Bertie Bassett Flying Flea

reg shaw

Cheers folks. I suspected the engine issues were to do with my bodgeneered Carden Ford in one way or another. I used some gasket goo stuff for the ali cylinder head to engine block joint, plus more for the exhaust to block seals. What is happening is this goo is melting. At higher revs it is burning off, but at tickover and 'flying' settings the flow isn't enough to get rid of it and it is finding its way through the engine and leaving tarry deposits on top of the piston!! So I've cleaned of these deposits and flushed and wiped the goo off the Carden and am ready to reassemble. Anyone recommend a high temp silicone or thickish gasket paper?

Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

After a frustrating Greenacres in terms of the Flea, I've finally sorted the engine problems, turns out it was some manufacturing swarf in the vacuum port of the ali carb bend manifold. Found this out after changing and the stripping of engines, carbs, gaskets, plumbing etc etc. I was on the verge of assuming the Carden Ford was at fault, it being the only common factor, apart from the carb bend, but they are so simple that it couldn't be at fault, no cracks, bad seals, all the holes blow through etc etc!!??

Anyhoo, 8 goes tonight, with a needle tweak after the first three or four, touch and goes and its now a proven fact that the Flea doesn't do crosswinds at either end of its flight. It also turns great to the left, but a bit untidy to the right, just like a real one then!!

Ian.

img_4664.jpg

img_4670.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a good vid of the two Fleas together, first time in near perfect conditions!! (I've not sussed the linky vid thing yet!!! I've written that before I've posted, how's that for confidence!!??)

Ian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVd_ekrUFoQ

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 02/08/2014 22:50:15

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...