Kev`s Dawn Flyer Build.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Very nice indeed Kev. Your glue staining is no where near as bad as mine was - a bit on the side like that will be hardly noticeable in the greater scheme of things! I had it all down the rear top decking!

I found that you will need to put a protective coat over the stain - or the slightest ding exposes white wood underneath. The Balsa does soak up the stain - but it doesn't go very deep. I used a clear gloss PU varnish - you could use a satin or even matt if you prefered.

BEB

Posted by Masher on 12/03/2014 10:56:21:

Coming on very nicely Kev BUT...........

I can see nice sunny daylight outside your window so why are you not getting the Mini Jazz maiden done!?

Indeed the sun is shining, and I would love to be out flying.

Sadly the new club site will not be ready for another couple of weeks. Old site now unavailable to us due to the construction of four massive wind turbines.

One very unhappy Kev.crying

Kev

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/03/2014 11:13:06:

Very nice indeed Kev. Your glue staining is no where near as bad as mine was - a bit on the side like that will be hardly noticeable in the greater scheme of things! I had it all down the rear top decking!

I found that you will need to put a protective coat over the stain - or the slightest ding exposes white wood underneath. The Balsa does soak up the stain - but it doesn't go very deep. I used a clear gloss PU varnish - you could use a satin or even matt if you prefered.

BEB

The stain is indeed unlikely to be seen once the wing is on.

That is why I am pressing on with it.

Kev

Due to the howling gale first thing this morning, and the fact that the new club site is still unavailable, I spent some time covering.

First the tail feathers.

046 tail feathers covered (1).jpg

046 tail feathers covered (3).jpg

046 tail feathers covered (4).jpg

Then the aileron`s.

048 aileron covered (1).jpg

Then on to the wing under surface.

049 bottem of wings covered (1).jpg

And with aileron`s test fitted.

050 ailerons in place (2).jpg

Common sense now tells me to put away the scalpel for this evening. That and because SWMBO made me have a glass or two of wine with our evening meal.cheeky

More tomorrow.

Kev

Another beautiful day, so another day of frustration for me. The new site should be ready in a couple of weeks. angry

So nothing to do except plough on with the Dawn Flyer.

Finished covering the top half of the wings.

051 top of wings covered (1).jpg

Secured the aileron servo leads to the extension.

052 servo security (2).jpg

Trial fitted it all together.

053 motivation (2).jpg

Glued the elevator joiner in place.

054 elevator glued (2).jpg

Epoxied into place the horizontal stabiliser.

055 horizontal surface glued (1).jpg

055 horizontal surface glued (2).jpg

Allowed that to dry and then added the vertical stabiliser using cocktail sticks for alignment and support.

056 stabalizer strength (2).jpg

Make sure it is 100% vertical.

057 stabaliser vertical (1).jpg

That`s it for today.

Kev

Very nearly there now Kevin! Although I always find that the "nearly there" phase lasts much longer than you expect! There always seems to be a couple more "small jobs" that need doing to just finish it off!

Looking very nice - same colour scheme as mine, we'll have to be careful if we fly them together!

BEB

Very nearly indeed (not). So today I decided on another first for me. Remember this is my first electric build!

Control horns.

I was just going to use shop bought plastic one`s, but they would be out of character for this plane.

So home made ones it is then. I should really have taken some pictures of the before. But anyway here are the after.

For some reason the camera would not focus on them very well.

058 control horns (1).jpg

058 control horns (10).jpg

058 control horns (3).jpg

058 control horns (7).jpg

I smeared left over epoxy onto the horns. Think it may add a little strength.

I have also added the rudder closed loop control bar.

M4 nyloc nut and bolt, silicone type spacer. A large Hitec control horn used with the nut epoxied in place.

043 closed loop  (2).jpg

It is the little things that take all the time up. Oh and yes I have cleaned up the epoxy overspill.cheeky

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 17/03/2014 18:10:48

Just heard back from Dennis, they are TopFlite items. Dennis thinks he got them from SMC but they are no longer showing. May be old stock as Top Flite seem to have discontinued them. Apparently some modellers are sourcing them from the US but having done a quick search they are quite expensive? Tower Hobbies show them as discontinued.....

Sorry thats not better news Darran....

Cheers

Danny

A little more progress today after work.

Firstly to fit the servo`s onto there rails and connect them to the pushrod for the elevator, and the rudder.

060 servo location.jpg

As you can see due to the difference in height I used BEB`S method and mounted them on a light ply tray screwed to a couple of batons. The rod for the closed loop going upside down.

The pushrod was stained and coated with PolyC before fitting.

Then onto the closed loop for the rudder.

061 closed loop  (5).jpg

061 closed loop  (1).jpg

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Latest few bits and pieces done.

Made the undercarriage.

062 undercarriage  (2).jpg

And then trial fitted it.

063 undercart fitted (1).jpg

So with just a few bits and pieces to do like the windscreen and rigging post I decided to check the CofG,

064 cofg lead  requred (2).jpg

Oh dear 6 Oz of church roof required.

064 cofg lead  requred (3).jpg

All boxed in and glued under the battery tray behind the firewall. I was not expecting to need quite so much.

Kev.

Kevin,

Are you able to position the battery any further forward ? I would also fix the lead in such a way that it could be removed in sections as I often find after the initial flight I can slowly creep the COG backwards by adjusting either battery position or removal of any unwanted lead until it's suits my flying style.

John

I was lucky and needed no added weight at all - but that litho plate around the front might have helped!

But 6oz does seem an awful lot.

One thing I would say - my CG is currently about 1/4" behind the recommended position and its still very stable - docile in fact. So I reckon you could go back a little further. But gradually of course!!

BEB

Posted by John Milne on 02/04/2014 20:02:00:

Kevin,

Are you able to position the battery any further forward ? I would also fix the lead in such a way that it could be removed in sections as I often find after the initial flight I can slowly creep the COG backwards by adjusting either battery position or removal of any unwanted lead until it's suits my flying style.

John

The battery will come forward but only by about 1/8th of an inch. It will then be resting on the underside hatch!

065 battery configiration (2).jpg

065 battery configiration (6).jpg

065 battery configiration (7).jpg

As you can see it is pretty tight in there.

The lead is accessible, with a little surgery. I just need to remove the battery tray. The lead is under that in a ply box.

Kev

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/04/2014 20:24:52:

I was lucky and needed no added weight at all - but that litho plate around the front might have helped!

But 6oz does seem an awful lot.

One thing I would say - my CG is currently about 1/4" behind the recommended position and its still very stable - docile in fact. So I reckon you could go back a little further. But gradually of course!!

BEB

I was surprised at that amount BEB.

I have my doubts about the location of my CofG!! As one does, I taxied her around the garden yesterday. Even with full up held in on the elevator, at the slightest bump over the nose went. Not a completely scientific test, but food for thought.

Kev

Kevin,

What are your thoughts on this.

I've looked at the plan again and whilst I always thought it looked conservative I decided to get my calculator out.

The plan COG is 48mm from the LE which gives a percentage value of 25% of the chord but the plan only shows the root chord and not the mean or majority of the wing chord which at its widest point is 230mm for most of the wing area.

When you apply a 25% calculation to this you get a COG position of 57mm which may explain why some are having to add nose weight to achieve the plan position, also some prefer a more rearward COG possibly upto 33% of the Chord from the LE. giving even more flexibility on having to add weight.

Have I missed anything or is my mathematics letting me down. dont know

Regards

John