Vid Camera recommendation for bixler 2

Posted by dan c 1 on 16/12/2013 16:04:05:

So, what's the best setting to use on the mobius cam guys. Having some great results but I have just done a 5 minute recording of something and it is nearly 500mb. Not that useful for sending to people or uploading!!

Any thoughts???

Edit any pre/post flight, all the repetitious & boring bits try to cut down to no more than 3 minutes or so (but I don't always stick to my own advice .wink 2
I use Windows Movie Maker which saves in AVI format & this compresses the files. But I think there's other, better editing software available as free downloads.

Cheers Gazza - I haven't yet had any full-size try to use it, fortunately!.....smile o

I'd echo everything Pat has said - be ruthless with the editing. I don't have a fast upload speed - about 3-400kb/sec at best and the above video ended up at about 100Mb and took an hour to upload.

I use Movie maker too and normally try to keep them to around 50Mb for convenience but I cannot find any method that retains some quality in the image - the video is a shadow of the original. Suggestions welcome! Is Vimeo any better?

Be aware, Dan, that it is better to record in .MOV format rather than the .AVI offered for the Mobius, as the .AVI format isn't editable using most readily available software. Once I have a recording, I convert it to an AVI without any apparent quality loss using MP4Cam2AVI, downloadable here.

Pete

Been checking my videos since my last post. Previously I edited using Movie Maker in my old pc running Vista this only allowed finalising as AVI. The last videos I did were edited in a newer PC with Win 8 which came with a newer version of Movie Maker. This gives a lot of options when saving the finished movie & saves the file as an MP4 video. As an experiment I selected the original of an HD vid that I had previously uploaded to Youtube, then chose the "Save movie for computer" option. This changed the display size from 1940x1080 to 854x480 & the MOV file size from 474MB to 77MB MP4 file - played it back on a 22" monitor & the quality is still good. I also tried the "email save" option this reduced the size to 426x240 @ 21.6MB - play quality is probably acceptable on a small size screen.

This is the video I experimented with but when I uploaded it to Youtube I did it direct from the original & it could do with editing down by at least half.

BTW it was a try out as one of the first movies I shot with a bridge camera.

Self-adhesive Velcro tape, Dan. With the Mobius, wipe the body with some meths or similar first, to remove any surface contaminant. It doesn't do any harm to do the same with the EPO surface you're attaching the tape to, either, in case there's any release agent - if they use any, that is.

I haven't lost a camera......yet smile

Pete

Posted by Bandit on 19/12/2013 22:32:15:

Your own airstrip Pete.... I am so envious embarrassed sorry to comment off topic.

In my defence can I say they sell a camera mount for the Bixler on Hobbyking

I have looked at the HK website, and the comments on the Bixler camera platform indicate that it does not fit the Bixler 2.

• 6 months later...

I am new to flight photography but read with interest the support for the 808 16's and mobias. It look a little daunting getting them to work, record and then play back on a PC.

Be grateful for your comments on set up and getting the recording to play on a PC and anyhting alse you can think of for a computer novice

Thanks

Mikee

Edited By Mike E on 27/06/2014 15:15:05

The Mobius costs a bit more but is very much better than the 808 #16, IMHO. I attach the Mobius to the aircraft using patches of sticky-backed Velcro - haven't lost one yet!

Important thing is to update to the latest firmware from the links that are always posted on page 1 of the RCG thread. You can browse the other 679 pages at your leisure....teeth 2

Follow the instructions implicitly and you shouldn't have any problems. Download and install the GUI program in post #6 of that thread - that makes life very much easier.

A Class 4 or Class 6 micro-SD card is fine - you don't need to go any higher.

One drawback for viewing is that the Mobius records in .mov or .avi format. Don't bother with the .avi format - it is non-standard and can't be easily edited. For some reason, Quicktime plays .mov files very jerkily on my PC, so I always immediately convert the .mov to a standard .avi file using MP4Cam2AVI

Doing this, I cannot tell the difference in quality and the .avi file runs better and can be edited with Windows Movie Maker.

Bob Moore is this forum's guru on these mini-cams. Hopefully he'll look in and impart a few words of wisdom....smile p

Pete

The 808 is fine for dipping your toe in the water, Mike - unfortunately mine disappeared into a cloud last July and I haven't seen it since...crying 2

The only problem with mounting a cam inside a cockpit is that the non-optically correct glazing material degrades the image significantly, although the overall effect can be quite atmosphericsmile

For effect, put it inside. If you want a clear view of the surroundings, I'd recommend mounting it on the wing or fuselagethumbs up

Pete

• 2 weeks later...