Sintered Bronze or Felt Clunk

Gary Manuel

I'm just building a model with a DLE55RA petrol engine, which is the first petrol model I've ever built. I already own a model with a Zenoah G62 so I know about running petrol engines.

I'm a little confused about how to deal with fuel foaming / air bubbles, which I'm told are our worst enemy.

I believe that there are two options - Felt Clunks or Sintered Bronze clunks.

I've never seen this explained so these are my thoughts and I may be wrong, so please feel free to correct me. Both work by creating a small filtered "resevoir" of fuel which soaks up fuel from the tank and maintains the fuel flow if the clunk is starved of fuel. They both also act as fine filters, preventing air bubbles from entering the reservoir.

So here's the questions:

1. Which is best - Sintered Bronze or Felt , and why?

2. Any recommendations on particular brands / suppliers?

3. Am I talking rubbish about how they work?

Advert

Only issue with felt clunks is that they can give off fluff if they've been left empty for a while. Simple solution is to leave some petrol in the tank. Best option though is to fly regularly!! All mine have felt clunks but it's an issue to be aware of.

Ian.

Ian,

That makes sense. One distributor is saying that the Sintered Bronze is the ultimate filter and as it can be left for long periods in an empty fuel tank.

Anyway, I will use felt but am still intrigued by the Sintered Bronze ones, so if anyone can throw any light, please do.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 13/04/2014 09:36:35:

Hi Ultimate,

You are saying the same as everyone else, but is this from experience?

Yes been flying petrol for years now always use felt clunks (have tried sintered once) Felt are easy to clean by back flushing if necessary. They never seem to clog, I've seen them in my chainsaws when I pull them for servicing looking like a solid mass of sawdust but still allow the fuel through. I do always keep fuel in my tanks be it chainsaw or model