Barnstormer Boys

David Davis

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a wobbly moment for me on my Mighty Barnstormer - I have two planes slightly bigger that don't have any bracing on the tail feathers so I didn't intend to have the tail bracing wires on my tail feathers but I am now doubting my decisionfrown

So are they needed I ask blush

Posted by jolliffee on 11/05/2014 15:04:45:

A bit of a wobbly moment for me on my Mighty Barnstormer - I have two planes slightly bigger that don't have any bracing on the tail feathers so I didn't intend to have the tail bracing wires on my tail feathers but I am now doubting my decisionfrown

So are they needed I ask blush

Not needed if you get a good glue joint where the fin sits between the two in board ribs on the horizontal stabiliser mate mine is pretty robust and given the authority of the rudder I don't think there's any distortion going on when she's in the air, if you fly it and find the rudders a tad mushy then add them otherwise leave of

• 4 weeks later...

had another 3 flights with my barnstormer over the weekend (between the rain and high winds)

all my motor issues are now sorted and she flies a treat.

fair bit of wind noise from my struts though and the colour scheme i chose causes some orientation probs at distance. ( just remember which way you were turning and wait till it orientates itself before you panic)

so i can declare it is all ready for greenacres, it will be retired now till then as i dont want to prang it before the fly in.

• 1 year later...
Posted by jolliffee on 09/08/2015 20:09:24:

Good to see this thread resurrected, my Barnstormer hasn't flown but now I think its time to dust it down and get it ready - maybe we should have a get together at Greeenacres next year -?

I took mine this year Joliffee though it didn't fly this time the gusty turbulent cross wind put me of though I did fly my trusty old e-pioneer, but a re-union next year sounds a great idea yes

Posted by Phil Winks on 09/08/2015 20:25:24:
Posted by jolliffee on 09/08/2015 20:09:24:

Good to see this thread resurrected, my Barnstormer hasn't flown but now I think its time to dust it down and get it ready - maybe we should have a get together at Greeenacres next year -?

I took mine this year Joliffee though it didn't fly this time the gusty turbulent cross wind put me of though I did fly my trusty old e-pioneer, but a re-union next year sounds a great idea yes

Yes the winds have been very bad this year Phil, I managed to get my A during a big blow - we should try to get a get together next year a lot of us built the Barnstormers - so if only we have a static display it would be worth it?

Posted by Phil Winks on 09/08/2015 20:38:23:

I totally agree Joliffee and it just may be a first in the history of the mass build, At the very least it'll be interesting to see how they've faired after 2yrs

OK I'm in let's make this a first - who else is willing to dust off their Barnstormers and bring them along?

Edited By jolliffee on 09/08/2015 20:50:17