1/8th scale PSS Depron Buccaneer

Monz

Advert

Thanks all for the kind remarks!

Phil, I've just sorted the CG and the final weight is 7.05lbs / 3.2kg. I'm not sure what the wing area is, never mind wing loading, but I think it's come out just right, not too heavy, not too light.

Posted by Keith Simmons on 28/03/2014 21:17:49:

Hi Monz

i had a go at attempting to guess your wing loading.

full size wing area is 514.7 sq feet, so for 1/8th is 1158.075 sq inches.

so for 7.05 lbs I make it 0.0974 oz to the sq inch.

Hopefully a brighter person can check my figures. It does sound very light.

thanks. Keith

Keith, if your calculations are correct, which I have no reason to doubt, your results can also be read as14.02 oz per sq ft . With my scant knowledge of slope soarers, I understand that a higher wing loading is quite acceptable and in some cases, desirable to aid wind penetration. Monz is in the fortunate position to be able to add ballast if she finds the model too 'floaty' and at 14 oz per sq ft, it certainly is very light and might struggle in breezy conditions. How nice though to own a beautiful model like this that will glide beautifully in 10 mph winds? - great result!

Thanks again for the kind comments guys, much appreciated. This project really only happened as a result of stumbling across some of the depron builds here, so thanks for the inspiration

I don't know how many people it will take to launch. I do have a bungee launch hook on it, a long spike and some silicone tubing, so I'm sure I can manage catapulting it off a hill side if I'm alone

• 4 weeks later...

Bucc maiden - This was taken by a chap there named Graham from the Sussex Slope Soarers (check their blog out, very cool!) on a little '#16' cam, unedited, we tried bungee launching it, but that didn't work, so scroll to 3:50 to see the hand launch and flight. I then stooged around a bit, hit a spot of sink, stalled it and dropped a wing. Bit of damage to the nose which was taped up and then flew twice again after. But by then the lift was even less, but managed two decent on slope landings.

Edited By Monz on 24/04/2014 00:33:40

Ah, Colley hill. My dad still lives just along the ridge, was there last weekend. I've spent far too much of the last 20 years flying there, in fact was my maiden flight. Awesome when the lift is good. Incidentally, was in Mick's on Saturday, he still doesn't smile!

Nice work, now bring it to the Orme!

Magical!
Oh how I felt those nerves.....
Many congratulations Monz on the successful maiden, I'm not too worried that you bumped the nose a bit on the first landing because I know it's so easy to repair sections of these wonderful models. Tell us, how was it? did the model suffer in any way from being so light? Will you build big in Depron again? Don't forget to take photo's of the repair process.
Really, really pleased for you. - Well Done!
Regards
Roy

Thanks everyone!

Roy, nerves? My thumbs were shaking! I think the lift was a bit marginal and turbulent to tell properly if it was too light. The spots of good lift it found seemed good, I think if I could get higher and play around with the speed more I'll know. The damage was substantial on looking at it, but the nose had essentially just telescoped into the fus. The glass cloth definitely helped. So It was just a question of pulling it out, taping it up and off we went again.

There looks to be some better wind on Saturday, so might head out again.

I'll definitely build big again with Depron. The MB326 awaits...

Posted by Matt Jones on 24/04/2014 04:16:34:

Ah, Colley hill. My dad still lives just along the ridge, was there last weekend. I've spent far too much of the last 20 years flying there, in fact was my maiden flight. Awesome when the lift is good. Incidentally, was in Mick's on Saturday, he still doesn't smile!

Nice work, now bring it to the Orme!

Yup, Colley Hill, probably not the wisest place!

I'm hoping to make the Orme PSSA fly in... We'll see...