pegasus models hurricane

john melia 1

Advert

dsc03380.jpgHello John.

I am in the final stages of building a Mick Reeves Hurri and have put retracts into the foam veneered wing. I followed the drawing that came with the kit. I also used the same technique with a Mick Reeves Spit which is very old now so I know it is strong enough for some quite rough landings. If you e mail me then I will attempt to scan the drawing for you

Hello John.

My Hurri is 80" wing span. I made the wheel wells by using a thick copper wire held in a soldering iron to melt the foam after having cut the circle out, because my wheels are quite bulky I lined the bottom of the well with 1mm ply as I was nearly through to the top veneer. The sides I just used 1/16 balsa. I cut the wheel wells out before joining the wings as it made them easier to handle.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

• 3 years later...

I've just measured the C of G from my plan (original Galaxy badged) at 4 9/16" behind the leading edge at the fuselage.

The only problem you're likely to have is nosing over (it's a Hurricane!) but don't be tempted to set a rearward C of G - it will get rather ill-mannered if you do. I angled my retracts forward as far as possible. The U/C has popped out from the foam on quite a few occasions over the years but epoxy glue is wonderful stuff and any damage is localised...

I haven't flown it for a few years - funnily enough my thoughts had turned to recommissioning it just the other day but it's happiest from hard dry ground with freshly trimmed grass so I haven't done anything yet. 

They are not the lightest of models but fly without any vices (once off the ground) and look very good doing appropriate "airshow display" manouevres such as loops and reversals, slipping passes and nice barrely rolls.

P.S. Looking at the pictures above has reminded me that mine isn't quite standard.  I picked it up at the late lamented Watford Swapmeet back in January 2003 - very well used but obviously well built and detailed maybe 10 or even 20 years before...and I've added a lot more real-life weathering since!  

The ailerons had been cut out as per scale rather than the strip ailerons on the plan and slightly simplified (one piece) split flaps added. The sheet tail surfaces and control surfaces had been built up. These mods shouldn't impact too much on its flying characteristics - maybe a little in roll but everything is still as per the outline of the normal version.

Edited By Martin Harris on 16/02/2017 23:18:10

Thank you gents for all your informative replies.

I removed the mech, retracts , cut out the wing to have the new electric ones fitted with the wheels and oleos raked back, filled in with blocks of foam and lined wheel wells with balsa and 1/4 ply for formers to hold retract rails, all very strong after mods with half the wheel proud of LE looking from above so hopefully raked forward enough. Put a Laser 75 in it to see how that goes on the ground and if there would be enough humph in it for rotation, got a Laser 80 standing by if not last resort is OS90.

Thanks again guys, appreciated. Came to me FOC nice built model with panel lines and weathering so I can forgive the un scalelike ailerons.

John