What (Micromould?) Model is This?

David Cooke 1

I have a Tyro Major plan and it is 45ins span. I also thought it should have been 54ins. Unless the plan is printed wrong, but it does say 45ins above the title. I also have a Tyro plan, which looks like the same airplane, but the plan layout is different.

Regarding the photo. I would say by the fin shape and wing airfoil that it is a Tyro.

kevinb.

Edited By kevin b on 12/11/2013 23:11:24

Another vote for the Tyro Major. If you look carefuly at the pic the first rib in from the tip is easy to make out & it's possible to estimate where the rest are - I make it 9 per wing - which tallies with the TM whereas the Jackdaw has 12 pw.

Colin, I've just been looking at the Jackdaw plans in Outerzone, never had the opportunity previously, it looks an interesting alternative to the KK Super 60 & I like the fact that it was designed with ailerons. I have a Frog 3.49 RC diesel & a single channel multi escapement plus a 3 posn throttle esc which would be bang on authentic for the period - but if I did get around to building one it would be electric powered with modern radio gear. wink 2

Edited By PatMc on 13/11/2013 23:47:15

Hi PatMc and all other mates. The Jackdaw was brought out I think to compete with the Super 60 and in rudder/ motor/ elevator form had similar flying characteristics. However being designed by the guy who I think designed The Uproar etc. ( he was a Uwins anyway), in the aileron form I think it was more all round capable than the (excellent) Super 60 as well as being tough. The first test report I saw was I think in Model Aircraft, although it might have been Aeromodeller. They fitted it with a Frog 349 "Vibramatic", a reed radio set and I think they converted it to a trike undercarriage. I know that they had problems with engine vibration causing the reeda to play up and cause spurious commands, such as the engine going back to idle when set on full throttle.

I bought mine secondhand in about 1972, so it was probably already about 10 years old and well flown but in perfect condition. I bought my first propo gear (Swan) and fitted that along with an OS 30. Mine had been built as rudder/elevator/ motor but flew great anyway until about 1979 up at the Walsall site (Greenacres), using 27mhz when someone whose name I forgot switched on to my frequency and brought me down. (Apologies were appreciated but not much compensation). Damage wasn't great so I put it away for another day and still haven't got around to it. Clearly I must, it would be great to see a few of these around again. However, the subject of this thread obviously isn't a Jackdaw after all, but it's been nice to talk about it.