Red Arrows Hawk

Hi all

I am hoping to bring my dream of producing a model project to reality soon.This is not a sales pitch, but I am trying to gauge a level of interest so I can decide whether or not to take the huge step of mass producing the model for sale to the EDF Jet enthuisiast

I have built the model out of my fondness for the Red Arrows Hawk that has lasted many Years.I have made it as detailed as possible with one of the most advanced 90mm EDF alluminium motor/fans available today.

The idea is to make the Jet a realistic but affordable alternative to a turbine model.

There is a photo file below and I would welcome any feedback and or questions from anyone who would be able to give an honest opinion.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Many thanks.

Advert

Looks like a winner to me.

One thing worth thinking about would be to allow for the use of different fans if needed. I've got both 90mm CS12 and Mercury alloy units, both sound and work great, but they have quite different dimensions when it comes to mounting them and it would be a pity not to allow for that in your proposed kit.

Out of interest, what fan have you got in the prototype...it sounds fabulous in the video!

Pete yes

it looks and sounds really nice , have you flown it yet , whats it made from . Gotta remember what you'll be up against as well , HK springs to mind with their myriad of cheap edf jets .

One of my mates buys the cheapies off HK then beefs em up and puts top gear in them , says it saves him a fortune doing that way .

Posted by Boeing Pilot 738 on 03/02/2014 17:48:12:

Hi all

I am hoping to bring my dream of producing a model project to reality soon.This is not a sales pitch, but I am trying to gauge a level of interest so I can decide whether or not to take the huge step of mass producing the model for sale to the EDF Jet enthuisiast

I have built the model out of my fondness for the Red Arrows Hawk that has lasted many Years.I have made it as detailed as possible with one of the most advanced 90mm EDF alluminium motor/fans available today.

Forgive my scepticism, BP, but it looks remarkably similar to the one featured on Steve Bishop's Facebook page, even down to the same Dropbox photo album link. The full spec of the model is there, so no need to answer my earlier question..

'whether or not to take the huge step of mass producing the model for sale to the EDF Jet enthuisiast' - It looks like someone already has.....

I have built the model - really?disgust

So who is importing the model - you or Steve Bishop? Please feel free to explain....smile

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Only just back here today and didn't realise there are replies!

OK for you skeptics...I had this model built to my own specs and I finish it now in the UK. I have decided to take the plunge and sell the model.Nobody else has the rights to sell it in the World except the company I have now set up which is REDS RADIO CONTROL LTD.

The model is presently being test flown and we are finding the best possible set up for the model.Lander engines re too heavy and makes the plane about 2lbs overweight for the size, wing loading etc.We pane to sell the model with top spec schubler 90mm fan and a tornado motor that we believe will make this a great plane that flies well.Photos of the finished model can be seen on the site I have built herehttp://www.redsradiocontrolhawk.com/.

Steve Bishop has done some work on the model at my request ,so yes it is the model on his Facebook page, but I own it.Steve Bishop does not import the model and only 5 exist at present.

To confirm this I have photos of my workshop and office in Wirral. if anyone once to see it. I will be finishing the models at my workshop and anyone is welcome to visit by appointment.I plan to sell the model as a version that is almost ready to fly (add fan/motor, esc and battery.And PNP just add battery.Less than £300 for the ARTF and that will be hand finished to order and perfectly set-up in front of the customer for collection as an option!

I consider myself to be an honest person and If anyone needs more information I am happy to provide it.

Thanks.

This forum is very much a two-way street, BP.... not a lot goes unanswered!smile

On the facts available at the time I believe my doubts were entirely justified, Willy. A lot may have happened in the six weeks it has taken for the OP to respond so the above clarification is very welcome indeed.

Looking forward to seeing some flying reports from owners...thumbs up

Pete

Peter, I agree that your doubts were justified and this forum is the place to express them, that way we all get to find out what's what ( or wots wot in many cases). It was good to see the response and let's hope it works out for BP. I am not sure where john gets £800 from? Is that the £300 for the rtf plus parts? Or did I miss something. £300 is not a huge amount for a decent Artf, depends on size finish etc etc.

i look forward to seeing one fly too. Unfortunately my short grass bumpy strip is not really suitable for fans unless they are simple hand launch foamies, which I don't like.

Hi Willy,

Just to respond to that.This is a very high quality model that is really finished by hand with lots of TLC that takes time.I think it would be a model anyone would be proud to own!

Our aim is not release the model UNLESS we can certify that it will fly off a grass strip!! I would neither feel comfortable with or have a clear conscience, if I had to ' suggest ' that a long tarmac runway was probably better than grass!! Seen that with hobby King and I can assure you that some set ups they suggest make the model so heavy that I believe they would crash if the you could get them to fly at all!! Once up, with such margins and given a swept wing, the wing loading will increase with bank angle and the stalling speed will increase! This will make for a very hairy experience for even an experienced model Pilot in my opinion!

Cheers!

Posted by Willyuk on 29/03/2014 22:01:24:

Peter, I agree that your doubts were justified and this forum is the place to express them, that way we all get to find out what's what ( or wots wot in many cases). It was good to see the response and let's hope it works out for BP. I am not sure where john gets £800 from? Is that the £300 for the rtf plus parts? Or did I miss something. £300 is not a huge amount for a decent Artf, depends on size finish etc etc.

i look forward to seeing one fly too. Unfortunately my short grass bumpy strip is not really suitable for fans unless they are simple hand launch foamies, which I don't like.

Here you go willy **LINK**

Hi Boeing Pilot.

The model looks really nice, and I hope your venture gets up and running.

Can I make a suggestion with regards to your website. I might do with a little tweaking and smartening up, and one thing that you might want to look at is the colour clashes. The dark blue writing with grey background is really hard to read and actually causes a little eyes strain. Black is a really bad colour background to use.

Modelling is littered with awful websites. This is not the worst. Mick Reeves is dreadful and there's no online shopping system, bar noting everything down and filling out an email to them. There are plenty of others I could mention. They still sell because of the quality of their kits, so I wouldn't write off a product because of a bad site, although the lack of description on the Hawk website is more worrying.

I'm not commenting on the product or description, but simply on the presentation which to me is totally unreadable.

Admittedly my eyesight is not the best but this and many other websites are fine.

Surely the purpose of any web site is to communicate and if they are unreadable they are failing in their prime objective.