1/8th scale PSS Depron Buccaneer

Monz

Hi Monz,
My view would be to say 'yes' in your case. The trailing edge of the wing, just in front of the leading edge of the aileron and the same with the elevator, I would highly recommend incorporate balsa. Also, possibly the leading edge of both the elevator and ailerons. Why? - you can afford the minute amount of additional weight and for the additional strength that these additions will bring, peace of mind too. I dont know if you're going to attempt an all-moving tailplane or, like me, cheat and use a conventional elevator because I used balsa on my elevator and also, as you know used balsa on the Sea Vixen elevator.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using whichever material you feel you need to use during your build. There is definately a time, place and need for balsa in certain circumstances. Hardwood and plywood too.
Hope this helps......
Regards
Roy

Cool, thanks Roy, I was just not sure of depron's strength in that dept. This is still a new substance to me!

I've gone with some timber on the trailing edge. Only done the fin so far, progress being interrupted by work ugh

Here I've got three pieces of 6mm x 12mm x 36mm sandwiched between two strips of hard 2.5mm which runs top to bottom. The skin will finish on top of that and flush with the edge.

The depron sheets I received were 2.5mm and just over 5mm thick? Not quite the 3 and 6mm as advertised, is that perhaps because it's the grey stuff instead of white?

Got a quiet day tomorrow so hope to make some more progress.

The depron size seems pretty much correct. I've had varying sizes but the differences have been negligible. I think it might be worth introducing another material into the vertical fin........ Carbon Tube. Whilst you're at this stage, it shouldn't be a problem to introduce some 5 or 6mm dia carbon tube and then laminate some 6mm depron on either side of the tube. Best way I have found is to cut a slot the say half a millimetre narrower than the carbon tube so ensuring a good snug fit. Tape off one side of the channel, lay the vertical fin flat, introduce some PU glue (or epoxy) into the channel that you have cut, push in the tube and twist it gently to ensure good coverage of the adhesive. Ensure all is flat and true before the glue goes off. Remove the tape from the rear and then glue some 6mm depron on top and beneath the carbon tube. Really does introduce additional rigidity and strength which is advisable being a T tail. Hope you manage a good day on the build tomorrow.
Regards......

Looking Good Monique, be careful with that glue on areas close to being skinned as it's a nightmare to file out. It's the first time that I have used this glue on my build and it's good glue, but I've found it to be a pain if it hardens near a skinned joint.

Looking forward to the next instalment of your build

Roy M

Yeah, I'm discovering that, so I've taken to cutting it flush after it's dried.

Not much has happened, got the vert stab done now and will post a pic later, want to get the wing spar/tube done now. I'm going with 15mm pine dowel into 20mm electrical conduit. Nice and strong for the slope.

Looking good!

A strong cardboard tube to use as a roller, copious amounts of masking tape and an enhanced tummy seemed to be the best approach for me!

I skinned the Swift by covering one side of the depron (outside of curve) with the masking tape to stop it cracking, and then rolled it on my stomach with the masking tape against me... Seemd to work really well! Of course, you may not be as well equipped as I am in the tummy dept!

Hi Monz,

and they say that I'm a fast builder! I think I'd not be doing you any favours by keeping my mouth shut so may I suggest you consider adding as much support between the fuselage formers as you possibly can. The benefits are twofold. Additional fuselage rigidity and strength and it makes the skinning process much easier because of the additional edges that you can glue the skin to. Most noticeable in the concave part of a compound curve of 3mm depron. I do hope I'm making sense here?.......
I feel rather bad in that after looking at the photos of the Bucc build, I hadn't included these photos as it was just a summary of a build. I hope that by adding them now, it helps describe what I'm trying rather badly to explain?

I added longtitudal fuselage formers along the high points of the jet pipes (looking from the side) and it helped loads with the skinning. wed20.jpg
The longtitudal fuselage formers along the jet pipe

wed20-2.jpg

wed20-3.jpg

Also, the size that you're building, the additional strength and internal support will stop the 3mm panels being prone to flexing and damage when you're handling the beast! Even glassed, if you have insufficient support for the skin, you'll have to be very careful when transporting it and bearing in mind your comments about the strength required for the landings, I've got to recommend the additional 6mm formers.

Such neat work Monz and unbelievable progress. Well done. It's going to be MASSIVE!

roy

Edited By Electriflier on 26/11/2013 11:29:56

Edited By Electriflier on 26/11/2013 11:46:15