Squirrels in the loft

Oops

So it's settled then. You will be installing a remote controlled ghetto blaster and disco lighting in the attic. Then waiting outside, (with or without a BBQ) with a suitable weapon to fire at the little thumbs downs as they emerge from the access holes. You will be using ammunition soaked in mint essence. This will happen just after you remotely set off the music. You will then cut off the access branches. Have I missed anything?

You now need to start planning your playlist.

If you are successful then this might help. **LINK**

Plummet

p.s    Then you call in Michael Wright for a second opinion.

Edited By Plummet on 05/01/2014 22:10:52

Edited By Plummet on 05/01/2014 22:11:13

Advert

Posted by kevin b on 05/01/2014 16:53:13:
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/01/2014 16:11:20:

I know a few people who I suspect have "squirrels in the loft",.....wink 2

BEB

Are you sure you mean squirrells and not bats ? vamp

kevinb.

Edited By kevin b on 05/01/2014 16:53:41

Don't be silly Kevin - it's belfrys people get bats in - with lofts its definitely squirrels.

BEB

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Bats in the belfry?

Begin lecture mode but I will try to keep it short.

In Britain it is very unusual for bats to be found in belfries. This is because bats like clean warm quiet places to roost, Belfries tend to be mucky (pigeons etc.) draughty (holes to let the noise of the bells out) and not particularly quiet (work it out yourself).

We said this when we gave a lecture to the Natural History Society in Bombay (now Mumbai) and we were told that things in India were different. There, belfries were good places for bats, because they were cool.

End lecture mode.

I assume that your attic is not in India. If it is then a pet mongoose or even a snake might be advised.

Plummet

Posted by Plummet on 05/01/2014 22:29:21:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Bats in the belfry?

Begin lecture mode but I will try to keep it short.

In Britain it is very unusual for bats to be found in belfries. This is because bats like clean warm quiet places to roost, Belfries tend to be mucky (pigeons etc.) draughty (holes to let the noise of the bells out) and not particularly quiet (work it out yourself).

We said this when we gave a lecture to the Natural History Society in Bombay (now Mumbai) and we were told that things in India were different. There, belfries were good places for bats, because they were cool.

End lecture mode.

I assume that your attic is not in India. If it is then a pet mongoose or even a snake might be advised.

Plummet

Whoooooosh! (The sound of joke flashing by overhead) wink 2

BEB

Posted by Plummet on 05/01/2014 22:08:48:

So it's settled then. You will be installing a remote controlled ghetto blaster and disco lighting in the attic.

Plummet

Absolutely. There are very few problems in this life that can't be assisted by a quick blast of Deep Purple or Motorhead devil

Well our cat Sammy killed a squirrel a short while ago and dragged it into the house. I had the job of removing the squirrel and cleaning the blood off the wood block flooring. I put the squirrel into a large plastic garden bag and left it outside with a view to burying it the following morning. However Sammy removed the squirrel and eat half of it from the head downwards! About a week later Sammy caught and killed a Goldcrest which really annoyed me.

A few years ago a friend of mine who lives in Caterham had a family of squirrels in his loft. To remove them he waited during the day for the creatures to exit the loft. He then blocked off the entry hole to the loft. The following evening the family of squirrels were lined up on his garden fence below the blocked entry hole. During the night my friend heard crashing noises which turned out to be the squirrels throwing themselves at the landing window. The landing light had been left on!

In the past I have had squirrels enter the house and have chased one upstairs where it did a complete circuit of a bedroom before charging down the stairs and out of of the patio door. The record number of squirrels in our garden is currently twelve. They are a damned nuisance!

SAMMY

001.jpg

MJE

Despite what has been said I think I should mention that I had mice in my loft a few years ago. Got rid of them and so far they haven't come back by using an ultrasound and electromagnetic device. So far they have not come back. It's noticable that since then I have had more spiders up there.

Mine is similar to this one. I am fortunate enough to have mains supply in the loft so I leave it on all of the time however there are some that claim to cover the whole house anyway and would not need to actually be in the loft.

So it seems to me that whilst they may not work in all cases, in some they do.

Ian

Thanks Ian. That link doesn't work. I'm interested in the eelctromagnetic thingy in particular. I have mains also, I had it put in a couple of years ago, just to be able to have a couple of high-pitch thingies on constantly. Which they are. Maybe they work on some animals and other animals think that Springsteen is being played ...

Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 06/01/2014 06:38:34:

If it turns out to be bats, you'll have to get rid of them on the quiet, they are a protected species and you'll end up with and unsellable house full of droppings if the local council get to hear about them!

Despite posting the above, personally I would be flattered if a colony of bats decided to share our home. I have tried to make our garden wildlife friendly, with a small pond and native shrubs. We have been host to frogs, toads, a family of hedgehogs, the occasional fox. Our native wildlife is under constant siege due to urbanisation, pesticides and modern farming methods.

I like to see bats hunting around the night skies, they are protected because they are endangered, they pose no threat to humans whatsoever. Squirrels though, I believe they can chew through wiring and pose a fire risk, not sure if this is actually true, but even they can be deterred by non-lethal methods. I also understand that trapping wild animals, and releasing them elsewhere is actually lethal, as each local habitat already sustains the optimum population of wildlife and releasing ends up lethal. I'd be glad to be corrected if I am wrong about this.

Vis-a-vis the electronic pest controllers here is an extract from Wiki -

Cockroaches respond to electronic pest control devices by moving about a bit more than usual, but don't appear eager to escape from the sound waves. This includes devices that emit uniform frequency as well as changing frequencies of ultrasound. Rodents adjust to the ultrasound (or any new sound) and eventually ignore it. However, researchers were able to use the increased cockroach activity to good effect by increasing the rate they caught the roaches in sticky traps. At best, ultrasonic waves have only a partial or temporary effect on rodents. Numerous studies have rejected ultrasonic sound as a practical means of rodent control.

Tests of commercial ultrasonic devices have indicated that rodents may be repelled from the immediate area of the ultrasound device for a few minutes to a few days, but they will nearly always return and resume normal activities. Other tests have shown that the degree of repellence depends on the frequency, intensity, and the pre-existing condition of the rodent infestation. The intensity of such sounds must be so great that damage to humans or domestic animals would also be likely. Commercial ultrasonic pest control devices do not produce sounds of such intensity.

A case of caveat emptor. They might give you some piece of mind though.

Stopping them getting in in the first place is the most important thing. However, that is wise after the event. Once they are in the object must be to make it so inhospitable that they choose to leave, hence the sounds, lights and smells. After all, you might not be able to get a 'pro' to call for a couple of days during which time the little blighters might cause some damage.

As another qualified Pest Controller, I can tell you:-

1. Ultrasonic devices don't work and are a complete waste of money.

2. Disturb bats at risk to your wallet. The fine can be up to £4000.00 and, believe me, somebody will rat on you (no pun intended)

3. Don't try to shoot squirrels with either a .177 or .22. Get a professional to trap them.

4 Don't talk about setting dogs of any breed on a wild animal, even one you consider a pest. It can easily be construed as a case of cruelty to animals. You'd be surprised how many Acts of Parliament protect wildlife in this country and what you can and can't do to them. Nothing to do with the nanny state. Most have been in effect in one form or another for decades.