What first glider build?

I have never flown a glider and I thought I would like to try gliding.

I was to build rather than buy. I want an all rounder (if there is such a thing) and I thought I would add a motor so it can also be used at the field (and the motor may get me out of trouble if I get stuck)

any suggestions please.

I don't want anything too sedate as I don't want to get bored with it too quickly

Advert

Hi Phil, I'd try a DB A train. It's around 2 m wingspan, a good build, and easy to fly. The kit includes a power pod for a wee IC engine, but it's easy to put an electric motor up front. I've built a second wing for mine, and incorporated flaps

ernie

Phil what you've asked for is a powered thermal soarer that isn't too sedate, by the very definition powered thermal soarers aren't renown for their aerobatic prowess.

The Middle Phase (great slope soarer) would be spoilt with a motor, you might as well build a Wot Trainer and leave the undercarriage off. So if it's sloping you want to try then the MP is not a bad start, but you should also check out the Phase 6 (more aerobatic) or some of Stan's kits

I built a West Wings Orion as my first glider and fitted a tow release in the nose for aerotowing. It is a great plane that's easy to build, light and thermals well with little lift.

I thought gliding would be boring but quickly got hooked on the challenge to make each flight longer than the last. Somehow I think that the challenge would be lost if it had a motor on the front.

The only kit I can think of which is worth considering is the West Wings Fournier. Although, it is neither a robust slope or thermal soarer.

Perhaps you may have to for go the building in lieu of a more exciting flight envelope. This should expand the choice to gliders which include JP Pretty, Seagull 2000 or Electric Speedo to name a few.

Good luck

Mk

Phil

I know you mentioned that you weren't looking for a sedate flier, which to me sounds as if you'd also like aileron's. However, here are another couple of suggestions which are very reasonably priced kits. OK one doesn't have ail's but is 2m and the other which to my mind is a strong contender is currently out of stock at this particular retailer.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Well having looked into gliding a bit more I guess it is a slope sorer I want. I can use my powered models at the field.

I thinking behind putting a motor on it was just for a back up to save me a long walk if I got it wrong as I learn to keep the model in the air without power

maybe I should start with something more simple like a zagi or wild thing ( But I thing I may get board of these to quickly

Looks Nice David!

Phil, I don't think you'd be bored by a Wildthing, all my flying this year has been with one as myfirst soarer, the enormous "bouncability" has let me get to grips with the principles of sloping before Santa brings me my first "Crunchie"!

Looking at Stan Yeo's Carrera, and may well be doing a build blog!

CB

If you're an experienced power flyer, look at Stan's Pzazz. One of our club members has an electric motor on his and it is an exciting glider. Capable of doing almost anything. He put a motor in his because a lot of our local slopes are a bit turbulent close in and the motor enables him to go through the turbulence into lift further out.

I am a rookie and flying one of his Stage 2 aileron trainers. They are really good quality and repair very easily.

These models like wind and lift to optimize their performance as gliders.

Rob

Posted by bouncebouncecrunch on 25/10/2013 12:45:24:

This is difficult to answer Phil 9. Thermal soaring or flat field soaring is vastly different to slope soaring.

Rudder -elevator or -Aileron- elevator?

Some of the kits from the late 80s to the late 90s like the Albatross, Brolga or hi-fly were great kits and flyers.

bbc

it is for the slope

Sorry Phil read more of the thread after being a bit lazy and realised slope is what you are after.

Well I have a sloper that needs a more than nice breeze, it is a kit build, has foam core wings, you apply the skins and is three channel, but you could add a motor with folding prop in my opinion. Now I will get her or him out of the rafters and go over the structure seeing you reminded me.

She is, or He is the Gigolo. and I will get a picture and details within a day or two on this thread.

cheers bbc

Radio Control Soaring by Dave Hughes is still probably the best book on slope soaring. First edition was printed 1974 so the models are dated in many respects but the principles still apply.

Copies often turn up in Amazon, AbeBooks & FleaBay.

well I found a slope sim and I have been having a go at that

a very different feeling to flying power even on the sim. it seemed very easy to get the model blow behind me and then could not get it back. and landing it was very difficult.

I am now thinking maybe a foam bounce proof sloper would be a better start

I read on another forum some advice that said "stick time is fun time and walking back down the hill with a pile of broken balsa is not fun time"