maddog nemesis

Hi Tony and Martin,

Thank you for siding with me on the wheel size, the original size I had planned for the 62” Nemesis was 3” I like the big wheel look myself because it reminds me of the Ben Buckle Super 60 I started off way back in the days when Britain was Great at everything, but I had a few comments (from the fancy F3A fraternity and their teeny wheel mentality lol) saying that they were to big.

Tony I will send you a set of 3” wheels so that you’re Nemesis looks the way us real modellers think it should look. hahaha

Thank you gentlemen for some constructive criticism that I whole heartedly agree with, so back to the originally planned wheels it is.

Richie

Advert

Ritchie - don't loose sleep over it, I'm sure it's a minor point in the scheme of things!

It may just be that the U/C could be narrowed a bit at the bottom - it's just a visual thing

I like the look of the kit and keenly watching to see how Tony gets on with it at the field!

Martin

Had a weekend of playing with the shackleton build, so i thought i best get back on with this today.

Cutting the ailerons out of a foam core wing, not one of my favorite jobs, but it had to be done.

First up measure carefully where to cut and the instructions are very clear with the measurements.

Then check the measurements again and once more for luck.wink

Then commit knife to wood and cut them out,you need to cut from both sides remember.

And if you have measured right, you end up with this. laugh

Next job is to fit the capping strips to the wings.

trace the shape for the side piece and stick that in first with epoxy. (£1 land twin tube epoxy is great for this, cos you need lots of it)

then hold all the bits in place with masking tape while it sets.

slop a bit more paint on the fuselage and call it a day.

tomorrow i will construct the ailerons and maybe fit the servo's as well.

sanded the wings to shape and tidied up the aileron slots.

then i took a deep breath and cut the ailerons to shape.
measure as many times as you feel is needed then cut.
its messy, very messy, polystyrene every where. :P

glue on the balsa strips to cover the polystyrene and leave to set.

go get a coffee. :cheer:
come back and tackle the first aileron servo.
decide which way up you are fitting the servo and make a balsa box with a ply top.
then mark out where it has to go and cut into the nice pristine wing.

dig out masses of the messy stuff,

and epoxy the box in place.

get a nice bit of sharp tube and mark where the servo wire run will be and then bore a hole through the inside of the wing, with luck it will line up with the servo hole.
thats one side done. :cheer:

tomorrow i will tackle the other side and then i am ready to join the wings.

well i took a deep breath and tackled the wing bandage.

i had some 30min zap epoxy so the job was done using that.

Far easier than i thought it was going to be.

underside first.

the bump is where the servo wires come out.

then i did the top.

waiting for the covering to turn up next so i can finish the wing off.

painted the nose cone.

then i fitted the rudder and elevator servos into the fuselage.

we are getting there at last. yay

Edited By Tony Bennett on 18/04/2014 18:01:00

this morning after coffee i went out and sorted the wing dowels.

i did mine slightly differently to the instructions in that i glued the dowels in at the same time as the mounting plate.

then i sorted the wing bolts and i was able to check that the wing was all square.

I spent the next couple of fun filled hours sorting the rudder and elevator controls and got them working fine.

door bell went and my covering turned up. yay.

so after another coffee i spent the next 3 hours swearing and covering the wing.

phew.

So all i have to left to do is to sort the battery hatch cover, connect the aileron servos and check the cog and it is ready for flying.

• 4 weeks later...

well the maiden didn't happen today.

got it all set up and balanced.

took it out to the runway and..........................................................

football practice started, so we have to change runways.

but this runway has a 60ft high oak tree right at the end meaning you have to yank it up steeply to clear the top and with an unflown new model i was not prepared to risk it.

so i packed up and came home.

• 3 weeks later...

she has been maidened. laugh

flies a treat once i had it trimmed out.

only flown in on low rates so far as she is very responsive on those, will try high rates when i am fully comfortable with her.

the motor i fitted is more than powerful enough to pull it vertical on 1/2 throttle.

well happy with it, just need to master the controls now.

one thing i would suggest is to fit the u/c on with nylon bolts as one landing was a bit hard and the screws pulled out splitting the ply slightly.

Can I now breath a sigh of relief sir, now that the first Nemesis production kit has flown laugh and you comment on the plastic U/C bolts as been duly noted, as all future production kits will be supplied with them (does anyone want buy 3000 No.8 self tap U/C screws crook) thanks Tony for taking the time to write this blog as it has given me an insight in to electric powered models and that it is not as scary a prospect as I first thought, it has also highlighted some minor changes that I can make to improve the Nemesis.

I hope you have many happy hour flying smile d

Richie

Thanks for designing such a good model rich.

i use this motor E-power 2832 805KV 69A Brushless Outrunner Motor on a 12x6 prop with an 80amp esc and a 4s 5000mah battery.

i am getting 8 mins gentle flying and 6 mins if i wring it out.

i did have to add 1 oz of extra weight in the nose to get it all balanced out.

but it does fly well.

Edited By Tony Bennett on 09/06/2014 11:03:32

• 10 months later...