Westwings Fournier RF4

Martian

I've always liked the RF4 and RF5 so when I got hold of a Westwings RF4 plan

used in the kit I just had to make a start, unfortunately the plan does not show fuselage formers or wing ribs hmm this is not as easy as I had hoped still not to be put of I managed to find a suitable wing rib profile and was able to print out a set. The fuselage however was not so easy so some time spent with pencil and compass gradually produced said formers onto card and with little adjustment formers were produced (not not there were many to make 7 or 8 I think and the rear top decking was a originally a vac formed part this has been replicated using 1/16th light balsa sheet in 2 sections duly steam curved pinned and glued on.

pics so far

dsc_0204.jpg

dsc_0205.jpg

dsc_0206.jpg

dsc_0207.jpg

dsc_0208.jpg

dsc_0209.jpg

dsc_0210.jpg

dsc_0211.jpg

dsc_0212.jpg

dsc_0213.jpg

dsc_0214.jpg

dsc_0215.jpg

note they apparently quite normal messy work area

Advert

Don't you believe it, Martian - there's always plenty of lurkers out there...smile

Is yours the earlier 3-function or the recent 4-function RF4 kit? My 4-function is still going strong, with a 3-axis gyro to smooth it out as I found it a tad twitchy. If you haven't already had a browse through the forum, there's plenty of threads where the RF4 gets a mentionthumbs up

Pete

Thanks Pete just a touch of prima donna

it's not a kit so much as a plan and simple plan with no formers or rib shapes nor cut out bits and no instructions ,it seemed like a good idea at the time lol anyway yes I have read several threads including Mr Miller's. This is the 4 function electric version and as has been said in a West Wings thread everything is very tight up front . I,m waiting on the motor before the front end can be finished

• 2 weeks later...

progress slowed due to Christmas but back on it now

This West Wings RF4 does not have much room at the front end but I'm gradually shoe horning the bits in

below elevator and rudder servos and in front the cut out for the rx this will be velcro fit onto a false cockpit floor which will also hide the servos

dsc_0205.jpg

180w motor fitted onto 1/8th ply mount the space to the left will house the ESC and batt which will have to be a compact lipo

dsc_0204.jpg

cockpit area showing the other side of servos note the stringers glued to the side to place false floor on

dsc_0206.jpg

ESC temporarily in place when connected this will be covered by the batt box sufficient cooling holes will be cutout as build progresses

dsc_0207.jpg

below a pic showing the lack of space for 3s 107mm long lipo I will be switching to a 70mm 3s lipo

dsc_0208.jpg

I felt the fuselage sides at the motor end were to thin so 1/8th balsa doublers have been added ,note the clamps these are trouser hangers ends just the right amount of pressure. either side of the motor will be balsa engine covers these will be hollowed out and a hole either side of motor into covers to aid cooling

dsc_0209.jpg

underneath

dsc_0210.jpg

Edited By Martian on 03/01/2014 18:38:57

Well a bit more progress :-

this shows the really tight fit for the motor you can see the rear shaft of the motor is covered with a plastic tube that is to prevent the motor wires getting caught up or damaged.

dsc_0204.jpg

Motor breather hole this will be covered by cowl cheeks which will be scalloped out to allow air flow from prop wash to go straight through and drag air from around motor

dsc_0205.jpg

top of nose cover/cowl scalloped to allow air over motor into area behind motor mount

dsc_0206.jpg

this pic shows method for scalloping nose cover it is a piece of thin wall stainless steel recovered from a garden LED light and sharpened

dsc_0207.jpg

soft block balsa in place lots of planing sanding and coughing to do later

dsc_0208.jpg

initial shaping complete will fine finish when spinner block is in place

dsc_0218.jpg

thought it best to punch another breather hole this one is outside the ESC

dsc_0219.jpg

ESC separator panel it's only 1/16th just to keep it from contacting the lipo

dsc_0220.jpg

Progress continues not as fast as I'd like because I want to crack on with the Barnstormer

cowl/spinner end plate , you can see clearer the use of these trouser hanger clamps they hold pieces like this lamination perfectly (just raid the wife's wardrobe snaffle a few and accidently break the ends of ,you will need to use some hot glue or epoxy to stop the thing falling apart but hey they are free but not pain free if you get caught )

dsc_0204.jpg

engine covers in place need lots of sanding sanding checking sanding saw off and start again this may happen again not entirely happy with them, the kit off course had moulded plastic ones.

dsc_0205.jpg

Because there is so little space I decided to forget the top hatch and opted for a 1/16th ply plate underneath secured with screws so if I need access to ESC or motor mount it will be just about possible, I shall remain optimistic it wont be necessary Oh you can see one of the covers met with my disapproval and was sawed off

dsc_0206.jpg

This is the cover that is still safe for now

dsc_0207.jpg

Cockpit floor this hides the wires and bottom of servos, I am toying with the idea of making the canopy and floor as an integral unit that will be removable.

dsc_0208.jpg

front end ,still not happy with the left cover /cheek. incidentally the hole for the spinner plate was cut with a body spray can cut down and sharpened (smells nice) I am developing quite a collection of homemade boring tools

dsc_0209.jpg

Finally for now the tail end ,the fin is a lamination of 1/8th and 1/16th either side sanded down to profile the resulting thickness is about 3/16th I did this because the fin seemed far to fragile , I am not happy with the method of hinging the control surfaces (mainly cos I've tried it and am no good) so I very gently cut slots with a fine blade so I can use CA hinges and that's how these are done now.

dsc_0215.jpg

I spoke to Tim Hooper last night for some advice he said when are you going to fly these things you keep building he is right but I hate the cold weather

Hello. Are you planning to do an aileron wing or a 3ch wing as per the original? In either case, fit some sheeting to the wing as the original (which I built) had a very open structure and is very easy to warp!

Mine flies OKish on a speed 400 and 7 nicad cells, but I don't fly it much as my batteries aren't what they were!