im wanting to buy a wattmeter and would like your opinions

have been looking at 2 on HK

a 7 in 1 megameter or a 130 amp wattmeter and power analyser

which is best buy?. I don't do much electric r/c as yet but like to do it right

I've looked at specs on them both, one comes with servo tester so im tempted the other seems to be a better meter though. so which do you recommend

cant do a link sorry i'm rubbish with pc's as well blush

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 11/03/2014 23:30:44

Advert

I think the 130amp unit is all you will ever need. For electric models you need to know peak Amps and ideally mA-Hr and it does all of that plus voltage so perfect is my assessment, but then for a few dollars more you get all those extra functions, so for $17 that's got to be worth it - decisions decisions

From my own personal experience I'd recommend you buy one from a local shop rather than HK. I like the Turnigy and the GT power stuff from GS but watt meters are dealing with high voltages and currents and mine died after a few weeks (used about 4-5 times). Sending it back to HK just wasn't an option so I bought one(JP I think it was) from LHS. It cost a bit more but if it failed to light up within 12 months I could just take it back. Fortunately this one is much more reliable that the cheaper ones and has lasted over 2 years!

I agree with CB. I bought a Megameter and it wasn't really satisfactory at all. After a couple of months I discovered the tacho didn't work. A couple of months later the wattmeter stopped working, and all it would do was measure voltage. I now have a GT Power meter and it works - if I feel I need a tacho I'll buy a separate one.

I got an original version Emeter for about £45 from BRC in pre-lipo days. It totaly failed suddenly after about 18 months but I got a replacement for the cost of 1 way postage.
This version Emeter has a built in tacho & memories to store 5 sets of data. It means I can change props &/or batteries recording A, W, V & rpm for comparison after testing. If I ever want to replace it I'm not sure if there's anything available now that can replicate or better this, other than the newer version Emeter which, IMO, is way too pricy.