Phoenix Flight Sim/Hitec Optic 6

Dai Fledermaus

I have £80.00 worth of Amazon vouchers burning a hole in my wallet, so I'm thinking of using them to buy a Phoenix 4 flight sim.

My problem is that I'm not sure what else I need in the way of connections to get it to run it with my Hitec Optic 6. The Phoenix web site is not very helpful when it comes to this particular combination. I've discovered that Slough Radio Controls sell a Phoenix Futaba/Hitec round adapter for £5,25 - I tried to do a link to this particular product, but it doesn't work for some reason.

Can anyone tell me if this is all I need?

Thanks

Hitec use two different trainer/simulator sockets. All Tx prior to the Optic 6 use the 6 pin DIN socket, those with complete system/case rebuild since e.g. Optic 6 Sport, use a 3.2mm stereo socket 9 (Stereo plug for trainer lead whereas mono plug for Simulator interface)

Full details covered under:

. Aurora 9 - Trainer - Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up & Data Transfer
- Also covers Eclipse 7 Pro & other Hitec RCD transmitters.

Further information on Training systems under sub Section
"Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan Tong.

Posted by Colin Ashman on 02/03/2014 17:42:00:

Thanks everyone, in particular Alan Tong, because after starting this thread I found what I hope is the right connector in your EBAY shop. Could you just confirm for me if this is the correct one for my Optic 6 Sport

LINK

Not my Ebay shop but unit is said and looks to be correct.

Alan T.

Phoenix Sim arrived today, so I have a better understanding of what I need as an interface cable. Problem is, I can't find anyone who sells Hitec P/N 58318 which actually comprises 2 cables. One is shown in the above link which I don't need, because as AT says the Hitec Optic 6 Sport has a 3.2mm trainer port not a 6 pin DIN socket. The other cable, the one I need, is a USB to 3.2mm MONO plug. I'm happy to buy the two if I can find someone to supply it.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 05/03/2014 17:23:02:

There's one here, it would seem, Colin.

Having said that, I'm not sure how Phoenix will work without the supplied interface.

It won't!

The USB interface in your link lets you use the tx as if it were a PC joystick - so it will work with anything that uses a standard joystick. For instance, as it suggests in small print on that page, the FMS sim which is fairly basic - but free! I guess Microsoft Flight Sim would work with it too.

That lead is clearly of no help to Colin, then. From what I can glean, and it's all very confusing out there, if the audio plug on the Phoenix dongle doesn't work with the Optic 6 Sport, then Colin would need a 3.5mm audio socket to 3.2mm mono plug lead, assuming the 6 Sport has the same socket as the Aurora.....

Unfortunately, all my Spekky Tx's connect directly to the dongle without a problem and my Optic 6 has a DIN socket, so no chance to try it out.

Probably best to bin the 6 Sport and get an Aurora or Spekky, Colin......wink 2

Pete

At last the fog has lifted!!

Yesterday morning, I emailed Phoenix and Hitec explaining the problem - No reply yet. Then later, as I had bought the Optic 6 Sport from Steve Webb models, I emailed them and this morning they came up with the answer. What I need is this:- LINK

They don't have it in stock at the moment, but as they've been so helpful, I asked them to get one for me. So full marks the them.

Yes Pete, I did try the supplied lead which has a 1/8 or 3.2 mm stereo jack plug. It's fits, but when I tried to use the set up wizard, although it appeared to install everything as it should ( having said that I wasn't sure what to expect ) when I clicked on FINISH, I got an error message saying "Phoenix 4 is failing to respond" and I couldn't get beyond that point.

Thanks for that, Colin. I recall a similar situation with buddy leads for the DX8 - there's a difference of opinion on the Web over whether a stock mono lead will work compared to the Spekky item. I tried it and sometimes it did work, sometimes it didn't, so clearly the mono/stereo differences can be crucial.

Let's hope your adapter arrives soonthumbs up

Pete

Heeloo Colin!

How about this one ? **LINK**

I've been using for 1 year or so. Works perfect, no lead fitting problemssmiley. Fits about any Tx, see list on website. You need the original Phoenix interface and an Rx . Super if you want to connect your PC to a TV set. Real cool flying on a BIG screensmile d

Torbjørn, Norway

Posted by Colin Ashman on 08/03/2014 09:20:59:

Yes Pete, I did try the supplied lead which has a 1/8 or 3.2 mm stereo jack plug. It's fits, but when I tried to use the set up wizard, although it appeared to install everything as it should ( having said that I wasn't sure what to expect ) when I clicked on FINISH, I got an error message saying "Phoenix 4 is failing to respond" and I couldn't get beyond that point.

Colin if you got to the point of pressing finish, does that mean you went through the calibrate section? with the orange bars responding to the transmitter?

Or does your mention of pressing finish just refer to the initial installation of the program on the computer?
Either way, I have a suspicion that yours is a software/computer issue and not a cable one.

Chris,

The set up wizard took me through the Initial Setup, then Calibrate Transmitter, followed by Setup New Transmitter, Setup Controls, Create a New Profile. I got as far as Setup Completed and when I press Finish, I get an error message.

As I said, during this process I didn't know if the responses I was getting were the right ones not having done it before. I then uninstalled the programme and reinstalled it, and went through the setup process again, with the same result.

I'm running Windows 8.1 on a fairly new PC. It maybe, as you say, software issue but I'll wait for the Hitec Interface to arrive before exploring the matter further. At least that will be one potential problem eliminated. The cable is only a few quid so It's not a big deal if it turns out not to be the answer

• 5 weeks later...

Well, here's the latest. After waiting weeks for the Phoenix DXE5E Adapter to arrive in stock with Steve Webb Models, I finally cancelled the order after searching the internet again and again and managed to find to find one, the last one in stock from another supplier. It seems this item is as rare as hens teeth at the moment in the U.K.

The result? it makes no difference. I still can't get it to run beyond the setup wizard. As I said previously, I just get a message saying "phoenix v4j not responding" so it has to be a software/computer issue as someone earlier suggested.

I've now emailed Phenoix again - my first message weeks ago, came back to me undelivered and garbled. I'm rapidly loosing the little hair I've got left now. There is just one question perhaps someone could answer for me. The set up instructions ask you to make sure the transmitter is in PPM mode not PCM mode. What does that mean? I can't find any reference to it in the Hitec instruction manual.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 07/04/2014 15:16:55

From the Optic 6 Tutorial document - which I downloaded a while back:

The Optic 6 system is capable of transmitting a signal using a standard PPM (Pulse
Proportional Modulation) encryption method, or QPCM (Hitec’s Q Pulse Code Modulation)
encryption method. PPM mode is the “normal” FM type of signal encryption used by a
majority of modern radio system and is common to all major brands of radios. QPCM is
Hitec’s exclusive system that adds another layer of reliability to your radio system by using
digital signal encryption to provide better signal reception with less chance for interference by
static or stray signals. Only the Hitec QPCM receivers may be used with this mode of
transmission. To change the Modulation type of your Optic 6, enter the Model Setup Functions
screen by depressing both the UP and DOWN Edit keys while turning ON the main power
switch to the Optic 6, then use either the UP or DOWN Edit keys until you scroll to the flashing
PPM screen or QPCM screen, whichever was left active in this model memory position. To
switch the modulation type, simply press either the < or > Cursor key and note the screen. If
you wish to use PPM, the screen should flash PPM. If you wish to use the Hitec QPCM signal
encryption, the screen should be flashing QPCM. To exit the screen, simply turn the Optic 6
transmitter OFF.

In short, yours should be at the default PPM setting already - it's only with the QPCM Rx's that need it changingthumbs up

Pete