An embarrassing accident

Jamie Hardie

Hi folks

Being new to helis I just picked up a second hand twister medivac today and have been having immense fun with it.  Anyway, I have just arrived home from the pub and decided to go for a fly around the kitchen.   Unfortunately I managed to land my medivac in the washing up bowl.  (yup go on...you can laugh, its ok )

Obviously this played hell with the electrics and I managed to retrieve the heli with the rotors still spinning and refusing to stop.  I immediately disconnected the lipo.  Do you think this has ruined my model or is there a chance it may be okay once dry.  Also, how do lipos handle a good dunking in water?

Any advice or general mikey taking welcome.  

Thanks folks

Wouldn't dare take the mickey Jamie

Seriously, the model may just be ok, go over it with a hairdryer and see if it works - the Li-Po on the other hand is less likely to have survived. Has it puffed up?

All you can do is see it it holds charge but charge it up outside whatever you do and away from just about everything!

You obviously missed my post of a few months back. My Twister spent around 4 weeks in a neighbours tree, through all the gales and lashing rain we experienced at that time. It was finally recovered after said neighbour found her cat " playing with something on the lawn" Hmm. "

2 new blades, a replacement tail boom, and 20 mins in a slightly warm oven - all flew fine again !

PS DO not put the Lipo in the oven !!    I ditched the Lipo 'cos it had gone below 2v per cell and was nafffed. 

Thanks for your replies.

The lipo has not puffed up and doesnt appear to have discharged any after its little adventure.  I dont think I'll be connecting anything to anything until a little later today just to give things a chance.  There is a little water trapped under the thin plastic coating which surrounds the lipo but I'm lead to believe the actual battery units are pretty well sealed.  

I did a little research and found lots of similar stories (most involving deep puddles, nothing quite as flamboyant as a washing up bowl ) and most folks report their model to be fine as long as it is left to dry for at least a day so I reckon I'll play that horrible waiting game.  At least when I was waiting for the postman to deliver it I knew I was going to be rewarded, that may not be the case here. 

Hehe

Floats would not have helped much I'm afraid Alan.  She came spinning out of the sun (the kitchen lightbulb) with all her alarms sounding.  There was nothing that could have been done, I was grappling with the controls screaming at the top of my lungs "We're going in!! We're going in hard!!!"  when the girlfriend (who was trying to sleep at the time) came bursting into the kitchen and distracted me for those fatal final few moments.  I realised all hope of saving her had ebbed away and sank to the floor huddling the transmitter, the dog licking my ashen face.

Yup, all her fault.

Bit of an update. Tested it out and the battery seems fine as do the servos but the first time I fired it up the top rotor was spinning gently on idle. After disconnecting and trying again the top rotor does not spin at all. A new 4 in 1 box you think?

Edited to say that the green light on the 4 in 1 box comes on and remains constant. 

The top rotor is definately dead Eric which leads me to believe that there is either a problem with the motor or the 4 in 1 box.  I'm not sure how to diagnose this correctly without access to spare parts and money is extremely tight at the moment so I have to be certain before I order any replacements.

As a further note I swapped the motor leads around to check the operation of both motors and both rotors work when plugged into the lower socket on the 4 in 1 box.  Its starting to look like it might be the box after all - anyone have a spare one kicking about they would like to sell?

Well, I got a new 4 in 1 box today, while I was at the model shop I took some advice from the guy behind the counter about trimming since I didnt really have a clue.  You will all be relieved to hear that she flies like a dream now, much to the horror of the cats.

Thanks for the help and advice folks! 

Hi. I to have a twister V2 its real pig of a heli bits break  off it at the thought of flight I have a large rear garden that has trees surrounding it my lawn is 45' across bothways but it is not enough for this heli as it  likes to levitate sideways left at a great  rate of knots & if it makes contact with anything its sure to shed something or other  - I may be new to heli,s but I ,ve been practiceing on the flight sim & I dont get the same problems, is it me or has this heli  got it in for me . The dog does not like either the areoplanes he wil put with but not the heli.Sick of spending on it.

Hi John

Add wind to your Sim.  If it does the same then it is probably you    However I suspect it is not you.   If you are new to Helis and you are trying to fly it straight out of the box.  When it says ready to fly and test flown always take that with a pinch of salt.  I would you suggest that you set your trims to centre on your elevator and aileron on your TX. Then check your swashplate is level all directions. I suspect in your case it is probably leaning to the left.  If it is - then switch off and ajust the linkages accordingly to bring it to the horizontal.

Hopefully that should cure the problem. Nearly every heli when set up properly in the hover should not move more than a couple of feet in any direction.

good luck  Al

Hello Alan B  I did not fly fly straight out the box & I did set the trims to nuetral as advised . the swash plate is inclined slightly to the right -is does not effect its ability to zip off to the left though I have tried to ajust various things but nothing will stop it going left left left & more bl---dy  left now its Left on the shelf .

Hmm!

You could always go drastic and ajust lots more right and see what happens.   Or perhaps the bades are damaged as you have been trimming few trees or dogs. Or threaten it or something or get it exorcised by a local priest!  Not one of my favourite helis I must say. Perhaps the dog dosn't like it because he has met another dog!

Dont let it put you off!  If all else fails you could always sell your body and purchase something like a T - Rex! 

Best wishes   Al

PS I presume you have checked the Pitch of both blades to check that they are equal