1/8th scale PSS Depron Buccaneer

Monz

Hi Roy, please do comment! You guys all have the experience!

I've been adding 1" wide strips of the 6mm wherever the 3mm ends, like the spans between the formers, they just don't show up in the pics. I'm following my method for stick and tissue, the tissue has to have a support, so I'm treating the 3mm depron the same way.

Having just worked with 17g/sq m (.6 oz) and knowing the size of your model, I personally would recommend the 25g/sq m (.9oz). It will certainly be plenty strong enough! Being a slightly heavier material than the stuff I used will mean it will take on slightly more resin to fill out the weave. .9 oz cloth is still lovely and fine and drapes well over the contours when your applying it. For your information, I can guarantee it will take slightly more than 1 x 500ml bottle to achieve anything like a reasonable finish on a model of this size.

Regards Roy

That's not to say you couldn't consider heavyweight 'wet strength' tissue if you want to keep costs to a minimum. Still a very strong and durable finish. As for WBPU, I don't know how much you can buy it for but I tried B&Qs own brand and by comparison, there was very little difference in price between that and the eze~kote. As I think I have mentioned somewhere before on the forum, I'm not convinced that eze-kote is the same as the proprietary WBPU. There's definitely an additional ingredient or two in the eze-kote. They smell different too. Again, having used both, have got to say I prefer the eze-kote. .......

Hmmm, I hadn't considered tissue. I'll do a test piece and see how it comes out.

I did read your comparison, didn't realise the price was much of a muchness. And if the Eze is better (hardness) then I guess it's that one Ten metres of cloth and two bottles of Eze... lol That'll learn me, building a monster size jet

The guy that owns Deluxe Materials (John) flies at our club (sometimes but very rare), and by profession he is a chemist. I can guarantee that the ingredients in Eze-Kote ISN'T the same as WBPU.

WBPU is ok, and I fully agree with Roy H, there is a difference between that and EZK. EZK sets a lot quicker and is less flexible, has less bubbles when painted on with a brush but the bubbles that are present will disappear, and it sets crystal clear, whereas WBPU (especially the cheap "home brand" stuff from B&Q) does neither.

I first used EZK on my balsa built Bristol Blenheim and was impressed, but tried WBPU as a cheaper alternative for the following foam build, however on foam the WBPU takes days to fully set. I tried a little test piece of depron with 9gm cloth and EZK and it set around the same time as it did on balsa.

Getting back to John, I can tell you that the amount of research and development that goes into ALL of his products is staggering. EZK isn't cheap, but the result is absolutely worth the expenditure. John attends our club's late summer open day and sells his products, and it is interesting to talk to him about his products, and what he is currently developing. He regularly uses testers to try the products that are new, and listens to them, adjusting the ingredients to get them spot on.

Top man, top products. (sadly I'm not a tester or on commission, although if you do read this John, I am available on both counts

Edited By Depron Daz 393 on 27/11/2013 08:48:22

I've used glass cloth and tissue, and have found that glass is a lot easier to do than tissue. It will take up curves and compound shapes effortlessly. However if you can apply tissue without any wrinkles, you are a better modeller than me [which might be the case anyway! wink​]

As you are building a PSS model, I'm not sure the weight of the cloth and product will be that significant. You may end up 50g heavier with glass cloth... but what's that on a model that size without a motor?

The advantage will be a far more 'ding' proof finish than tissue will give. [I reckon tissue on depron could end up quite brittle, whereas glass cloth is far lees likely to split because the fibres prevent that happening]