Barnstormer Boys

David Davis

Advert

Posted by Dave Miller on 15/12/2013 13:02:40:

I’ve finally got around to assembling the beast and running the engine on load for the first time.

With a JXF 17x10 propeller I got 7,150 rpm, I have no idea if that’s good or not but it did seem to be sucking quite well. Now all I need is a warmish dry day for the maiden flight.

That's more or less the same rpm I get from my ST 2500 on a APC 17x10 ! smile o looks realy great btw yessmile d

Posted by jeff2wings on 15/12/2013 15:05:51:

I’ve finally got around to assembling the beast and running the engine on load for the first time.

With a JXF 17x10 propeller I got 7,150 rpm, I have no idea if that’s good or not but it did seem to be sucking quite well. Now all I need is a warmish dry day for the maiden flight.

That's more or less the same rpm I get from my ST 2500 on a APC 17x10 ! smile o looks realy great btw yessmile d

Thanks, that's reassuring but I bet your ST's "batteries" last longer than mine. wink

That looks superb Dave wouldn't have thought the more modern colour scheme would suit her but it does very well, with xmas coming in at a gallop I should get time to start mine real soon, and after your success with that bright scheme I may be re-thinking mine, perhaps I should follow my theme from last years build in blue and yellow ??

Phil

9 whole.jpg

Hi Dave. I was wondering how much dihedral you have gone for? Hope you don't mind the questions?

• 2 weeks later...
I have not got the 63 plan yet, so can anyone tell me the chord of the 63 inch wing please?

Reason I want to check this is because I already have a set of DB 'Richtofen' ribs which I suspect are identical to the Barnstormer. It would be interesting also to know the maximum depth of the Barnstormer ribs including sheeting.

Thanks.

Thanks Nigel, they are not quite the same then.
The Richtofen is 248 mm chord which includes a 1/2 inch leading edge ( say 13 mm)so the actual ribs are 235mm which is close enough to your 238mm. The depth of Richtofen ribs is 31mm but that has no wing sheeting.so with 1.5mm sheeting top & bottom it would be 34mm -- a bit different but not significant on a parasol wing.

If your plan does not quite match the actual ribs it may be because of a photocopy or blueprint stretching a bit in one dimension. I always run a ruler over any plan to ensure all the bits match. Often they vary a few millimetres, so it helps to know this before construction starts so any errors can be allowed for.

I assume the Barnstormer has a huge chunk of balsa for the leading edge like the 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch shown for the Richtofen. I would always make the wing with a 'false' leading edge of 1/8 inch and cover this with the 1/16 inch sheeting overlapping the 1/8 by a fraction. After the glue has dried then sand the sheeting back flush to the false leading edge. Then a thicker LE is glued on front. To save too much shaping this can be several layers each a little narrower to get close to the eventual shape. Saves a lot of balsa and a lot of dust or shavings!
I hope anyone can understand my description - if not I will draw a diagram.

I hope your all slipping a new blade into your swann Morton's ready for the off ! winklaugh

My Barnstormer 63 is now finished ,so will be back on the 72 and make a start on the 52

imga0926.jpg

imga0927.jpg

decided not to bother with the headrest just didn't look right

imga0928.jpg

imga0929.jpg

imga0932.jpg

sorry about poor pics ,weather not conducive to good photographyblush and for anyone that's interested AUW 4lb 9 oz

Yes, Very Nice, Jeff. Spats look very good, but I'm not so sure about the red/orange trim, will it be used elsewhere, too?

Stuck at home with a flu bug, and temporarily clear of Heli building, I have finally got back to mine and cut the other Aileron out, fixed hinge supports, servo mounts, and made a path through the wing for the wiring back to the cabane struts. I want the stud and nut fixed wing and the tail to be quick removal, so wiring has to be separable at the struts. Not sure yet how to best support and disguise it.

I'm still working on the complete tail being nut and studding fitted too, so easily removable, not so much for transportation but for storage, a 72" Barnstormer has a LARGE space grabbing tailplane!!!

I already have a wide wire undercart with nice large wheels, but may sheet it in and add spats (if I can find some large enough units, as no time or skills to make!).

It will probably look better with cosmetic outboard struts, but will I have the time or interest?? Watch this space (or should I say void!). Probably will install magnets in wing before covering in case I want to add

Another thing is that the Fus came to me with a fixed tailwheel........ It is REALLY well fitted, and altering it is not a simple task, but my thinking is a steerable would be better..........Thoughts??