Easy To Use CAD For Beginners

Paul Millard 1

Advert

Tony

You will have seen handles, the blue blocks that from time appear when you are doing something. With Total, they can be visible, they are telling you how that item is being handled, for example, it could be this point that a rotation takes place. In Autocad, things are as often as not, not apparent, either being logical in how the function operates, or you could be asked via a dialogue box.

You can also in Total, define your own handle.

Now to the the problem we both have been having, a mirror image. I was unsuccessful on being able to define a handle, that would do what i wanted. I could get a single element to move as required , although not the whole set of lines.

My solution was to do a mirror. I then grouped the mirrored image. I then set a handle on a convenient point on the edge of my grouped items. I then the "move" command and clicked onto the point where I wanted the image to land. This time successful. I think there will be other ways, may be better.

There is a lot of good tuition going on here and I see the national sales of paracetamol going through the roof time to buy some shares cheeky

Everyone seems to be going along the 3D route and its easy to see the attraction, however I've used a 2D package for a while now and it serves my basic purposes well, yes you need to be able to convert to 3D in your head but having worked with other peoples design drawings most of my working life I tend to be able to visualise quite easily.

Just a quick demo video here of my system Solid Edge ST6 2D

This is just a demo showing the use of lines converted to B spline curves and mirroring, after reading much of the above this, possibly because I'm used to it, seems considerably simpler

Posted by Tony Bennett on 22/03/2015 20:29:30:

yes well hmmmm

i got none of that. sad

Watch on Utube and full screen Tony follow the pointer the pop up menus describe each button function as I hover over them, you have to, unfortunately, be quick to read them maybe I can edit it to run slower ??

Phil

Solid edge appears to be very similar to Autocad.

Total does not allow you (it appears) to select a line to mirror or reflect around.

That was the point of me making the image a group, so that I could mirror, then using the handle command i could place a handle on the edge, Without a group, the system takes the space selected for the mirror, rather than a line, for the defining of where the handle should be placed. With a group, it takes some feature of the group, that you select.

In this respect Total is long winded and not convenient.

That is some one knows how to do the mirror of a group of items in Total, without grouping accurately to a defined axis/point.

Stephen, as they say, "its easy when you know how". I'm sure you've helped the TotalCaders no end.

As a matter of interest to you, I use the Mirror Copy command in TurboCad. I've never done it your way - we live and learn.

Ian

Posted by IanR on 23/03/2015 19:36:12:

Stephen, as they say, "its easy when you know how". I'm sure you've helped the TotalCaders no end.

As a matter of interest to you, I use the Mirror Copy command in TurboCad. I've never done it your way - we live and learn.

Ian

Hi Ian,

You're way works great up to Version 16 , But i can not find it on version 18 , So i think my way is the only way on Version 18 Onwards ? .

I think from now onwards i shall start my post stating type and version to save any confusion .

Steve , TurboCad 18

Stephen, I use TurboCad 9 Pro, exclusively, but also have TurboCad 21 Pro on my computer. In 21, the Copy Command Toolbar is not visible by default but you can open it from Menu/View/Toolbars.

As regards working in 3D I would say that, in my opinion, the most important thing is to display the workplane - a red box - at all times, otherwise things can get awfully confusing very quickly. Then, occasionally switch to a side view so that you are looking at the Workplane end on. Then, having confirmed where you are about to place the object you are about to draw, return to your main view and continue drawing. (Am I trying to teach my grannie to suck eggs?)

Ian

Ian

I just tried to paste the Total instructions in. Unfortunately all the images do not copy, without them, it is pretty meaningless.

Autocad and Autosketch is really simple, as it also appears Turbo is. Total appears to be a little more difficult, although re-reading the instructions it may be possible to use the custom mirror to achieve the same, which I will try in a minute.

Unfortunately this week I am very busy, all over the place. So responses will be limited.

Tony

I have found another way of making a mirror image.

The first thing is to recognise (i believe this to be true, unless others know otherwise) is what is mirrored is on your note pad. If something is there already it needs to be eradicated. So the first thing is to copy image.

I make sure that I have the snap on, which is a wand like symbol. I also click on the L symbol beneath it for snapping onto a line. It is possible that just clicking onto the L does the same, just have probably not tried it.

The next thing is to select the mirror command. In the drop down tool box select Custom Mirror. This requires, two points, for the axis that the mirror takes place.

There are two keyboard toggles that I use a lot, I use Z, to zoom in and CTL W to zoom window (Total does not have the simple toggle of Autocad, which I think is a F key.

I then zoom into a point on one axis that I want to mirror about. I zoom out, then zoom in to another point for the mirror.

Hey presto job done accurately.

It is still long winded compared to Autocad, yet it its shear versatility could be very useful.

Stephen, I've never done it myself so I'm not certain, but could it be something to do with "Lofting". I've just looked it up on the TurboCad 21 Help Website and it appears that lofting is only available with TurboCad Pro or TurboCad Platinum. Perhaps I'm wrong and someone will come up with a more helpful solution.

Ian

I think I just may have to go 3D after seeing the work happening here, The following is about 8 hrs work for me on Solid edge 2D and there is are still some wrinkles to iron out before going into the workshop with these plans, the subject is an ultralight M19 flying squirrel, a nice simple home built design that should produce a nice floaty flyer for those balmy summer evenings we all dream of. 1500mm wing span, for about a 52 FS or equivalent electric, probably on a 4S setup.

First the subject

flyingsquirrel2.jpg

Very reminiscient of something else from this angle

m19_justin.jpg

Now my 3 view this was basically traced over a .bmp image of the designers 3 view

flying squirrel plans 1.jpg

Side view after much work, mirrored to allow the fuselage to be built in two halfs over the plan, a great way to get a straight fuselage printed out a A0 will give a full size plan

flying squirrel plans 2.jpg

The front view drawing still in need of some work but as it's mainly for reference only probably not that much

flying squirrel plans 3.jpg

Plan view, once again for reference hence the host of dimensions shown

flying squirrel plans 4.jpg

The parts sheet, formated so if I desire I can send it of for laser cutting, just a scale to add, and the desicion on whether to make flat sheet tail feathers or built up ones, prob the latter

flying squirrel plans 5.jpg

And finally the wing layout sheet to build the wing panels over, the second main panel is included so both panels can be built at the same time

flying squirrel plans 6.jpg