Barnstormer Boys

David Davis

I’ve cut top hinged ailerons into the last five 3" bays of each wing to a depth of 4 inches on a 14 inch cord, this is as per plan.

With regard to dihedral the instructions that came with my Mighty Barnstormer plan say that the “wing dihedral may be reduced by up to 1 inch under each tip for models featuring proportional controlled ailerons.” Not being too sure what the 3 channel dihedral should be (since this is not specified it being fixed by dihedral braces) I elected to pack up each tip by 1 inch, partly in order to avoid the drooping wing look of a flat wing but also to preserve the look of the original to some extent. With hindsight I thing a half inch under each tip would have been better but the joiner tube is now glued into position so that’s it.

As an aside I have extended each wing panel by three inches, this being one extra rib bay, because of the higher flight payload of the flight batteries and the sound system. This I think brings the wing loading back to approximately that of the original design.

Regards Dave

My understanding is that most models do not have ailerons extending right to the tip to avoid flutter. As we all know flutter can rip an aileron off at the hinges and if still partially attached it often causes a crash.
Some models have the (strip) ailerons tapered to almost nothing at the tip if they extend all the way to the tip. e.g. Gangster etc, etc.

Boddo kept the ailerons well away from the tip on the Mark One, in fact a full rib bay plus all the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the way Boddo did the ailerons on the Mark One ( a modernised Barnstormer 63 with a slight sweep back to wings and other changes) The ailerons are further inboard than expected. I suppose this is the way to put ailerons on a Barnstormer unless someone has a proven way that is better. However the actual model Boddo is shown holding does not seem to have ailerons, so maybe nobody has built a Mark One with ailerons yet.barnstaileron.jpg

Posted by David Davis on 21/10/2013 08:30:57:

Would anybody be interested in wearing a tee shirt with "Barnstormer Boy" or "Barnstormer Boys" written on it at Greenacres? If so what colour should we choose? Orange so that we can find one another? smiley

If there's enough interest I'll get some prices.

Yes I would be interested - let me know costs please?

Posted by Andy Green on 19/11/2013 16:34:27:

T shirt sounds a good idea, but I'm sure there will some 'Official' tee shirt nearer the time there usually is. Could we not have Barnstormer Boys across the back of these, so we still get the RCM&E / Greenacres logo.

I like the idea of Orange.

Andy

Hi Andy and all, David Ashby has the design and supply of T shirts and prob fleeces, caps etc. in hand he's approaching phil@eliteworkwear who did a great job of producing them this year at a very reasonable cost too

Watch out for a fresh thread with details reasonably soon.

Phil

Posted by jolliffee on 19/11/2013 16:31:17:

I need some advice please.

I am building Mighty Barnstomer but don't know what to cover it in, the choice seems hugedisgust!

I have a Seagull Decathelon EP that is Yellow so I was thinking that would be nice but- helpblush

Edited By jolliffee on 19/11/2013 16:32:55

Hi jolliee my choice is to use solatex, the textured finish gives a more traditional look. as you'll see from this link there's a good selection of colours.

Phil

1. Joliffee, I think that the Barnstormers look like 1930s racing aircraft, so silver-aluminium wings and tailplane would look uberkool with the fuselage in a contrasting darker colour, a racing number and a civilian registration. Thinking about it, an all silver scheme would look good too.

With a model the size of a Mighty Barnstormer I'd be inclined to use Solartex or Glosstex unless you fancy going down the silk or nylon and dope route. Channel 4 Models are offering some of the Solartex colours at a discount. Some of my club colleagues have used coat lining material (Dacron) which they bought from local haberdashers. Once applied to the wing it's sealed with dope.

2. It looks as if there might be some interest in orange "Barnstormer Boys" tee shirts. I chose orange because it's the most visible of all of the colours, that's why life rafts are made in orange, and we would only have to look out for the orange tee shirts to find each other. When I imported the Telemasters I had some blue tee shirts made up with orange writing on the front stating "Telemaster Sales UK" and "Nothing Flies Like a Telemaster" on the back. I'll approach my supplier for some prices.

Edited By David Davis on 20/11/2013 06:42:34

Posted by Phil Winks on 19/11/2013 19:39:56:

Hi Andy and all, David Ashby has the design and supply of T shirts and prob fleeces, caps etc. in hand he's approaching phil@eliteworkwear who did a great job of producing them this year at a very reasonable cost too

Watch out for a fresh thread with details reasonably soon.

Phil

I gained the impression that Elite Work Wear were working on a generic Greenacres-RCM&E tee shirt and not a Barnstormer Boys tee shirt.

Posted by Andy Green on 20/11/2013 10:35:46:

Yes that's true, but I'd rather one of these with Barnstormer Boys across the back. Won't be able to buy 2. I'm sure the 'Official' printer will be able to accomodate.

I'll keep quiet now see what transpires.

Andy

Hi Andy I'm guessing there's nothing stopping someone arranging an alternative supply of T shirts.

From my chat with david it looks like the different build sections will have the option of their section name, ie: Barnstormer, dawn flyer etc printed in a prominent position and as for choice of colours phil had a good selction for this years

Phil

Andy, No I dont have a "lager image"! - I dont drink! Seriously. I only have the tiny plan in the magazine. I assume by 'taper'you mean the angle the wings are swept back, because of course the Mark One is still a parallel chord wing.. The angle seems to be 10 degrees along the leading edge. i.e each LE is 85 degrees to the centre line of the fuselage ( instead of 90 degrees each side is swept back by 5 deg making total 10 deg.)
Note that this affects the CG. The CG is marked on this tiny plan, measured with digital caliper it is 14.87mm back on a chord of 36.86mm, which I make about 40percent (40.34 actually). I think you should check this in case I am wrong or inaccurate in measuring.
Frankly I feel that sweep back spoils the look rather than enhancing it! Note that the tailplane and fin are a different shape on the Mark One compared to a Barnstormer. Also they are solid balsa with large cut out holes to lighten. Cockpit appears set back a bit and the turtledeck seems higher.

Edited By kc on 20/11/2013 19:03:35

Edited By kc on 20/11/2013 19:06:02

Posted by jolliffee on 21/11/2013 12:31:19:

I was planning on using Futaba S3004 standard servos for the aileron on my Mighty Barnstormer but wasn't sure if they were needed I have a couple of the HK 929MG digital mini servos spare and wondered what other Barnstormers were going to use or thoughts? Thanks

I will be building the Baby Barnstormer so none of this will apply, but for what it's worth, I have used standard sized Futaba S148 servos in both my six-foot Telemaster 40 and in my eight-foot Senior Telemaster without any problems. Mind you I do tend to fly them fairly gently.

Senior TelemasterSenior Telemaster