What would you want on the short list if I was to run a poll to find our favourite all-time foamie?

David Ashby - Moderator

Advert

I've only had three foam models, but I love all of them.

My Formosa is still soldiering on despite taking a beating over the years and is a lovely mini pattern model.

I relearned slope soaring using the fabulous Wild Thing and it goes with me every time I go up a hill. So much fun and no worries about crashing.

But my current favourite is my Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak. This is an astoundingly good model and I've managed to learn some 3D tricks with it, which is something of an achievement for me.

All three should qualify as classics.

The jury still out so far as I'm concerned with foamies, not my favourite modelling medium but all the same:

• I too have taught a total beginner on the Parkzone T28 Trojan
  • My Durafly Sea Vixen looks the business and flies well
  • I wouldn't go to a slope without my SAS Fusion

So they are the three for me to consider and the Fusion has it hands down. Since the SAS Fusion and the latest SAS Wildthing are now only marginally different (the shape of the fin) it might be appropriate to mention them together.

Ian

I only have two foamies* - the PZ Spitfire and the PZ Extra 300. So I'm not sure I'm really qualified to vote owing to lack of experience to compare them against! But, while the Spit is great - its not "all time great" territory. But the Extra really is something a bit special I think. So I'll propose that.

BEB

* - I do have a P2000 but I don't class that as an aeroplane. wink 2

MPX Funjet, possibly the most versatile foamie at the moment. They can be built lightweight enough to fly indoors, built standard for outdoors with power ranging from 100W to well over a Kilowatt , can be turbine powered, EDF powered, and even slope soared. Oh, and used for FPV. Did I miss anything?

Let's start in 1982 ----- my 40 powered Stratos, a flat plate foam and balsa "almost delta" by Hanno Prettner.

Zagi - either with or without a high kV inrunner, the FunJet, the EasyGlider Pro (and I think the Solius might be going the same way).

All have been copied - but are still very much The Original And The Best.

What is my criterion for them being favourites - when I irretrievably smashed one - I had to replace them with another to the point that the only one missing from the hangar at the moment is the Stratos, and I have the old plan and all the materials for another this Winter - but this time it will have a big old outrunner on the front.

GWS Formosa - the most fun you can have £20 that doesn't involve illegal substances or dodgy websites

Multiplex Easy Glider E - with a brushless motor and 2S 3300 LiPo you can stay up all day

Acoms Cessna 172 - the original foamie ARTF from 1982. Years ahead of its time - hampered by the electric technology of the time.

In no order:

GWS Tiger Moth - hundreds of fun flights with that

MPX TwinStar - a twin that flies brillianty on such humble elektrickery

Durafly Mk24 spit - looks and flies soooooooooooo good, costs so little

Parkzone micro Trojan - it's close to a flying airfix

EFlite AS3X Sbach - so so so clever

EFlite Inverza - the way it flies makes up foir the cost/QC niggles

Are we going to have a poll for favourite non - foamy ?

GG

Twinstar 2, mine has lasted 7 years so far and has the basic brushed 400 motors and 9.6v and 10.8 v Ni mH batteries. So far the motors have been replaced once, and one wing servo has also been replaced plus the speed controller twice.

Other foamies I have owned do not fly as well as the Twinstar.

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 26/09/2013 12:42:00

Definitely the Easy Star, Twin Star and the FunCub and I'd add the Dynam Tiggie. I've got two trad built Tiger Moths, but the Dynam foamie flies equally well and is so neasy to stack in the back of the Patrol and take anywhere without having to break it down.