Easy To Use CAD For Beginners

Paul Millard 1

I have used a few Autocad clones for a number of years (TurboCad,DoubleCad etc) and apart from being expensive are quite complex for newbees.My favourite one to use for basic use is one I have had the longest and is only around a tenner.Totalcad is a baseline program of the others I have mentioned yet runs much nicer than any of them.It comes with a excellent set of tutorials that you learn by filling in the missing parts and move to the next.

It really is easy just take your time.

Total Cad Part no ESS220.

Posted by PatMc on 31/03/2014 23:30:04:

Is this the version of Totalcad you're refering to ? Does it run on Win 8 ?

Yes that's the one. I've evicted all copies of Windows 8 from my house and installed Windows 7, so can't speak from experience; Win 8 isn't listed on the supported operating systems on the Focus Multiumedia web site though.

Monz

Yes it is.

I am sure DraftSight is excellent but it has a steep learning curve for a begginer and once you are used to it you are kind of stuck with it because it is different to Autocad and it,s clones.There are free ones out there but they are a mixed bag when it comes to learning support and file types.

I think most modellers only want to make a descent job of producing plans for their hobby and not have to make a career of it and that is what a full blown cad program takes.

Posted by Paul Millard 1 on 01/04/2014 19:26:22:

Instead Windows 7-8 have you tried Linux? For the past ten years I've used Ubuntu because it just works all the time and every things free.The only use I have for Windows is Compufoil and CAD software other wise Microsoft know where they can stick it.

Paul

I've been on Linux for about that long, formerly Ubuntu and now Linux Mint. I have Windoze 7 for gaming.

Have you tried any of the CAD packages for Linux, and if so, how does TotalCAD compare?? I have just started to evaluate FreeCAD, Libre CAD and BRL-CAD. Perhaps evaluate is gilding the lily a bit - having no CAD experience I am blundering around trying to see if I can do what I think I'd like to. Its fun learning new stuff though.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about this late reply Graham.I have no info on Total Cad for Linux but Qcad or Libre Cad are pretty good for free and can produce anything that a pro outfit can it just takes a bit more thought.What I like about the more basic software is that runs nicely without bugs and crashes that does at some time plague Pro setups.I have tried all the ones you mention (some are lousy) and have only liked the ones that come with the distro.Any one can use CAD but the help is very poor and complicated.The tutorials on Total Cad 1 are loaded from file and are very easy and will get you started .Go through the tutorials carefully and all the instructions are there.I have seen people Knock this program on the web so obviously if they cannot be bothered to read a few lines of instruction they are not going to be able to use it.A subject that can take years of college study and they say it is no good because they loaded it once and gave it a quick prodding.

• 10 months later...

Depends what you call decent and what you call a reasonable price because you normally have to pay for what you get. However, I recently discovered an exception to this rule!

I studied computer-aided engineering and worked with CADCAM for a number of years, although I've been away from it for around 25 years and things have obviously progressed. When I got back into aeromodelling I looked for the most suitable CAD system for my needs, and when I discovered ViaCAD 2D/3D from Punch! I was amazed at the value. It's available for PC and Mac and the 2DE/3D package currently costs $100 while the 2D one is $40.

ViaCAD

One might think that $40 is expensive for 2D and $100 expensive for 2D/3D when you consider there are free programs available, but the user interface is one of the best I have ever come across and the kernel is the most advanced, for a cheap system, that I have ever seen as well. It includes modelling of conics - those complex curves used so extensively in aeronautical engineering. One would expect top pay thousands of dollars for this capability in 3D.

Conic_sections

Other CAD programs might by all means do what you want and be easy to use, but when I discovered this one I bought the 2D/3D version immediately.

Please allow me to add that I no longer work in the CAD industry, my purchase was for private use, and I have no commercial involvement with Punch! or ViaCAD at all.

Edited By Andy.I on 21/02/2015 06:51:58

Hi ,

I went into pc world about a month back and seen Turbo Cad 21 in the bargain bin , and when i inquired how much it was i nearly fell over £50 half price ! .

Need less to say i did not buy it , as i have version 14 and 16 which i bought a few years back off there £9.99 revolving rack along with all there other budget titles .

I also have Total CAD version 2 and a spare copy still sealed , un used off the same rack i had not realized i already had a copy.

I have tried many of the free cad programs out there .

I can tell you i am not a cad person , but as a beginner i found Turbo cad to be the easiest to get to grips with ,

Out of curiosity what version is the one currently on offer at Currys question.

Steve

It is not easy to learn yourself & I went on a courses and took me years to get the hang of it at work. I am no longer working and now miss working with AutoCAD. Can you download the AutoCAD drawing files to Turbo Cad 2D/3D deluxe & if yes, what version will it accept? I have some files saved to Autocad 2010 & 2014 on a memory stick. I last worked on Civils 3D 2014 and it was fun drawing up the models, tracing from PDF's which was increased in size to suit the proposed model.

It was easier for me to draw & am not as good building. No I won't say you are thick at all and you have my respect.

Edited By Keith Simmons on 25/02/2015 10:26:06

Lol Tony.

Go to home tab, home panel, point drop-down then divide.

Select a line. (The line you want to divide)

Enter how many segments you want. Then a point is placed between each segment.

Replete for the other line & connect the lines between the points.

This is using Autocad so hopefully it will work for you.

You can type in "divide" as a command