Dereck Woodward

Tim Hooper

Yes, cooking is allowed on the campsite! We fly at a pleasant, secluded farm site about 1 mile from Moreton-in-Marsh. Campsite has a water supply and toilets. You can arrive on the Friday evening and stay until Monday if you wish.

We have a modelling Bring & Buy sale on both days and we have a barbecue on the Saturday afternoon/evening.

Our show consists low-stress, 'off-the-peg' flying and any type of model is welcome. We also have areas for control line and small-field freeflight.

Spread the word!

Advert

Posted by Martin Harris on 14/02/2014 00:56:15:

My interpretation of the instructions is that this is just the standard sandwich method and what Dereck emphasised was, as there is no sweepback, making sure the leading edges of the tip and root templates - and their centrelines - are aligned before drilling the locating holes.

After drilling the holes you then build your stack of oversize blanks - best to drill the holes a couple of blanks at a time unless you have an accurate vertical drill, to ensure the bolts used line up with the holes in the far end template.

The length of the ribs then takes care of itself when sanding the trailing edge of the stack.

thanks for the clarification Martin. I am now at the stage where I have two wing panels and need to add the webs and then join them. Am I right in saying that I will need to cut a slot in both R2's to allow the ply wing brace / Dihedral joiner to be butted up against the spars? It is too long (as shown on the plan) to fit between them without cutting. I cant see how else to do it.

Pleased to hear that yours flew well after the rebuild. I hope to have mine completed and in the air in the next few weeks.

Posted by Jack Banner on 25/04/2014 08:38:50:

thanks for the clarification Martin. I am now at the stage where I have two wing panels and need to add the webs and then join them. Am I right in saying that I will need to cut a slot in both R2's to allow the ply wing brace / Dihedral joiner to be butted up against the spars? It is too long (as shown on the plan) to fit between them without cutting. I cant see how else to do it.

Pleased to hear that yours flew well after the rebuild. I hope to have mine completed and in the air in the next few weeks.

Had some delightful flying with her yesterday in ideal conditions.

The build article isn't very comprehensive, is it? I assume you've completed the D box sheeting and spar webs before attempting to join the wings?

At this point, the structure will be rigid enough to remove the required wood from R2 and R3 prior to joining the wings with a good bond to the top and bottom spar pieces as well as the webbing. The joints between the floating rear parts of the ribs and the back of the joiner are reinforced by the servo hatch screw blocks so they don't rely on absolute accuracy when cutting the rib, which I would do with a razor saw at the joint location and then remove the "tab" that's left.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Isn't it a pity that MyHobbyStores can't even get the name right on Dereck's scale model of the Flivver! An error that has been there for months.

RCM Plans in USA. published Dereck's Squert plan. They also list the Flivver and Bubbles. (There have been many problems in people getting their plans from RCM so don't order there unless it's clear they are still in business )

• 2 weeks later...

I'm numb. I just happened upon this thread. It was quite a shock to find out Dereck had shuffled off this mortal coil some time ago. His column in RCMW was the first time any of my models appeared in print. Such a dry sense of humour, he will be sadly missed.

Now then, what's really bizarre is that approximately two hours before finding out about his untimely passing, I'd dug out the Amelia plan specifically - looking for something to scratch the build itch with. Spooky....

It's going to be a race to get it finished in time for the North Cotswold bash in August.

See you there!

Julian

• 1 month later...

I signed up to pay my respects.

I built the "squert" back in 2000 and it was a joy to build and fly, even in the days of weak motors and heavy battery packs.

I noticed his sense of humor when in the RCM article he says "Noticed the lack of spars? Good, you're awake!".

I've used this sparless method of building several times since, and I think it is wonderful, light and strong.

Unfortunatelly I have not come upon this page sooner so it could be mentioned at the Memorial that even this far he was known and admired.

He will be missed.

Ricardo Jorge

Campinas, SP Brazil