Bertie Bassett Flying Flea

reg shaw

Had the two Fleas in the same place tonight, mainly so I could check copy the CofG and overlap measurements as I was struggling to get the balance right without moving the front wing back too much. At the weekend I did a disappointing balance check as it needed lots of weight in the nose. Moving the wing back helped this issue but gave a 'greater than I thought good' wing overlap. In the end I moved the wing forward again and remade the bottom of the radiator in lead, as opposed to the vac formed end previous. This lead weighs about 2 lb so had some steel brackets cast into it, one to fasten to the sides of the radiator, the other to project backwards to mount to the fuselage cross beam. This brought the CofG to 145mm from the pivot, as opposed to the 125mm (at 1/2 scale) that the book says. This led me to think that the Hills machine might be further back as I in theory should need less ballast up front as I have the weight of the Carden. So when we'd assembled the pair I was well chuffed to see the other ones balance was at 150mm. I was chipper to say the least as it flies so very well at that. So, fired up once again with a tidy shed too the progress will continue :uk:

Ian.

dscf2886.jpg

dscf2888.jpg

dscf2895.jpg

dscf2899.jpg

Posted by ceejay on 14/05/2014 22:51:12:

you done them throttle and choke servo,s yet Reg!!

nice pair

chris

Er.... nope!! Its my pet hate and I'll put it off for as long as I can!! My other reason is that I have swapped the barrels and shafts over in the carb so that I can get the linkages on the top side of the carb, that way the linkages and the servos cannot be seen. I want it so that you can look into the cockpit and see nothing but full size Flea stuff, not none of that toy aeroplane electrickery and gubbins stuff!! We are even working on working instruments too, not that there are many in, or on a Flea!! On that matter, I'm guessing the Carden Ford would still require a battery for operation?

Ian.

Hello Ian,

They look great together, nice to see Henri in the office, will you be putting Bertie in? Which Greenacres do are you taking your flea to? is it the end of May or the June fly in, as I'd love to come along and see it flying, sorry for all the questions but I've really enjoyed following this thread. Good luck with the maiden!

Regards,

Kieran,

We that is Ian and myself are hoping to be at Greenacres may do but only for the monday, we are "calling in" on our way back form LMA rougham on the sunday evening, assuming we still have something to fly!! and the weather is not something akin to a tropical storm!! and are booked for the RCME/Greenacres flyin i believe,

chris

Posted by Flying Flea on 15/05/2014 12:51:56:

Hello Ian,

They look great together, nice to see Henri in the office, will you be putting Bertie in? Which Greenacres do are you taking your flea to? is it the end of May or the June fly in, as I'd love to come along and see it flying, sorry for all the questions but I've really enjoyed following this thread. Good luck with the maiden!

Regards,

Kieran,

Thanks folks, it's getting there. Kieran, I'm hoping to be at the Greenacres May do on Monday, but will deffo be at the RCME one. Regarding the pilot, one will definately be fitted, I'll make the period bloke in veralls and shirt and tie, but there may be a chance that a custom Bertie may grace the cockpit on special occasions!!

I've started to draw out the Bertie Bassett for the rudder, might get some silver dope on tonight, fingers crossed.

Ian.

Heyuuuup!!

the silver dope is it of the shrinking variety, do it add much weight??

i can see the pair of em now poodeling along OW flightline, just done a search for carden ford powered aerpolanes some weired ones, intersting but deffo a bit weired

bootifull  i just love the name of this one      http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1321865/

bit of a wren look to this one  Kronfield Monoplane http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft32310.htm

chris

Edited By ceejay on 15/05/2014 18:54:23

Tried for a test flight yesterday but the Zenoah thought otherwise. Due to the head pressure of the wing tanks, fuel is pushing past the sprung loaded needle valve in the carb. This means either the tank is too high (I've had wing tanks before without issue) or most likely is a worn seat on the valve stem in the carb. I swapped it out last night and have to put it all back together now and will try again this afternoon hopefully. Two more flights on the other Flea though so the day wasn't wasted!

Ian.

So, after working till silly o'clock last night taking it apart to replace bits, then getting up at daft o'clock to put it back together, the test engine runs this morning at home started badly, then steadily got worse when the rear engine mounting lug broke off. That fixed, albeit temporarily (as I'll chop the whole rear mountings off and make a thicker one) I proceeded to try and set the engine up properly but couldn't get it to run right, tickover dies eventually I then used my common sense and ran it from a conventional tank in the fuselage, where it was when it ran beautifully. After some needle tweaking it was soon going great. I had put a larger isolator block on between the carb and the engine which can alter settings.

So, up to Ashbourne at 3.30 and it was blowing a hooley but since I was there, the Flea was there, I had my Tx and fuel, plus it wasn't raining, the little blighter had 2 good flights whether it liked them or not. First was with a full front tank and no pilot, the second with both tanks full and the pressganged pilot from the other Flea, since he knew what to expect as he'd got 5 flights on type already!! The flying was great, the only issues were when flying crosswind the breeze got under the wing and made straightening up a bit untidy but doable. Obviously the Fleas are going to be fairly restricted with take offs and landings into wind with no crosswind capabilities as such. Our resident tame videographer was on hand to record proceeding so there'll be another vid coming soon.

Happy bloke indeedy.

Ian.

Thanks folks, now starts the strip down to paint, now I know its worth painting that is!!! This has been one of my all time wants in modelling terms, I've been hunting for stuff on the Bassetts flea for over 8 years now and its finally come to something I can fly, and a grand feeling it is too!!! I doubt I can take it to Rougham next weekend though as I'll not be flying it until its coloured now. One thing I noticed is just how much battery juice the 4 servo's used in two flights, a huge chunk out of 3300 wotsits. It got me thinking about the full size stick loads. The full size has a hook on the end of the joystick. When flying, the pilot hooks a 'rubber band' hanging from the dashboard onto the end of the stick which relieves some of the lifting loads to his hand. Mine has the hook but I've no way of connecting a band to it!!! Perhaps another servo under the floor that tightened a cable and strong spring to pull up elevator could be useful. This servo would obviously have to 'centre' the cable so no electrical load put through it when in use. Just a thunk.

Ian.

Here's the first flight, no bloke and only the front tank filled, wary of CofG you see!!

Ian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjMfCPiyeIY

Haven't fathomed the embedding vid thing though!!

Edited By reg shaw on 19/05/2014 07:50:07