The FrSky revolution - very worried men?

Interesting debate, and very divided opinions - it will be interesting to see where we are in a year, two, five, ten years down the line. I suspect Futaba will be alive and kicking.

I totally agree with CSB, I have no need (in over 30 years) for all the fancy mixing bells and whistles, I just want reliability - and why not when you are talking about airframes/engines costing upwards of £500, I really do not see a one off cost of a transmitter as prohibitive. People can spend as much on a set of servos for their pride and joy (each plane!), so I am not quite sure why there is such uproar over the price of a transmitter....

Rich

Edited By Rich2 on 05/04/2014 07:50:36

Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 05/04/2014 06:15:56:

Futaba won't go to the wall. In the same way that prestige marque cars have survived. It's an aspirational radio set. I bought a 7c set a couple of years ago mainly because I couldn't afford futaba 30 years ago. Plus of course their reputation rests on utter reliability.

I don't know, Rob, to my mind Futaba are a mainstream manufacturer with a mainstream pricetag. The prestige awards go to manufacturers such as Multiplex, Graupner and, to some degree, the ubiquitous JR. Futaba simply sell radio gear that cost slightly more rather than have any kudos that goes with the other brands.

My first, and second, sets of radios years ago were Futaba Field Force radios and I loved them but they were the only choice 15 years ago and I don't see them competing these days as others do.

As the technology progresses so does innovation, open source has gone a long way to prove that the concept works in areas such as word processing, Linux, online gaming and other scientific and engineering based computer software.

Someone went one better and created a portable open source system with the Taranis radios and with the invention of open source radios there are no very expensive software licenses to pay for and manufacturers capitalise on that making their radios relatively cheaper to other radios with the same abilities as well as create new additional abilities that are opened by the use of a plug in.

In a few more years time I think there will be an increase in manufacturers using this system, OSRC is one of them **LINK** and whether Futaba or other manufacturers see this and do something about it remains to be seen.

Having said that I am currently happy with my Spektrum set as it does a lot more than I actually need it to but when the time comes for me to upgrade I know I won't be looking backwards at Futaba again.

Edited By John F on 05/04/2014 08:40:34

BEBs comments about Futaba hit a note with me, Graupner were bought out by SJ and since then have been doing very nicely with the Hott system. I understand it is the fastest selling RC in Europe (although that might be pre Taranis).

I suspect there will always be one or two "premium" brands. There are always those willing to pay extra for a real quality product or name. Think of Leica in the camera world.

I have been waiting 2 years now for the MPX Profi 9 and it still hasn't hit the shops. My loyalty to the brand is being tested, added to which the MPX is not as versatile as the Taranis but cost £645 to £139. I will be buying a new radio in the next few weeks but still cannot make up my mind. If Frsky had a transmitter with better ergonomics it would be a done deal.

Edited By Bearair on 05/04/2014 08:59:09

I don't know Bearair, the Profi 9 looks as ergonomic as a housebrick.

You can buy, or even make your own tray for the Taranis, if that is all you're missing?

There's a generic tray here **LINK**

Or a different type of tray here **LINK**

One even makes them to suit : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRSKY-TARANIS-TURNIGY-9X-JRC-PCM-9X-HITEC-ECLIPSE-7-RADIO-TRAY-HOLDER-SENDERPULT

Edited By John F on 05/04/2014 09:09:17

I know John the Profi 9 does not look that good, but when you actually hold one, then it fits me perfectly.

I do not like screens at the bottom of the TX, and I like to have just the switches I need on the TX. The side switches that others find annoying I find perfect. And I am very reluctant to buy any 2.4g gear with an external aerial.

All of which might seem trivial to others but I know what I like and am willing to pay for it.

I have a love of Japanese equipment, cars, electronics, r/c gear. Always ultra reliable. Honda, Sony, JR, I take some shifting once a brand gets my loyalty. reliability and feel are what I look for then cost. took my first proper look at one yesterday, looks like a J.R box, write up on sticks looks good. Price is a big deal I think, then there is price of rx's.

Not sure how long they have been on the market but I have not read one negative comment re reliability. it looks a good buy to me seeing as I am doing a few electric models these days

Can I get my head around setting a model up with one is my only serious doubt.

Posted by john stones 1 on 05/04/2014 11:02:19:

I think the best advice there John is to approach it with an open mind. Don't think of it in terms of "its just another transmitter, now where's the expo menu". Because I believe that is the path that leads to folks into difficulties with Taranis. For your first model treat it like you've never seen or used a Tx before. That first model will take you a little while and you won't be at all sure about what you're doing. But when its done you'll see the logic of it. The second model will take a lot less time. Within a short period you actual start to see the Taranis way of doing things as the "natural way" and you start to realise that in the passed you have really been "working around" the limitations imposed by a rigid menu system on other transmitters.

If you want to get a feel for what its like to programme a Taranis visit Scott Page's YouTube channel. Start with the earlier videos and work your way through as far as you want. He has a very good teaching and demo-ing style. I learnt a lot of the basics of Taranis from his videos.

The only people I would really say could not get the grips with Taranis are those that don't use a PC or similar. And I don't mean are not "expert" at using PC's! You definitely don't have to be a PC expert (or I couldn't do it!) but you do need to be happy using simple applications. If you can use this forum you can cope with Taranis! smile

BEB

Posted by john stones 1 on 05/04/2014 11:02:19:

I have a love of Japanese equipment, cars, electronics, r/c gear. Always ultra reliable. Honda, Sony, JR, I take some shifting once a brand gets my loyalty. reliability and feel are what I look for then cost. took my first proper look at one yesterday, looks like a J.R box, write up on sticks looks good. Price is a big deal I think, then there is price of rx's.

Not sure how long they have been on the market but I have not read one negative comment re reliability. it looks a good buy to me seeing as I am doing a few electric models these days

Yes, I have brand loyalty too, for good reason. I want reliability and longevity. Why should price be such an issue? How often do you buy a transmitter? And transmitters costing £2k have been around for years - how have they survived? I would never spend that sort of money on one.

Rich

Posted by Bearair on 05/04/2014 11:31:14:

Chris, been looking at the Horus again I really like it but its that waiting thing again! Been saving patently for 2 years and to be honest the moneys burning a hole in my pocket!

I know exactly what you mean by the waiting thing.

I've given in, bought the Taranis in a weak moment and am just blown away by it. I'm looking forward to the quandry that I'll now have, about forking out for a Horus, so really I'm hoping it will be a good while now.

I don't follow you Rich, why have you highlighted my post.

I have not rubbished other makes, just said it looks a good deal

I said price is a big deal I think. To me £200 is a big deal

same as when I buy anything, even more so for a hobby.

not lucky enough to be able to ignore the price of goods.

where do's it say frsky is unreliable or short lived?

hats off to frsky--when their modules first appeared a few years ago and they were bought by a couple of lads at our club-I thought they would be a flash in the pan/unreliable etc...but as time go's on and you talk to people they all swear by them..never lost the signal and no hassle......so now they have there feet under the table are getting the modelling lads on board...I say good luck to them I admit I'm one of the dinosaurs who feels safe buying brands that I've used for years.....

ken Anderson ne..1...... .Jurassic dept.

Posted by john stones 1 on 05/04/2014 18:07:03:

I don't follow you Rich, why have you highlighted my post.

I have not rubbished other makes, just said it looks a good deal

I said price is a big deal I think. To me £200 is a big deal

same as when I buy anything, even more so for a hobby.

not lucky enough to be able to ignore the price of goods.

where do's it say frsky is unreliable or short lived?

Hi John,

I was picking up on your point regarding price - for something that may be a one off purchase, the price is not necessarily the most important part of the equation. Liker I said, lets not forget there are £2k sets out there.

You also mentioned brand loyalty, built up over many years, this will take a lot of shifting.

I just don't think the simplistic view that it is all over for Futaba will ring true - do people really think they will roll over, lock the doors and walk away? Get real.

I think the competition is good, its healthy, and should benefit Futaba (and others) fans...

Time will tell.

Rich

ps that's not all aimed at you John! wink

Edited By Rich2 on 05/04/2014 19:56:06

At least we can all agree on one thing, most of us are skint! That's why I buy a lot of stuff from the States.

Which made me think, there seems to be a lot of guys on this forum going out and buying this new Taranis tx, why is that? I bought my 7C years ago and don't need another tx. So why have you guys done this? And what did you replace?

Just wondering whether the price argument sticks if this has just been a must have purchase for you guys, and not a necessity.....

Rich

Edited By Rich2 on 05/04/2014 20:04:02

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/04/2014 10:09:31:

But I would say this - we had the same arguments when so-called "programmable radios" first came out. "I don't need these fancy things like dual rates and expo - they don't make you fly better". How many people today don't use expo or dual-rates? Very few I would suggest.

The thing I'm finding about Taranis is you don't know what you want until its offered to you. You don't know you want things until they become available. An example. I've just set up one model so that I can alter the aileron expo from one of the rotary pots. So I can optimise the expo setting for that model in the air and get it just how I want it in a single flight. Its brilliant - really useful. But I didn't know I wanted that until Taranis made it possible!

BEB

So BEB, what made you spend your hard earned on a radio that did things that you didn't know you wanted?!! wink

Rich

I can't answer for BEB but for my part - I've been happily using FrSky gear since getting one of the first two sets in the country and I was getting concerned about the future of modular radio as first my FF7, then my FF8 reached pension status and were passed on. My FF9 is still ok so far but it's getting past it's first flush of youth so when the Taranis was announced it made sense to me to buy one and learn it's ways while the FF9 can still provide a reliable backup. Add in the built-in telemetry features, the flexible programming, quality stick units and the fact that 90% of my existing receivers are compatible and it was a no-brainer. The other 10% of receivers are early V series so can still be used with the FF9/module setup until I get around to upgrading those too.

Posted by Rich2 on 05/04/2014 20:02:55:

Which made me think, there seems to be a lot of guys on this forum going out and buying this new Taranis tx, why is that? I bought my 7C years ago and don't need another tx. So why have you guys done this? And what did you replace?

Just wondering whether the price argument sticks if this has just been a must have purchase for you guys, and not a necessity.....

I agree- I've had my DX6i for 4 years now and I will not replace it unless it breaks beyond fixing! I believe that quality will always be safe- Futaba make good quality receivers and transmitters, as do Hitec, Spektrum, even FRSky. One transmitter isn't a revolution, it only is if you create a signal that never fails (which probably is not possible- too many variables).

CS