Morning all!

David S

Hi guys,

Another returnee to the sport just logging in to say hello.

I started to learn to fly some 10/12 years or so ago but never got as far as (which really means wasn't good enough for) my A test. Two small children and three house moves sadly postponed my flying but now my son is 12 and really interested in the sport it's great to make a return with him!

SWMBO kindly bought me a simulator and Multiplex Easystar for Xmas (after a few hints were dropped) and I maidened the latter yesterday - it was brilliant to be back and several flights and landings were managed without incident much to my surprise. Putting the hours in on the Phoenix sim first helped greatly to brush up on long forgotten techniques (can't really call them "skills" in my case!).

I have to say things have changed a bit though whilst I've been away! My FF9 35MHZ tranny at the time was state of the art but I see that 2.4GHZ is now the future - and as for LiPo batteries - blimey has technology moved on or what!

In keeping with this refreshed enthusiasm I had a trip into the loft with my son to retrieve my old aircraft. He was gobsmacked to see my trusty old Hi-Boy trainer which sadly has suffered somewhat over the years, a finished but as yet un-flown Seagull ARTF low wing trainer and my part built Flair Puppeteer. The latter is my favourite by far as I much prefer building from kits. I'm not really sure whether to go from the Easystar straight to the Seagull once I'm up to speed or whether I should get another high wing trainer first. At the moment I'm leaning towards the latter option but anyone's comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

I have now rejoined the BMFA and the next thing is to look for a club down here in SE Cornwall.

Sorry to have bored you all with the lengthy introduction but yesterday has really re-kindled my enthusiasm.

Regards to all.

Advert

Hi David,

what you describe is not uncommon to many of us - family and kids are normally the reason for a break - but the virus is strong enough to bring you back ....

About the re-start - it is like riding a bike - you will not forget it - may be you need some practise to get to the same level you have been before, but you will catch up easily. and if your break was long enough you will find an amazing improvement in technology!

Have fun

VA

Welcome back David! And welcome to the forum.

regarding whether to insert another high wing trainer between the Easystar and the Low wing trainer. A lot depends on how you feel. One significant factor is the "energy management" issue. This is the reason that you can't take an A cert with a model under 1kg - its not so much that additional skill is needed to handle a heavier model - its just a bit different.

Going from the easystar weighing maybe 11/2 pounds to a much faster low wing trainer weighing maybe 5-6lbs can be a step too far for some. You'll probably be OK - but maybe with a few "heart in the mouth" moments! The high wing trainer will ease the step somewhat.

It impossible to be definitive about this as I don't know how confident and comfortable you feel flying. But I do know that there is quite a big difference between flying an Easystar and a 40-60 size low wing trainer! You say that you are planning on joining a club, great idea! Maybe if your first flights with the low wing trainer were on a buddy lead the transition would be somewhat less challenging!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/01/2014 13:00:38

Welcome to the forum from me too David

It really is great to read the enthusiasm in your post.

I'd agree with the others, maybe defer your decision about what to do next until you are comfortable with a club.

The offer form cymaz sounds like a chance not to be missed too. A club trainer could well fill the gap between Easystar and the low wing trainer.

Wow!!

Thanks for the warm welcomes and fast responses guys!

Cymaz - I have just dropped you a PM and hopefully we'll be able to fly together - a great offer thank you!

BEB - I fully see what you mean. The Easystar certainly floated around yesterday in no wind at all and I can see what you mean about a much heavier IC aircraft being massively different. Hopefully Cymaz's offer will help me breach that gap!

Everyone's responses are much appreciated.

Regards to all.

Posted by john stones 1 on 20/01/2014 12:30:17:

Hello David

good move contacting Cymaz

don't be in a rush to spend, go enjoy the invite and see for yourself how things have changed.

as V.A says it like riding a bike, don't forget the puncture outfit cheeky

Thanks. The odd puncture I can handle - I just hope I can avoid going clear over the handlebars!