Scam

John Laverick

Got this scam in my e mail this morning, they're even tagging on people's names who we do business with. I think Mick needs to get a few English lessons!!!!!

I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our trip, because it was impromptu. we had to be in Lagos for a program. The program was successful, but our journey has turned sour. we misplaced our wallet and cell phone on our way back to the hotel we lodge in after we went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables we had I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but i have only very few people to run to now. i will be indeed very grateful if i can get a loan of 1900USD or whatever you can afford to are me from you. this will enable me sort our hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford in assisting me with. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. let me know if you can be of any assistance. here the hotel phone +234-8142442532 Please let me know soonest.

Thanks so much.
Mick Reeves
Sadly after watching a program on the TV last week, there's quite a few people who fall for this so beware?
John

Advert

Had one very similar from the manager of a campsite in Suffolk we visited last year. These are genuine mails from hacked email accounts, I have had a few from others in the past and they seem to be mainly AOL or Hotmail users.

Don't even reply to them as they will know you email address is valid or being monitored. I made that mistake once and got even more pleading emails.

Martyn

I must get a spam bank e.mail most days, usually telling me that my account needs my verify (not my verification !)

I like to respond and put ludicrous answers in the boxes provided and end with encouraging the spammers to try earning a living or get a proper job and I encourage them to go forth and multiply !.......I never get an answer back though.

I encourage as many people as possible to respond to these ridiculous hoaxes in the hope that the spammers waste a lot of time looking at answers, only to be miffed when we don't provide money, bank details, passwords....etc.

If enough people do it, it might just overwhelm the spammers 'in box' or take up so much of their time that they find working for a living more fruitful.

Kev

Hi Kev

The worst thing you can do is respond. Industry advice (and mine) is to simply bin them. Responding to an email flags your email account as active which then gets sold on and you will get more more SPAM and more importantly, it will be targetted rather than being general. You will also find your email address is being used as a source - so that you get NDR's from dumb SMTP gateways that can't check the domain name from its registered IP address and work out that the originator is using a spoof address.

SPAM messages are normally mailshot to thousands of people at the same time. Many accounts are dead, the spammers rely on people responding to maintain a list of live addresses.

Martyn

Yes its surely a scam and they are just taking the mickey!
But what does one do if genuinely stranded abroad! Sooner or later it will happen to someone......

This is what keeps the travellers cheque people in business despite the 10 percent charge between buying them and cashing them in !

One other thing I noticed this morning.

My SCAM mail had a read request set. Fortunately, my settings force me to accept and acknowledge read requests. Many people have auto acknowledge to read requests. If you have set this, then I strongly recommend you either rest to 'Ask' or perhaps better ' Never send' a Read response if you value your privacy.

BW

Martyn

Posted by kc on 16/01/2014 13:21:23:

But what does one do if genuinely stranded abroad! Sooner or later it will happen to someone......

I'd email someone I knew, for a start.....teeth 2

Regarding the read requests, I think they're particularly irritating and 'pushy' and I always decline to acknowledge them - I'll reply when I want to, not before.....face 5

Grumpy Pete....smile

Posted by kc on 16/01/2014 13:21:23:
Yes its surely a scam and they are just taking the mickey!

I guess one would have to write an email using proper, plain English! I mean, who travels to Lagos (or anywhere) "for a program", and as for, "we misplaced our wallet". smile o

I guess we should be grateful the scammers do still use poor English to help us distinguish the junk from the genuine!

The scammers must have read my previous post! Today I received this, allegedly "from" someone whose name I recognise, though can't quite place. They seem to have been working on the standard of their English...

Good morning

I hope you get this on time, I made a trip to Lviv(Ukraine) and had my bag stolen from me with my passport, mobile phone and personal effects therein. The embassy has just issued me a temporary passport but I have to pay for a ticket and settle my hotel bills with the Manager.

I have made contact with my bank but it would take me 3-5 working days to access funds in my account, the bad news is my flight will be leaving very soon and but i am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills, i only have access to the internet. I need your help/LOAN financially and I promise to make the refund once i get back home, you are my last resort and hope, Please let me know if i can count on you and i need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way i can reach you

Regards

Robin

It was sent to 'undisclosed recipients' and delivered to the address I use in my role as club treasurer. From the headers it appears to have originated from somebody in or around London using a UK2net connection and hacking "Robin"s yahoo/btinternet webmail account.