enya .19 VI model 4006

thunderstreak.keith

Picked this engine up last week and been searching my old aeromodeller mags for some sort of review of it. Does anyone know roughly when they were produced or anything helpful really. Were they any good? this one needs a damn good clean up but at least its not siezed and anyway it didnt cost me anything so theres no loss in that dept. many thanks

Advert

I had an Enya 19 back in the 70s, it was a plain bearing one though. I don't recall seeing an Enya that small that was ballraced. I think mine may have been the IV or perhaps V - fairly certain it wasn't a VI. It was decent engine in its day - not hugely powerful, but reliable. The idle mixture adjustment was by an air-bleed screw, so works in the opposite sense to the idle needle that most engines have now.

As I have mentioned before the old ENYA 19 has the same bearer / mounting hole spacings as the ED Racer. I have flown my old Junior 60 once at the South Norwood sewage works site with the Enya fitted, and it went very well until a throttle fixing screw disappeared and the engine cut out. About three years ago I flew my acquired Second Pronto with the Enya 19 without problems. Far more economical than the huge engines in use today.

MJE

​Dave Robelen's Second Pronto-Acquired plane with name marked under cowling. Plane rarely flown in the last 15 years.

Second Pronto

The Enya 19 goes back a long way - an advert in Model Maker Sept 1963 prices them at 5 pounds 18 shillings and 4 pence ( thats about 5.92 to you youngsters who cannot understand pre-decimal )

Edited By kc on 04/01/2014 13:08:42

Thanks all, that made very interesting reading. I did hear that enya engines were rather lia vauxhall viva engine, they just kept going and going.( mine was nearly 1 3/4 around the clock b4 I scrapped it) I ploughed through all those pages TFC and finally saw .19-VI bb tv 4006. not sure iff that was mine iff so its circa 77/78. nothing on mine to show it a bb though. Anyway, pting a few fotos of it see what you all think. Yes it needs a good clean so will do that. Not sure iff its the original carby though it fits snug but theres a bolt or screw missing to hold it onto the main casing. again thanks all for your help, might need it again as i will dig out an old fox i`ve got but no info on it at all apart from fox.

IMO its a plain bearing one, BB ones have a thicker flang that holds the front housing onto the crankcase. Don't expect it to be a power house even in good condition. They were a loop scavenged(baffle on top of piston) design. If good use a prop that turns in the 10,500rpm to 11,500rpm range(probably 9/10x4 'ish) as this type of design is not a rev'er but has a fairly flat power delivery curve. Also, as the piston/liner combination is cast iron/steel it should be run on castor based fuel with 5% to 10% nitro. Probably best used on a vintage or old style trainer of about 3lb to 3.5lb.

Warm, dismantle and use 'Fairy Power spray' plus hot soapy water then hot water. Reasemble with a good oil if worth the effort.

On the pay front, in '63 a certain tech grade in the GPO(telephones) was on close to £1000/year. The same grade now gets close to £40,000/year so any prices for items in '63 should be multiplied by 40. I prefer this method as it not only takes account of price inflation but also wage inflation(we've all got richer individually and as a country) very roughly. If done it gives an idea of how expensive it felt to buy the item back then. You'll see that RC modelling back then was generally the preserve of the well off.

So, £5.92 x 40 = £236.80 for your engine!!! Now go and work out the cost of the other bits, you'll get a shock!!!!!

You'll never get that amount, be lucky to see £20. Although, there are some fools around........

The figure of £236.80 is what you would have to pay to experience how expensive it felt to buy back in '63. I've been into aeromodelling since the mid 50's and am constantly amazed by people claiming how expensive it all is now. They should have tried RC modelling back in the late 50's and the 60's, it really hurt the wallet.

Yep, that's the plain-bearing version. Carb looks right, though I'm not sure the needle valve itself is original - possibly it's an OS (or other) needle?

There should be two very short screws to retain the carb - the carb will be tapped to take them. The screws should be short enough to not block any of the air that's come through the card on its way into the engine.

I've just dug out my old Enya 19, and it looks like we're competing in the "grubby engine stakes"! embarrassed

Mine was bought second-hand in about 1974 and is the 19-V, model 4005. And of course run on nothing but castor-based fuel (most of which still seems to be stuck to the exterior of the engine!)

enya19v.jpg

The needle valve assembly and air-bleed screw are missing - I think I "borrowed" them to put on an Enys 09 that flew for a short while in a small delta model I built.

Here's the needle from the 09 - which I think is really the one for the 19 - subtly different to the one in TS's pic.

enya_needle.jpg