I'd still try downloading again on the off-chance you picked up a corrupted compile. If all else fails try posting on RCGroups Opentx2.3 or Horus threads in the Radio section. A lot of developers visit there on a regular basis or soone else may have seen something similar.

One thing I did notice was that my tx's clock and calendar zeroed themselves!

My X9D+SE 2019 is driving me nuts! I just can't get it to bind.

I think it's an International version as it came from Bangood - how can I tell ?

On the understanding I do have an international Tx, I flashed my Rx, but it still won't bind. What should I check before sending the Tx to T9 to check it's working ..... ?

I'm sure it's going to be worth the rather steep learning curve ...........................

TIA

GG

GG: You haven't done yourself any favours by buying from outside the EU. It may have been cheaper, but you are now paying the price!

It is probable that you have an international version. This *can* be flashed to EU standard, but this means flashing the RF board, NOT the OpenTx operating system. Do not confuse the two! There is no easy way of telling which version of RF firmware you have.

You don't say what kind of receiver you are trying to bind. If you bought it along with the Tx, I would expect it to be compatible. However, the Tx you have bought uses the new ACCESS protocol, along with the older D16 protocol. If you are trying to bind, say and X8R or X6R, it is quite possible that these are using the D16 protocol. Did you select that correctly before trying to bind?

Basically, more information needed!

--

Pete

From what I've read (mostly relating to the Horus rather than Taranis) the RF firmware is common to both EU and ROW, but only dealers can switch between the two. As Peter says, more info is needed. An X series receiver with ROW firmware should bind in ACCST mode (D16), D or V series will not bind, though Mike Blandford has written software to run D series receivers in D16 mode.

The new 2019 version supports ACCESS or D16 (ACCST), as I understand it (I don't have one, so just going on reports!).

I don't know if ACCESS is the same for EU and Rest Of the World (ROW), but certainly D16 is different.

Unfortunately GG hasn't told us exactly what type of receiver he is trying to bind to it, so until we know that, we can't really advise. If he bought it at the same time (and from the same supplier) as the Taranis, I would expect it to be compatible. However, if he bought one from Banggood and the other in the UK, I would anticipate issues!

The naming system (ACCESS and ACCST) is also confusing. I usually refer to it as D16, although the older D8 system is also referred to as ACCST! I've no idea what the ACCESS protocol comes up as. Maybe D24? Its supposed to be 24 channels.

--

Pete