Crimping Tool for servo extensions

I have just watched the video by Tim Mackey's on how to make servo cable extensions. Great video. I enquired in my local model shop about obtaining the crimping tool but they couldn't help without a name and model no.

It Tim see's this or anybody else with the required info. I would be obliged

Matthew

Advert

The tool I used was bought from Ashlok, who unfortunately no longer trade it. Many questions and suggestions of alternatives have been posed over on THIS the original thread, but as yet, I have not found an alternative as good as the one I have ( expect to pay a goodly sum for a decent set )

The RC world set mentioned above sound more like the price I would expect to pay as a minimum, and THIS looks a lot like mine!

Edited By Tim Mackey on 25/08/2013 18:50:09

A hint...

Make sure that you buy plenty of crimps. It takes (OK, it took me) a bit of practice before you can get a reliable connection.

B hint...

Always give the wire a good tug to check the quality of the connection. I used to work in the electronics industry, we used crimps very similar to those in servo leads. Quite a common problem was that a wire was crimped on the insulation. The wire might touch the brass, but the connection would not be reliable. A good tug would pull the wire out of the crimp.

Plummet

Might be worth checking with Fighter Aces? No price yet but perhaps they're expecting stock soon?

I'm 99% certain that this is the tool Tim has and (if if they're anywhere near the price that was being charged on the Canadian site) I'd say they would be a very good investment.

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/08/2013 10:40:06

• 1 year later...

I too use the HK one but find if I position the connector in the tool to crimp the insulation, the platens that crimp the conductor are too short and leave a mm or so uncrimped. I just move the connector in the tool and crimp again. I'm using servo type connectors btw, some I bought from a club member and some from HK. Anybody else find this?

Graham

I can recommend these crimpers from Hanson's in the USA. They are excellent and the crimped connectors slot straight into the plastic housing without any faffing around after crimping. The auto wire strippers from screwfix work really well also, these are a great piece of kit.

image.jpg

Edited By david fillingham 1 on 07/04/2015 19:51:31

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

A very good article. Having been involved professionally in wiring harness design/prototyping and using very expensive hand crimping tools (hundreds of pounds each for genuine Molex and AMP designed for specific types of terminal) the 'twenty quid specials' that are about leave me worrying about their quality of crimp produced. Crimping is a highly engineered process conforming to exact standards, so tools that are little better than pound shop pliers can't be expected to come close. - In the article, the writer refers to "straightening out a crimp after forming" which is a sure sign of using an improper or maladjusted (where adjustable) tool for the job. If you do have a go at doing your own crimps with a cheap universal  tool, do inspect the result with a watchmakers glass or similar. The pull test is not infallible as I've rejected terminations that are well crimped on the insulation strain relief but improperly made on the conductor. Anyway, done all this to death in other threads.

The mention of tin plated terminals is significant - so few of our cables come with gold flashed terminals these days and I think a lot of problems are caused by oxidised and worn connections, especially where models are stored in less than ideal conditions in sheds and cold garages etc.

Edited By Cuban8 on 26/07/2020 12:48:35