Brian Taylor Bf 110 build.

Bucksboy

After ordering last week, inside a week the laser cut short kit for the Brian Taylor Bf 110 has arrived. I ordered the cockpit moulding at the same time and that arrived, well packed and all in good condition.

I've had the plans for ages and after the demise of my BT 109 I've decided to make a twin.

BT Bf 109I like the way he designs his planes and the short kit takes all the hard work out of the build. This is a simpliefied model, no flaps and he used fixed undercarriage.

First impressions are very good, the wood is nearly falling out from the blanks and most parts are marked with their part number.

Hopefully it will fly next summer in time for our club Scale Competition. I intend to electrify this one to get over the perils of one engine quitting. I'll also put electric retracts in too, it can't have the bits dangling down. The plane will be glassed, he gives a target weight of 8.5 lbs for a 72" wingspan plane. I doubt if I'll get that light though.

Advert

You don't see many built, I saw one some years back I think not long after the plan pack was first relased. Despite the layout the single engine performance was not great and that's possibly the answer. Electric should largely resolve that however so will make a refreshing change to see one again. Whatching again with much interest. Linds

Should be interesting to follow along, there are an enlarged pair being built over on RCSB that are ready for paint.

You can get some nice three blade Ramoser props that should just set the model off nicely, not cheap but i think they are worth it.

Yep leccy is the way to go with twins... you getting nervous Linds wink 2

Cheers

Danny

I made a start with the tailplane last night, I think that I'm going to be a regular listener to Jo Whilley on R2 as I build.

The rudders on the original are operated by a central bell crank that in turn is operated by a servo in the main body. I intend to fit a mini servo in the tail to operated the rudders. I know that this in turn add weights to the tail but I also intend to look at making the whole tail section removeable, I'm worried about transport damage with a long body and a large tail. I hope to build a system that allows me to remove the tail and unplug the servo at the end of the day.

dsc02102.jpgThe rear stabiliser is split horizontally and then glued together when both halves are built.

The main fuselage sides are 1/2" thick balsa and the cutters have given me four 1/4" bits to join with lots of glue area. It would have been nice to give each piece a different pattern as all the joints now appear inthe same place.

dsc02105.jpgThese 1/4" pieces are doubled up to give 1/2" sides. These in turn are then glued to a further 1/4" piece thats not shown.

The simple box at the front of the fuselage is coming together, it was all framed together with set squares and then clamped. I need the tail area built so I can see if I can prgress with this idea of making the tail surfaces removeable. First thoughts are that it's awfully small down the back and there may not be space to hide all the necessay bits.

dsc02108.jpg

The formers are all at 90 degrees as there isn't any side thrust to worry about.

dsc02109.jpg

The bottom piece of wood is a 1/2' piece of balsa, this will ensure everything stays all square. I may be able to reinforce the front former and then open up a hole in it to shove the battery/batteries another 1-2" further forward.

A nice weekend is forecast so I doubt if much building will be done.

That all glued up nice and square so I moved to the back end.

I'm perservering with having a removeable tail and have managed to fit the servo underneath the stabiliser to control the rudders. The servo then fits down into the very small fuselage. Also in the same area is the tail wheel bulkhead and still to pass through the same area is the elevator pushrod/snake.

dsc02113.jpgThe tail wheel bulkhead is not glued in for the photo, I'm still working out whether it's all feasible. I've glued some ply to the outside of the longerons to add some strength back after I filed away some fom the inner faces to allow space for the servo.

BEB, I think I'll pop to the shop today and see what I can buy that's smaller. That isn't a full size servo by the way, it's similar to a SD200 in size.

The snake for the elevator will have to go over the top of the tailwheel former and under the servo. The tailwheel snake will stop at the former. I'll play today to see what fits..

I've been foolishly looking at one small problem without looking at as a whole. I hadn't considered the elevator connection. Its easy to unplug the rudder servo but I'd forgotten the elevator. There is precious little room and consequently no space to make and undo the connection to the elevator.

So, I'll build it as BT suggests, no wonder he designs fantastic model planes and I don't.

Hi Bucksboy, my two penny worth on your dilemma, depending on how much you've got to play with the c of g/weight distribution, could you put the elevator servo back there too and do what the large scale boys do and have a join in the fuselage so that the whole tail unit comes off?

Love the Bf110, watching your build with great interest, may get to build the same kit myself one day!

Edited By Glenn Stratton on 25/09/2013 08:53:38

Thanks gents, I think I'll go with what the Master shows on his plan. I'll just have to be careful with it when moving it around. That was the only point of the exercise, to make it easier to transport. I'll hopefully make the rudders up this morning and post later, thats the plan anyway.

Gents, I'm sorry but this build is going to go into storage until the New Year. Two of us have bought the TN Mustang and intend to build them straight away for the winter flying season. This build will entertain me through the early part of 2014. Thanks for your comments but one man can only build so many models in a tiny workshop!