This one's a Fokker (Flair D 7)

Advert

Posted by Terry Walters on 07/09/2013 08:34:14:

You obviously haven't got a tv the Jeff.

Terry

Er,well,ummm, it's funny you should say that..........................embarrassed

Tony, you could say one man's pile of scrap could be anothers next pride & joy !!!

Not much done today as had to take a two hour round trip to my "local" model shop for supplies ,lucky they were open I suppose

imga0728.jpg

imga0729.jpg

after taking ages to clean up the 3/8 sq L/E after removeing the sheet (had a lot of excess glue ) I ripped it off and and had to buy some, as I had nill stock face 5 ( tip;look before you rip !)

imga0730.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OH YES.

Superb job - scale wing capping as well!!! Well done that man. Did you consider putting a servo in each wing? Much easier to set up and adjust, and no slop as you will get with bellcranks.

Mine came from ebaY, built but never covered.... Laser 70 upfront...

d7 55.jpg

d7 56.jpg

Edited By Stevo on 25/09/2013 09:10:10

Nice rendition of Udet’s D7 although there is some doubt as to the colours used, it’s a shame that after going to all that effort to apply a scale colour scheme ( been there, done that , doh ! ) that there is not one dimension that’s close to being right ! Never mind, it’s only aerophile’s like me that would spot that ! nerd

I was lucky to find six NIB FP-S 111 ‘s you can tell that they are old as they have MADE IN JAPAN printed on them ,linear servos are ideal for things like this and for the throttle.

This may be of " interest " if you like Fokker's that is cool !

Edited By jeff2wings on 25/09/2013 22:53:36

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff,

I think the concensus of opinion was that it was red candy stripes, although they may have course been black...

I went for the poular version of red (obviously)... But as you correctly say, with no accurate colour photographs it's a best guess. This was my first attempt at spraying up an aircraft with proper spray gear although I've sprayed before.

I guess B&Q matchpots were not around in 1918 as that's where the lozenge colours came from..!!!

Edited By Stevo on 26/09/2013 08:56:15

The short answer to that is ,no, properly due to its cost, but it’s not that hard to do a DIY version if you intend to paint by hand ,if I was to do a lozenge finish again I would most defiantly use a set of stencils and a airbrush , there was a really excellent article by Paul Blakeborough in the May 2012 edition of RCM&E using this method

I like the B&Q matchpots idea ! yes

imga0757.jpg

imga0756.jpg

use natural or antique solertex and a pencil .....................

imga0755.jpg

all you have to do now is apply and paint crook

Having enthralled every one with a “how to do the blinking obvious “ with marking out the lozenges on solartex, I shall continue with this popular thread until I end up with something that that actually looks like a Fokker D VII ( yes, I am very stubborn ) teeth ! LOL !

And so the saga of a balsa bashing nut continues..................................

imga0758.jpg

classic servo installation ( of a classic servo ! ),a strap will be added on top to stop it from flapping about

imga0759.jpg

I had intended to make new alirons but in the end re-used the original ones after removeing the upper T/E sheet and replaceing the L/E 1/4 sheet with 3/8 and 1/2 tri stock to give a rounded L/E and using Robart hinge points

imga0760.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 6 years later...

You're doing a fine job there (even though you don't know how to spell 'Geoff' ). I have a Flair SE5a I built over 20 years ago that hasn't been flown for about 5 years and is looking quite sorry for itself. Perhaps I should make an effort to treat it as you're treating the D7 - it's nothing like as bad as that was back in 2013!

Geoff

Posted by jeff2wings on 10/10/2020 21:08:09:

Well I suppose it may stop me slacking of for another six years! blush

teeth 2

No probs - have added you to the list. Hopefully the April virtual fly in will act as a motivator as it is for lots of us - I without some kind of deadline to work to I generally put off starting indefinitely!