John's Dawn Flyer Slimline Build

Devcon1

Advert

Liking the windscreen John! I struggled with deciding what to do with mine since most similar planes of a vintage era didn't really have one. I think I only went with the brass hoop style because of all the brass up front.

Your Spit looks awesome too! I would have a field day with that and my macro lens! photo

(wow there's a camera smiley! laugh  

Thanks Chris,

I'll have a play with the macro under daylight conditions as I couldn't get the focus on the interior properly.

Phil,

It's taken me all night, nearly, to shape 4 pieces of balsa to fit, I'd be here all night trying to make patterns. It's a bit like earlier in the pub tonight, I had a full round of drinks on the bar and the barman asked if I wanted a tray, I said you must be joking I've got enough to carry already thanks.

p1050151.jpg

The gaps between the frame and cowling will disappear when it's glued into position.

John

Couldn't resist so had a quick fly this morning.>>

it was about 7.30 and flat calm. Very very pleased with it.laugh>>

Take off was straight as a die with no rudder needed, it slowly raised it's tail and took off in a very scale manner.>>

Loops are terrific with everything happening slowly. landings are great fun. With all the open structure and draggy bits it makes a lovely noise and soon reached it's terminal velocity regardless of what you do with throttle and elevator. Power is perfect and just right for the model, it won't prop hang anytime soon.

I do need to add some down thrust though. Weight as it stands at the moment is 925 grams.

>>

Now, I mentioned this on Kevin's build as the balance seems to be a talking point. So here are my thoughts.

I've looked at the plan again and whilst I always thought it looked conservative I decided to get my calculator out.

The plan COG is 48mm from the LE which gives a percentage value of 25% of the chord but the plan only shows the root chord and not the mean or majority of the wing chord which at its widest point is 230mm for most of the wing area.

When you apply a 25% calculation to this you get a COG position of 57mm which may explain why some are having to add nose weight to achieve the plan position, also some prefer a more rearward COG possibly up to 33% of the Chord from the LE. giving even more flexibility on having to add weight.

Have I missed anything or is my mathematics letting me down. dont know

Regards

John

Footnote, I flew this morning at a COG position at 30% of the chord measured at the widest point and I feel it needs to go back further but is a personal preference on how I prefer it, I've got space on the battery rack so will continue to experiment.

Love the frame John will be stealing/copying wink that design unless I see something cooler at the club bring and show meet tonight

The Maiden news is good then and encouraging for those following your build might just be tempted to put this lightweight design on my (ever increasing) todo list

Windscreen and exhaust done bar a bit of painting.

p1050155.jpg

Glazed with ex Toy packaging.

p1050156.jpg

Framed covered with aluminium tape as used on the cowl.

p1050157.jpg

Just needs a rub down with a plumbing greenie to match cowl and coat of Pledge to seal it all in.

p1050158.jpg

After a rub down.

p1050159.jpg

Plastic bent under heat and with bending spring to form bend.

p1050160.jpg

Stubs let into holes in main pipe.

p1050161.jpg

Test fit prior to painting, I'll put collars on the stubs just to finish them off.

Regards

John

Thanks Lindsay,

I have to say I've enjoyed building this little beauty,

I think the last time I built from scratch to a plan coincided with the launch of the ZX81 and the Lockheed F-117 made it's first flight.

Cockpit coaming made from so,e Kavan Fuel Tube.

p1050164.jpg

Regards

John

On the home straight now..

I know I'll nose it over at some stage so have decided to think ahead, for a change, and build in some serviceability.

The post that supports the wing rigging looks exposed so I have decided to use some Evergreen plastic interlocking tube to form a replaceable mast.

The larger diameter tube has been set into the wing and decking with a reinforcing collar with the removable section being a simple friction fit held down by the tension of the rigging wires.

p1050167.jpg

The base tube will be sanded flush to the collar and painted in a contrasting finish.

p1050166.jpg

The mast will be painted in an aluminium colour.

John

Wing rigging finished. only two jobs left, the fuel cap and cockpit seat/controls.

p1050174.jpg

Alloy tube pushed through wing and secured with a dot of Cyano on the top and bottom.

p1050171.jpg

Decided to strengthen with a dab of epoxy.

p1050170.jpg

Mast joint.

p1050172.jpg

Nearly there.

Regards

John

Posted by John Milne on 31/03/2014 20:14:14:

<snip/>p1050124.jpg

Barrels painted with a coat of silver Revell Acrylic then a coat of Revell charcoal black, (drying between coats, then the edges rubbed off with a sponge sanding pad to give a worn look.

Rear mechanism sprayed with Tamiya metal paint then painted with a coat of Pledge Multi Surface wax and finished off with a wash of white spirit mixed with oil paint.

Regards

John

Where do you get your interrupter gear for brushless?

Plummet