Advice needed on tablet choice.

Phil May

Morning all.
I'm thinking of buying a small 7' 'budget' tablet and have narrowed it down to either Samsung Galaxy 3 7" or the Tesco Hudl.
It will be used mainly for 'surfing' the net, e-baying and watching you tube.

I have a Samsung smart phone which I get on well with and was going to go for the Samsung...until I read some reviews on the Hudl.

Any opinions on either of these tablets would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Phil

Advert

For your purposes my advice would be to get a pre-owned iPad or iPad Mini. I know Apple products seem expensive, but they are excellent. I obtained a pre-owned iPad 2 two years ago (it was 12 months old when I purchased it) and in all honesty it's been faultless, apart from my inability to initially fine tune it to my requirements. Put that down to an age related problem!

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but the Nexus7 is far superior to both I bought mine after speaking to a "geek" who replaced his Samsung with the Nexus because in his words it was better in every respect. Love mine having replaced a Versus tablet with it + free 2 year warranty at John Lewis. Kevin.

I completely agree with Bill_B. Having used an iPad for all sorts of things from the very first day they were available in the UK they far outperform any of the others.

Just one word of advice if looking for a pre-owned one. Don't get a 1st generation. Quite a few of the latest "apps" and updates won't run on the early ones.

It might be worth looking at Apple Store UK as they usually offer refurbished not quite the latest models which are quite suitable.

I have absolutely no connection with Apple other than a satisfied customer.

I bought a Hudl the other week after looking through all the reviews and deciding this had the best features at the price I was willing to pay. One deciding factor for me was that it has an SD card slot so for £6 I have an extra 32GB of storage.

I can't compare user friendliness with anything else as I've never used any other tablet but it is reasonably easy to use, has a good screen for reading text and web browsing is pretty quick. It runs Androd 4.2.2 which I gather is a pretty up to date version.

ps - if you have a Tesco clubcard you get double your cashback value off - if you save £60 worth of cashback you get the Hudl free!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 18/01/2014 10:25:38

Posted by Paul Marsh on 18/01/2014 09:54:32:

Why does someone say get an Apple?crying

Apple are over-priced rubbish, you can't even upgrade the memory on them. The best are the Samsung and Asus. Not used the Tesco Hudl, but seems well specked and a good price.

It's simple really.................like Futaba vs Spektrum..............it's personal choice

Posted by Bill_B on 18/01/2014 09:45:04:

For your purposes my advice would be to get a pre-owned iPad or iPad Mini. I know Apple products seem expensive, but they are excellent. I obtained a pre-owned iPad 2 two years ago (it was 12 months old when I purchased it) and in all honesty it's been faultless, apart from my inability to initially fine tune it to my requirements. Put that down to an age related problem!

Couldn't agree more re apple. Yes they are pricey but having owned one since they first came out, and having tried other makes, they are still the best. My mark 1 iPad is around 4 year old and still performs faultlessly, I'm still finding new uses for itlaugh

Most useful bit of kit I've ever bought. Solid, dependable, and well supported but yes not exactly budget price but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Posted by Big Phil on 18/01/2014 09:14:53:

I have a Samsung smart phone which I get on well with and was going to go for the Samsung...until I read some reviews on the Hudl.

Any opinions on either of these tablets would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Phil

I'll go +1 for the Hudl, very good value for money (in my humble opinion), bought one last year soon after release, it's good value for money; it 'feels' solid and well built, screen and sound are both good. While there is a small amount of Tesco specific software installed it is not it anyway invasive in how the device works. It will suit your web based tasks very well but also can be used for all the other tasks you would expect of a small format tablet. (would recommend Kingsoft Office as a very good free office program).

The expandable memory could be a useful feature (although you need to instal a file manager program to use that) and the HDMI output is great, watching the You Tube vids on a large TV can be very impressive. Also I have found that using a 'stylus' brings a great improvement to the user experience.

Personally I am a Mac fan but I don't have any problem acknowledging the the Hudl is great device for what it is and it deserves to be popular for being a solid honest performer on the Android platform. The Hudl was bought for Mrs Avtur however it has since been replaced by an ipad mini retina display which she finds more user friendly; I wouldn't compare the Hudl to the iPad mini, they are not aimed at the same buyers.  

Edited By avtur on 18/01/2014 11:07:22

I won an iPad in last years Christmas raffle at work. Played with it over the Christmas and new year period then sold in at the end of January on eBay. Waaaay overpriced monster that has little connectivity and use for me.

For the price of an iPad you can get a tablet that does much, much more than an iPad does and still have enough change to buy a brand new DX7!!

I said it earlier, for the choice that Big Phil has presented, go with the Hudl.

I managed to get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" for a little over £100 for my daughter for Christmas and to be honest,it's a great tablet for everything she needs .The memory can be expanded with ease using a Micro sd card and being Android,plenty of good apps.She has linked it to her computer and can download quick and easy.If you want even better,but not pay the price of an ipad ,try the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10".

But at the end of the day,it's upto the individual user which machine he/she is happy to pay for and use.

F.F

Another vote for the Nexus 7 from me.

What HiFi Sound and Vision did a tablet review in the January edition and voted the Nexus 7 ( 5 out of 5 ) as the best overall when compared with the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7 ( 4 out of 5 ), Apple Mini Retina ( 5 out of 5 ), Archos 80b Platinum ( 2 out of 5 ), Asus MeMo Pad 8 ( 3 out of 5 ), LG Pad ( 4 out of 5 ), Samsung Galaxy Note 8 ( 3 out of 5 ), and the Tesco Hudle ( 4 out of 5 )

The nexus 7 cost me £170 on Amazon just before Christmas

Edited By Colin Ashman on 18/01/2014 12:49:28

Phil, have a look at the 8" Galaxy, it just about fits into jacket pocket still, but you get much more screen area. It gets poorish write-ups, but I still think it looks pretty good. If I didn't already have a 3g dongle and loads of laptops I might get one. On the other hand, wait a bit and you'll probably find better cheaper ...

Phil, I picked up a 7" Tab 3 for ?70 about two weeks ago. Things to know are that it doesn't support USB OTG, only the 8" and 10" do. The screen resolution is good but not as good as our iPad. I got it for wireless downloading of photos and editing on the move. Generally I've found it intuitive ( my first Android device) and am more than happy with it. It is after all a budget tablet and with all things, you get what you pay for. If you're near oxford you're welcome to have a play.

Edited By Matt Jones on 18/01/2014 14:02:39

Edited By Matt Jones on 18/01/2014 14:03:26

The Nexus and the Hudl came to of the Gadget Show's 'economically priced' tablets, with the Nexus pipping the Hudl on performance but the Hudl's price made it a very close competition.

I have to say avoid Apple, way overpriced, no removeable storage or memory expansion and no way to organise folders without removing all the content, creating the folders then loading it all back on again - absolutely barking! I'm afraid that Apple is all style over substance and they are great salesmen! I'm not anti-Apple per-se, we do have iPods which are great, but their phones, pads, laptops, etc are hugely overpriced for their performance.

Posted by John F on 18/01/2014 11:52:02:

I won an iPad in last years Christmas raffle at work. Played with it over the Christmas and new year period then sold in at the end of January on eBay. Waaaay overpriced monster that has little connectivity and use for me.

For the price of an iPad you can get a tablet that does much, much more than an iPad does and still have enough change to buy a brand new DX7!!

I said it earlier, for the choice that Big Phil has presented, go with the Hudl.

Thank you - someone who sees sense! People who use Apple don't know what other stuff can do. For example, can you rearrange your icons on an Apple, nope, just stuck with the same 4x5 layout. Can you upgrade the memory on an Apple. Nope. About putting music on. Don't even start that!!! itunes, pah! What about drag and drop, easy.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 18/01/2014 15:06:02

Thank you - someone who sees sense! People who use Apple don't know what other stuff can do. For example, can you rearrange your icons on an Apple, nope, just stuck with the same 4x5 layout. Can you upgrade the memory on an Apple. Nope. About putting music on. Don't even start that!!! itunes, pah! What about drag and drop, easy.

I don't think there's any mileage in rubbishing products because you as an individual choose brand 'B' over brand 'A' etc. The OP was initially asking for opinions on two particular products and all I did was to give him a third option, simple.

Posted by Bill_B on 18/01/2014 15:22:08:
Posted by Paul Marsh on 18/01/2014 15:06:02

I don't think there's any mileage in rubbishing products because you as an individual choose brand 'B' over brand 'A' etc. The OP was initially asking for opinions on two particular products and all I did was to give him a third option, simple.

Agreed...... Paul I did say in my post I had tried other makes😕❓

Only trying to help the op he's not after an apple -v- other makes slanging match😉

btw any iPad users who wish to know how to rearrange icons, add music/stream music/video or whatever please feel free to pm me so as not to kill the lads thread 

Edited By Craig Carr on 18/01/2014 17:33:43

Edited By Craig Carr on 18/01/2014 17:37:17