Balsa cutting tools

hi all,

I have been trying to find a small CHEAP table saw to cut balsa sheets etc to the required size. I have a slec balsa stripper but nowadays the hands cannot managed to acheive a nice paralell cut. ( its an age thing )!!!

Is there anything on the market that will cut up to a 1/4" or even 1/2" thick balsa with a fine blade. Any advise or guidance would be appreciated

Thanks all

Victor

Advert

Not a table saw as such but what about an Exact saw from JML as advertised on the shopping channels.

You can apparently set the depth of cut and I think it may have a fence / giude

http://www.jmldirect.com/uk/diy/exakt-saw-lite/invt/e08sl40100000001

Max

I don't quite see why you cannot get a parallel cut with a SLEC balsa stripper. The cutter runs in a channel so should cut parallel to the channel. The only remaining thing is to ensure the balsa stays in contact with the channel. If this cannot be done by hand then perhaps a piece of softwood/MDF with a 1/4 batten underneath can be used to push the balsa edge in towards the channel.
Then with multiple light cuts and maybe turning the balsa over to cut from the other side as well should work. Maybe buy a new blade - available from SLEC or I think they are a standard Swann Morton blade. (It's the Swann Morton Supatool heavy duty blade type V ) ) Maybe clean the aluminium channel and apply a little silcone polish ( Mr Sheen etc )with a rag to reduce friction.
If your hands cannot manage the SLEC cutter would they be safe with a table saw?
In my opinion the Exact saw would not cut straight enough on long bits of balsa and anyway it's expensive.

Somewhere there is info on using a cheap tile saw on balsa by using a different blade but again there is the safety issue and of course dust problem.

Edited By kc on 21/02/2014 17:26:19

An 8mm saw could cut almost twice that depth by reversing the wood and cutting a second cut from the other side.
But 95 pounds would buy an awful lot of ready cut balsa....
Otherwise enlisting a helper or an 'apprentice aeromodeller' might work.

Edited By kc on 21/02/2014 18:17:09

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Leo

Decision was made.. I settled for the Proxxon

But you know how the gods like to laugh at us humans!!! Well they decided to blow the central heating up the night before purchase, so you know where the money went !! However, I bought one of the Master Airscrews instead to get me out of trouble and found I could cut more accurate strips with it than with the SLEC. The Proxxon is still on the shopping list as it will have other uses for me.

Victor

Hi Victor,

Man ... Sorry about the Heating system ... I use the Master Air Screw and was surprised to see both how easy it worked and how well the strips turned out!

I am an retired Engineer. Have considered building mini rip saw but decided there was no real need for one. What I want, but the coins are not there for, is a CAMaster I CNC Router!

Glad all worked out for you!

Leo

Me too! Also now looking for a strip cutter for the lad, so the choice of Master also helps me.

Leo, I had the use of cnc vinyl cutters, not to mention a cnc router and masses of common items such as milling machines, several sizes of bandsaw, metal turning lathes, brazing hearth, soldering station with fume extraction and a metre wide laser cutter to boot; plus a dedicated technician to help! Needless to say they all came in useful! Ah, those were the days.

Edited By MMG on 15/03/2014 22:13:11