A Quarter Scale Hurricane Build

Ken

Thanks for the email and info on this thread. I will look at your thread on the tailwheel. Not likely to do much on my Hurricane over the summer months ( if the weather plays ball ) but I will post some info when I get on with it.

Onetenor

Thanks for the welcome. Will look at aeromodeller forum.

Pat

• 5 months later...
Advert

To all faithful followers of the 1/4 scale Hurricane blog, an overdue explanation of the recent deafening silence.

Sadly, over the past several months, Paul's health has further deteriorated to the point where working on the Hurricane has become impossible, as has any significant physical exercise.
He has taken stock of his situation, and has decided to sell off his other models and radio control gear, whilst the Hurricane will be donated to an air museum, yet to be decided upon. His craftsmanship will thus serve to present a fitting tribute to the men and machines of No. 6 Squadron in particular, and the Royal Air Force in general, as well as providing inspiration for airmen and modellers for generations to come. He'll let you know where the Hurricane will be displayed in due course.
I can only admire Paul's courage in facing up to the rotten luck which has robbed him of his health and hobby, particularly when his major project is so close to completion, and would soon have been fit to fly. His persistence and good humour in the face of such adversity is an example to us all.
A big thank-you for your continued attention since the blog's beginnings, I feel priveleged to have been the reporter. In the meantime, if you would like to send Paul a message through the blog, he'd be pleased to hear from you.

Ken

It is very sad to hear that Paul has been forced to call it a day after having achieved so much. At least by his Hurricane being donated to a museum his craft and workmanship will be there for others to admire long into the future.

Please add me to the list of people who send him their appreciation and very best wishes. it has been a privilege to follow this outstanding project so far.

Hello Ken,

Ive really enjoyed what has been a fascinating and very interesting build thread . I'm saddened to hear that Paul's having to give up due to ill health and wish him all the best . Thank you also for your all that you have done to put this on the forum. Kindest regards to you both .

I too echo the sentiments of others on here re Paul's poor health, sincerely hope it improves in the future.

I too felt privileged to watch his wonderful build, and methods, on here. It is fitting the model will be displayed for all to see the craftsmanship involved and tis a pity that one of the very skilled scale guys on here could not finish it for Paul.

I'm in two minds for the Hurricane: see it finished and flying, or preserve it as an exhibit but I think I come down in favour of Exhibit.

Being an Australian and somewhat old, I'm unable to visit it in a museum or somesuch, unfortunately, whereas I would have seen it on Utube, no doubt, but I'd hate to see it totalled.. So, yes, preserve it, I say.

I must say the blog has been so fascinating that I, and many others, are so sad for Paul and the thought of no more build blog

Rex

I telephoned Paul a short time ago, to learn that his emails to me are not being despatched by his I-Pad, a problem we have encountered before.

He tells me the Hurricane is being prepared for display by locking the undercarriage and canopy (after installing the pilot), removing the engine, and so on and so forth, and that he has narrowed the choice of museums to two candidates, both in Scotland. More on that later.

Paul hadn't realised his audience extended so far around the globe. He asked me to let you all know how heartwarming he finds your blog responses, and although he would love to use the blog to express his feelings about not being able to take the Hurricane to the flying field, and to show his immense gratitude for your long-standing interest and expressions of hope and encouragement, he feels he would not be able to find the right words. I guess we can imagine how he must feel and what he would try to say.

Despite his situation he is of good cheer, and making the best of it, a real trouper.

I'll relay any further news in due course,

Our Best Regards to you all,

Paul and Ken.

• 8 months later...

Well chaps, it's been a long time coming, but at last I can tell you all where Paul's Hurricane has landed. He had hoped to find a place for it within the Museum of Flight at East Fortune, fairly central within Scotland and not far from Edinburgh, but they felt unable to incorporate it anywhere in their display, a great pity.

Instead it has been adopted by the RAF Montrose Museum, somewhat further north, and less accessible to many of you. The aircraft has been there for a few weeks now, and although I have emailed the curator, and telephoned to try to talk to him, I have had no communication from him. That's disappointing, particularly as I explained that this blog had many followers who were keen to find out where the model was being displayed, at least some of whom represented potential visitors to the Museum. A member of staff, after some hesitation, did tell me it is suspended from the ceiling, with other aircraft. Now you know as much as me, or Paul for that matter.

I hope to get up to Montrose some time this year, and I also hope that some of you will be able to view it, along with the other exhibits there. Visit the Museum website for more information.

That's the end of the build blog. I've enjoyed writing it ,and through it showing you the skill and determination that enabled Paul to create this masterpiece of a model. Paul, I salute you.

Goodbye All,

Ken