Suggestions for ~30" 3ch Low Speed Plane Kit

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I'm slowly returning to this hobby after 20 year absence. I gave in back then after crashing my first plane so have re-started out with a cheap Hobbyzone Champ RTF. I then built a Micro Super 60 (~ 24" wingspan, balsa+tissue). Having some issues with it turning left (right thrust maybe) but flies!

The problem with these is that there has to be virtually zero wind so I have to pick my moments (dawn - dusk).

I really like vintage kit balsa RC models. The Micro Super 60 I built from scratch. This time I'd like something I can fly in a slight breeze so I'm guessing ~ 30" wingspan. I'd like to buy a complete kit this time. Is there such a thing?

Another reason for the relatively small wingspan is I'm a lone "park" flyer (for now). That is another topic! I love the Ben Buckle style kits and I'm an electric convert

Any suggestions anyone?

Many Thanks

David

Advert

hello david....wellcome from me.......i would say you should consider a JNR 60...electric version....it will cope with a certain amount of wind and is 3 function and for a model designed in the 1940's(young asher's) era is really very stable...they are avalable in kit form(i think) and even if not are easy to build from a plan........60" wingspan-but a load of fun...

ken anderson.......ne...1 JNR 60 dept...

David,

Welcome to the forum. I think any slow flier/vintage type model is going to struggle in a wind.

A couple of models off the top of my head would be Vic Smeeds Tom Boy which is a proven cabin type vintage model with a 36" span. These were originally designed as a free fliight model but are easily adaptable for todays micro RC gear.

HERE is a link to a part kit

The second model is a Clancy Lazy Bee, plans are still available but I beleive they are no longer kitted.

Rich

Hi David ,

Sounds like you may be describing this ,

lbspecial372a.jpg

dscf0777.jpg

It has a 30" wing span slow and easy to fly and will not stall , Built like a vintage model and would suite the park .

And will also fly in light wind conditions . Flight times of 30 minuets have been achieved on a single 500mah battery .

But its not a kit or plan sadly .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 15/09/2013 19:21:15

Hi David. A lot of the old kits are still available from the likes of Replikit. Just Google keilkraft, or veron.

One that springs to mind is the KK outlaw. About 40ins span single channel trainer. It would convert very easily to modern park fly multi channel and be a bit better on windier days. It was my first RC plane and it bounced well ! I have the plans if you want a copy.

kevinb.