Chip Shop

Danny Fenton

Advert

Barry - there are stockists but they appear to be all OOS!

Somewhere on the threads - one of the Chippites said he had spoken to Flair and some will be made in the near future. I had already ordered some from Balsamart - Blackburn and they expect them in a 'couple of weeks' Apparently Flair would sell direct when the new batch is made.

Be aware tho' that they are not silver soldered only soft soldered. Our Guru Danny tested his to 8.5lbs before it gave. In the meantime I made my own and it seems very strong. The considered opinion is that although soft soldered may be OK silver soldered is best.

Terry

The problem is John the shapes of the aileron and flap are different so it is not just a case of cutting the shroud. If you get a shot from underneath you will see that the wing trailing edge would need relieving considerably to accomodate the larger flaps. I think I will just accept it as it is and move on.

I have the parts for the Jerry Bates Chipmunk to build at 1/4 scale, one day. Perhaps I can sort out the problems with that one

1/4 scale version next year then chaps

Cheers

Danny

Hi John, revisiting this as a few seem to want to try and address this error, there is some wriggle room. We may be able to leave a little more meat on the flap leading edge and cut the shroud back slightly. I propose I have a play when i come to the ailerons/flaps. Whatever we do the wings will be basically the same.

But please we may be losing sight of what we are trying to achieve. This wont be an F4C model, the plan is not good enough for that. Most people wanted a model that will be good, with some nice detail. This will be that don't worry about the inaccuracies (Hark at me, I am losing sleep over them smile o )

If you look closely the rib count in the wings are wrong, as are the number of ribs in the aileron. So to the elevators. So please don't turn this into a full blown scale model, there lies madness.

If you want to have a pop at F4C then that's great, I do to, but cut your teeth on this one first We want 20 flying Chipmunks, not 20 unfinished projects......

Okay sorry rant over wink 2

Cheers

Danny

For what it's worth I agree with Danny's last post here entirely. Any scale model is a compromise between on the one hand - what can be built, what will actually fly at our scale and just how much trouble we want to go to - but on the other hand we want a perfect reproduction of the full size.

It's a shame, in a way, that I'm going to lag some way behind on this one (due to circumstances, rather than intent). If you could see me building the wing you'd see that I wouldn't loose a moments sleep about the step in the aileron/flap shroud. To change this would either be a bit of a fudge, or would require wider flaps or narrower ailerons and a step in the T/E. Too much to change IMHO.

To my mind, we're building the Bryant Chipmunk, and that doesn't have the step...

+1 for common sense, I was also starting to get worried about this.. Danny's comments above have now consigned my model to stand off scale plus detail... - cockpit detail etc. I was worried how I was going to make a functional elevator tab and if I could get a micro servo built into the tailplane..

Thanks Danny, thanks Chris.

You've said this at various points over the past 6 months but it's easy to forget it when we get down to individual build sections.

It's a good idea to remember the original aim and the option for people to do as much or as little detail as they want, every now and again.

I remember the words of a previous boss (no, not SWMBO), "When you're up to your (backside) in alligators, it's easy to forget that you came in to drain the swamp"

I'm still wrestling with the SLEC/Apache Chipmunk kit build. It's so far from scale in so many areas that I'm now just using it as a practice test bed for scale building and finishing techniques, things I haven't done before like stitching and rib tapes and rivets etc.

I was originally annoyed that I wouldn't have the time to join in this mass build, but given the discrepancies you're all finding with the DB plans, I'm actually pleased that I didn't park the SLEC one and switch to this. I will build as scale a Chipmunk as I can some time in the future as it's an aircraft that is very dear to me but, as ever, other projects are vying for attention.

I'll continue to follow all these builds with great interest (and admiration).

I am after a few thoughts..opinions on a few things idea

First the u/c, it worries me a bit, our grass field will find a weakness even with silky smooth landings like mine cheeky

I feel it's better to add a little strength now, than have to repair later and add even more weight. How ? I don't know yet till I start it.

Second, how much flap movement will I need on this ?

Third, and I might be talking rubbish herewink but have those who bought a ready made elevator horn (joiner) checked that it won't clash with the rudder one (is it long enough)

John

Hi John, I'm a it worried about the u/c too. I keep thinking if I bend the leg, the wing structure isn't going to be strong enough to straighten it in situ, so it will have to be cut out straightend and put back again !

But having seen Danny's build and realise how light the structure is I'm not sure beefing it up is a good idea, I'm sill trying to decide.

If I do beef it up and I'm no expert, what I thought is.

Go up a wire size to 6 swag, assuming I can bend it, I'm not using oleo's.

Use 1/2 x 1/2 bearers but try and cut a channel along one edge so the u/c wire occupies the same space. The tin clips will be fine to hold it in place

I think the inboard rib and ply sandwich is strong enough but do the same for the outer rib back to the main spar.

And that's about it, if I do it and as I say I'm still in too minds.

I agree Chris, which is why I'm in two minds. When I first looked at the plan I thought, stronger wire. I have been known to bend 8 gauge, although it was more of a crash than a landing. The more I see of the builds goin on though, the more I think, leave it alone and stay with the plan.

Gent's

Just happen to have the pilots notes and according to the pilot's notes the flaps have three positions. Up (fully forward), 15 degrees (mid) and 30 degrees(fully back).

It also appears that the use of the flaps was not mandatory, "without the use of flaps, the approach is long and flat and very little power, if any, is required."

SW