Easy To Use CAD For Beginners

Paul Millard 1

Right, I have now played with the Total Cad a bit more.

There is one thing I keep forgetting, not every one is from an engineering background. It matters to a limited extent, that drawings are a means of communication, which abounds with conventions, that go unnoticed bt those who know the conventions. Some do appear on model drawings, although limited and not often.

The obvious is that the Centre Line of an object, is a chain dot line, traditionally thin. It is a datum from much of the rest of the design is referenced to.

Another, is that short dashes are used to show there is an edge that is hidden.

Cross hatching a surface (typically at 45 degrees) has traditionally been used to indicate that this a sectioned surface. In the very early days before every one could read, you did see items coloured, in a similar way to rendering (as seen now) to indicate different material types, ie steel, brass, etc.

Back to our Total CAD, it is the same as all the others in most respects, although different. Now that is contradictory. All or most of the command functions appear to be there, many have different names, Autocad, offset, becomes,parallel. This seems frequently the case.

Some things I cannot get to work and are structured differently to Autocad, such as Array, this seems very powerful compared to Autocad, I think because it is set up as a 3d multiple matrix.

As possibly Dylan has mentioned, it is usual to draw one half of a symetrical object, then to reflect or mirror the other half.

I have noted some one has had trouble with complex curves other than simple arcs. Total CAD does them, surprisingly described under the classical mathematical description of "Bezier Curves". The way in principal this is used, is to fix the two end points, then via a number of handles to pull the curve into the shape you want. Takes practise from memory, but works well. I think Autocad calls these splined curves.

So far Total CAD appears to be incredible value (£7 delivered), that anything a ordinary modeller would want great. I am guessing that supplying Dylan with you drawing of formers etc., would not be an issue as a .dwg file.

I must say I do prefer the structure of Autocad, but that was the first CAD system I used which had a windows type interface, with icons, pull down menus, I am familiar with their set up, even though it is many years since I used it. Most of the others were a real pain to use,and I think I will come to just accept Total Cad as it is.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/02/2015 12:43:13

Edited By Erfolg on 28/02/2015 12:44:02

I probably have previously stated that there is no offset as in Autocad.

Well that is wrong, it is called Parallel line by distance, in its most useful form. It is not difficult to use, although sequence of operations is critical, as with most CAD systems.

You will find the tool, bar as a button third down on the left hand side.

After pressing, a dialogue box appears. Type in the offset required. Then click on the line to be copied. Then second click a point in the direction you want the line to be positioned.

The line then appears.

Just got the virus from you guys and ordered Turbo cad 16 deluxe from Maplin for 7.99.

I did play around a bit with Autocad in my job some years ago

16 years ago ??? Yes I am an old guy and have the feeling that I did work already too long - but as it looks I have another 9 years in front of me

- and there is an engineering background. So no excuse then

Will keep you informed when I throw my nerves away and destroy the pc.... - thanks god I have the forum also on my phone...

VA

Excellent, Tony! Well done - next time the whole wing in half an hour and after that you'll be knocking them out like nobody's business.

Vecchio, personally, I wouldn't worry too much about getting an older version of Turbocad I have used Turbocad 9 for many years now and it has done me proud for both 2D and 3D work. I think for our modelling purposes the older versions are more than adequate. The newer versions are seriously good with the ability to produce stunningly photo-realistic drawings but the basics are just the same. For instance, Turbocad 9 could produce any of the free plans provided in the magazine and would also be able to produce the 3D "cut-away" drawings which accompany them.

Normally, of course, we would usually like to get the newest version of a program but in this instance I don't think I would lose any sleep over it.

Ian

PS   Tony, how did you get your drawing onto the forum?

Edited By IanR on 01/03/2015 00:02:44

I did this using paint to save the screen shot to

I managed to set the lines 6.5 mm apart using the double line thing, right clicked on the icon to find the settings for it. it was in properties click on double line on the left menu

I must have a look at this photo bucket thing, seems better than the way I have done it

tail 1.jpg

Edited By bert baker on 01/03/2015 09:28:47

Hope you don't mind me jumping in but has anybody considered the tools such as DevFus, DevWing and DevCad which are available (along with several others) on this site - **LINK**

Whilst DevFus and DevWing fall short of being able to create 3D exportable CAD drawings (they do create a 3D image for visual inspection of the model) they will take inexperenced user's a long way towards preparing a CAD drawing in a conventional drawing package such as TurboCad/AutoCad etc.

I use DevWing & DevFus to draw the fuselage and wings. These drawings can then be exported (using the DXF file format) into AutoCad/TurboCAd etc and the drawing completed as required.

Brain ache, Thanks for the headsup.

I would prefer at the moment to use Turbocad.

I do have an old computer with an early version of AutoCAD, and solid works, both I have found hard to be beyond me.

I think if I do the Turbo cad first I may pick the others up later more easily.

This is as far as I have got with Total CA

g244.jpg

At this degree of resolution it may not be obvious there is an issue with the snap, as I have set it.

I am not accurately snapping to intersections, nor can i get it to snap to the end of a line.

I am not at one with the snap, which has a label off, but it seems that your snaps are below, which can be activated/deactivated by pressing the particular snap button. What the off signifies defies my logic.

At present I am finding the zoom painful to use. I like the autocad, zoom window, again which is not obviously available. Also has a toggle which allows toggling between two windows/zooms.

The 3 point arc works ok.

What I will be trying next is to make the fuz outline a single entity/ a group, which I will tyy to parallel by a distance to create the inner skin.

For those who do not know what it was, it was a twin boom (Cl is on the wing) carring an engine each and a pod fuz, for carrying freight, a Gotha 244B.

Hello, Vaughan, sounds interesting. Any chance you could email a couple of DXF file format DevWing/DevFus files to me so I could have a play in Turbocad? If you were to message me I could message you back with my email address.

Ian