Mode and rate

Advert

Jack

I think you could be referring to Flight Modes. I think this is something that JR introduced. It has nothing to do with Mode 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4 for that matter!).

What you can do using Flight Mode is to configure your aircraft by just selecting the appropriate mode using the Flight Mode switch - normally a 3 position switch. For example, let's say you have a retractable undercarriage and flaps fitted to your aircraft. If you had 3 flight modes, you can set them to give you undercarriage down and flaps fully down, or u/c down with flaps at take off, or u/c up and no flaps. You can also set the trim to be "remembered" for each flight mode so that any trim changes with u/c down and flaps down can be trimmed out and that setting is selected when the Flight Mode is selected - saves a lot of aggravation if there are significant trim changes with flap/u/c operation.

You can also use Flight Mode to select which rates you want for all three major controls by just using one switch - very handy.

Peter

I’ve noticed this occasionally, too, as when playing with a number of the small indoor types; it might well be Hubsan, we’ve been using some of these; it’s been around for a while now. I’ve just put it down to a bit of possible cross over interpretation of the word ‘mode’. Expert mode just increases all the throws etc. It actually does come up on the screen as ‘Mode 1’ and ‘Mode 2’. But you soon get the hang of it; 10 seconds, or less, to sort it out. I think it also might apply to the later small (V911) Speedmaster type helicopters; and certainly the youngsters that pilot these around do not even have to consider it. They just do it!

I think that maybe there are some areas of modelling that are rapidly changing; such as the proliferation of small models that now come with all the gizmos on. There is probably no need for them to obey any previous convention. If someone buys a small heli, say, just to fly indoors or, in the garden on a calm day, perhaps, why would they need to know about ‘modes’ or ‘rates’, or indeed, anything else at all to do with aeromodelling?

Yes indeed, Jack, that’s where I’ve seen it, but on the Hubsan.

PB

Dates back a few years, but a well known "top echelon" radio manufacturer had Tx's on sale where they had model memories.

Going into the menu system (via a hard to use multi button slide angle press while power up process) you got a one visible at a time rotating menu tree, the second menu option offered being MOD.

Obviously they meant MOD=Model, after all you'd use it all the time, and rarely if ever change Mode?.............. Well, NO

Several more menu options buried later down was MDL............

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........................................

Posted by Percy Verance on 04/01/2014 19:51:55:

I bought a new transmitter a little while ago which uses a similar system to that described. You push the end(s) of the sticks down to activate rates etc. The Tx is a Multiplex Cockpit SX. Seems to work well enough, but I prefer the way I'm used to.........

I've seen the Smart Sx tx where you push the stick in to get rates, but on my 35mhz Cockpit Sx the rates are on one switch and the flight phases are on the 3 way switch and selecting stick mode is done in the programming.

But having the stick push in to effect rates etc is something I'd also seen on the original Kyosho Minimum series also.