Glider ID needed

Orange Box - I built one when the plan was given away. Originally it was used on a bungee, then with a pod mounted 049 glow, it also was thrown off Mill Hill during holidays in Worthing with the MIL in the 80s, and finally got a 600 size motor inserted in it's snout before finally being condemned a few years ago. I had a second set of short span wings for windy slope sessions.

There's no doubt that it is an excellent design for general sport flying and makes a good trainer, at it's best 'wheezing it's way up' - it's just a different beast to the sleek warm/hotliners you see today.

Advert

I've just come across this thread and immediety had a flash back. I built an Orange Box back in the late eighties and taught my eldest son the finer points of slope soaring. Not only is a great model to learn gliding with, it's a good model to learn building too. Even though I still have the original free plan (now used and abused), I couldn't help buying another unused free plan at a local swap meet.......just in case! image.jpg

Two very happy lads with their Orange Box, courtesy of dad!

Mission successful! Had a flight with my bixler and got an idea where the lift was. Got the orange box rigged and gave it a good shove, a slight touch of up and off it went. A really good and stable flyer. Learned a lot in my first slope session. Sustained a bit of damage when my dog ran into it when she was being chased by another dog. Now fixed and battery charged ready to go again tomorrow.

managed out on sunday as well. conditions were ok both days very overcast with about 1500m visibility. wind required on the slope is an easterly or north easterly. lift seemed strongest when wind was just off the trees in the bottom of the picture below. it's not a big slope but when the wind blows from the east there is nothing in it's path till it hits the slope. the edge of the town visible is Barrhead just outside Glasgow & Paisley.

the bixler wasn't that great on the slope, i seemed to be getting wing flex and blown about in the stronger gusts. the orangebox was great though. will need to investigate cheap options for something a bit more slope focused. any suggestions?

img_20140330_143947.jpgimg_20140329_151104.jpg

img_20140330_161335.jpg

If you fancy a build a Chris Foss Middel Phase 2 with ailerons might fit the bill, or the Phase 6 Sport. They'll both fly fairly light winds, but can be ballasted up for really windy conditions if needs be. There are plenty of great composite slopers available too, dependant upon how much you want to spend. My current favourite, mainly due to it's portability and relatively cheap cost, is the latest incarnation of the RCRCM Sunbird.

Another good place to look for a good kit to build is Phoenix MP. But if you want something that's a really good and robust flier, I cannot recommend more highly the SAS Wildthing . I have been flying mine for nearly 3 years and have just finished recovering it, so it should be good for another 3 years. The 46" version is the most popular and thousands must have been sold over the years. You will have to telephone Alan Head to order it, but be prepared to be on the phone for a good hour as Alan does love to chat.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

It seems that the sky had a purply hue, in your picture, that our own had a few days back. This made flying a bit more demanding, in that constant observation of the model was required to ensure that orientation did not become an issue. Did it cause you any issues?

I do believe that the list of suitable model is almost limitless, often purely dependant on the wind.

I have a Ridge Rover that is also a good machine in most conditions.

Of far greater importance was that the flight was successful, gave a degree of satisfaction and was fun.

Thanks for the suggestions. I probably need to have something that is capable of slope and thermal. Not sure if anything will be that versatile? It will also need to be fairly resiliant as I've still got my L plates on!

I think I had the camera setting on the wrong one. The sky was a fairly murky grey. It did take on a strange hue at times. Only when the glider was heading directly away from me and the profile was low was it a problem, sunglasses probably never helped. I should really have had on my low light cycle glasses.

I use an Easyglider as a slope/thermal hack. It has a motor that's capable of getting it to 200mtres in 30 secs for flat field launches & has fairly good thermal hunting ability. From the slope it will fly from in very light through to a moderate breeze. It will do all the basic aerobatics quite well although the roll rate is leisurely. This can be speeded up a bit by mixing some rudder in with ailerons (even though they should be working in opposition during the inverted phase). The same 3s lipo is used for all flying but I never use the motor when flying on the slope.

• 3 weeks later...

img_20140419_155821.jpgimg_20140419_155752.jpgHi All,

Please need help in identifying the above bird, she came to me through a friend of a friend of a friend. can anybody ID this powered glider, also any information on C of G and the weight. weight without batteries is about 900g. This will be my first attempt at glider / 3 channel flying. Any recommendations / thoughts? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

img_20140419_155802.jpg Does anyone know if this is normal / correct seems like the wing is joined by some kind of tape, does this serve any purpose is it meant to be a flexible joint? img_20140419_155810.jpg

Many thanks guys,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forum! That is a Ripmax Nebula 2000E, Jack - mine disappeared into a cloud last July and I haven't seen it since...crying 2

There's some info in threads here and here.

The wings are polyhedral and each section remains rigid in relation to its neighbour. It may be that the constructor has not glued the wing joiners in that joint but has used tape to stop them slipping apart. Perfectly sound method and allows a bit of 'crashability'.

Can't recall the C of G but I've got the instruction booklet here. If I can't find a PDF on the 'net, PM me your email and I'll scan the booklet and send it to you.

Pete

Hi Jack

normally a taped wing joint is to allow for removal of the

outer wing panels for transportation. Not uncommon with larger wing span

gliders. Looks like electrical tape to me so should come off fairly cleanly

and easily.

allows you to fit the glider in a normal size

car boot. I suspect this is the reason for taped joint on your glider.