1/8th scale PSS Depron Buccaneer

Monz

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally gotten back to the Bucc. Started today with some filling. Then a coat of PolyC on the depron, followed by the cloth. I'm using 0.6 oz cloth throughout. This pic is of the first coat over the cloth. I've now glassed the top and bottom of the stab and elevators and given it all three coats over the glass with a sanding between each.

I'll have to wait and see tomorrow once it's cured to see how the weave has filled. I'm hoping then that two coats of primer, rubbed between each, will give a nice finish to spray the colour onto.

Have now got the wings glassed. I'm using the PolyC with 0.6oz cloth, I've done a coat on the depron, then one to get the glass on and then another on top of that. I can just make out a bit of the weave still, will primer and top coat fill that in? I'll be using matt water based paints from B&Q for the colour with a coat of gloss lacquer over that to finish. All these should fill the weave right? It's only just perceptable.

Then, primer wise... Can I use the B&Q generic brush on primer thinned a bit to spray? It says brush only, but I'm sure it could be sprayed. I'm trying to budget a bit here and would rather not be buying 3 - 4 cans of spray primer at £8 each...

Attached is a pic of the wings with my least favourite part of any model... WINGTIPS aaaaargh! I just don't like doing them lol, anyway, these are done now, I used scraps of insulating board PU'd on and sanded to shape. These have also been glassed and are plenty strong now.

And then... I received a lovely package yesterday from my friends at the SAAF Museum in Cape Town where I used to volunteer on weekends restoring aircraft, tour guiding, ground safety crew for running the Shackleton, and all sorts of other stuff. I now have a matching cap and keyring to go with the Bucc! Soooo chuffed!!!

Oh, the wings, with glass and three coats of PloyC, have gained 30g each which is 14.5% of the total weight. The strength gained is definitely worth the weight.

I'm working on doubling the initial 3.1lbs as my target AUW. 

Edited By Monz on 20/02/2014 18:40:39

Monz,

being that weight really isn't a major issue, I would highly recommend another coat so that rubbing down takes your smooth finish level with the weave. It really would be a shame to jeopardise the finish that this model deserves for the sake of one or two more coats. Only my opinion .....

great work so far and love the hat!

regards

Roy

Cheers Roy!

Ja, I was thinking along the same lines, but budget being what it is I think I'll glass the rest of it and then see how much PC is left over. If it's enough, then another coat all round. This is a slope soarer, so I can live with the odd blemish here and there. I'm trying to not be too anal about the finish as it's going to get knocked about a bit. Having said that, I've just spent the best part of three hours filling the top front HALF of the fus....

BTW this tesco lightweight stuff is great!

Cheers Roy, look forward to seeing more of the Hawk once you get settled

I've been busy on the Bucc...

Finally got the nose and tail carved, filled and glassed.

Then once that was PolyC'd a few times, primer (I'd gotten impatient earlier and primed the fus already by then).

I went over the flying and control surfaces and filled in a few dings that remained.

I started with painting today too. I went to the local B&Q and bought tester pots which I've brushed on. The blue is done and the grey topside is drying at the moment.

And here's the fus fully primes awaiting final filler before painting!

So far, there has been a 30% increase in weight, so it looks like this thing'll finish up at about 4lbs

Once primed, the panelling errors came to light. There is a bit of 'oil canning' in a few places, but I'm not too bothered. The next model I'll try using planking instead to get a smoother flow of the fus contours.

Monz,

There's no mistaking the lovely lines of the Bucc'. I think you're being harsh on yourself pointing out the 'oil canning' as you put it. Let's put things into context here. It's your first depron build, it's absolutely HUGE, and you chose probably one of the most curvaceous aircraft as your subject! Praise where praise is due. Brilliant!

I concur with Electriflier, you chose a difficult plane to cut your teeth on, and IMO you have successfully completed it. You should only praise yourself having done such a marvellous job! Bearing in mind you needed as much weight as possible, on your next build why not put extra formers/ribs in to alleviate the canning effect?

Overall, you've got to be pleased with your efforts Monz............ we are smiley

Thanks Daz, and Roy (Electrifier) for the comments. I will add lots more formers in the next build, and try a few different things now that I've got to know Depron.

I am really pleased with the Bucc, it's just my OCD coming out I have made one error in the buildind: The engine intakes. In the front, they taper top and bottom, I've only tapered the bottom! It still looks cool and it's all glassed so I'm not going to try and fix it.

I'm busy painting the fus now, last night was the bottom, today the top!

No prob Roy, it's good stuff. Everyone's been using Eze-Kote, but this has worked perfectly for me. A coat first on the depron, then light sand, then glass it. Then a few coats till the weave is filled. It's made the Bucc 10 x stronger so well worth the 15% or so increase in weight. Plus PolyC is cheaper than EK...

I used a B&Q grey primer, comes in a 750ml tub, I've got half of it left over, and I used wall paint samples from B&Q thinned 50/50 with water, two coats brushed on.

And here's what the finish looks like, flash on and off. I'm going to add another coat of PolyC over the paint once all assembled.

I spent Sunday making and attaching decals. I drew them up in Photoshop, laser printed on bond paper and applied with thinned down pva. Really comes to life with them on!

I was going to attach printed numbers for the serials, but they were a bit fiddly, so I made a stencil and hand painted them in. I was sitting on the sofa, wing on lap, brush in one hand and little pot of paint in the other, merrily finishing the last number. On the floor was an empty soda bottle, which went pop as it expanded from the warmth in the room. It was such loud pop that I jumped, throwing the little pot of paint all over the wing! Grrrr, could only laugh. Wiped most of it off and three coats of blue later, it's repaired.

Here's a mock up of it all together...

I've just ordered a canopy for it too. Should be here in the week. Now it's panel lines, install aileron servos, build the cockpit, battery and rx housings and finalise control rods to all the surfaces.