RC 'vintage' Keil Kraft Phantom

Advert

Hi ladies and gents. Bit more decorating and some water slide decals made up...

img_9467.jpg

first draw up your design in your favorite software..

img_9469.jpg

print off onto 'inkjet water slide decal' paper - good old ebay. I find that standard print settings are best, if you try 'high quality printing' then it puts too much ink on the surface and it runs a bit before it dries.

img_9476.jpg

when dry spry a light coat of laquer onto the paper to seal it in and to make the carrier for the decal. You cans use matt, satin or gloss here.

img_9477.jpg

Cut out and stick on like good old airfix. They stick better to smooth, shiny surfaces, but this might just be the cheap paper that I bought.smiley

img_9480.jpg

Because the decals are clear, and my printer does not print white, I cut some white circles from Solartrim to back up the number roundels.

img_9502.jpg

Finish with a light coat of acrylic topcoat to keep it all in place. Not far to go now.

img_9506.jpg

Looks gorgeous, even if I say so myself. That's the wing servo poking out of the bottom there.

img_9503.jpg

Fred the pilot is happily ensconced in his office, just waiting for the C of G to be Fitted, along with elevator servo and lipo. I think I might make a scaled - up version of thie Phantom in the near future, with built up wings as she is so pretty!

Cheers for now, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 25/05/2014 06:08:26

Posted by Martin Harris on 08/05/2014 22:53:51:

Funnily enough, the urge to stand in a field turning in circles overcame me last year and I downloaded a plan for the last CL model I flew in the days before I took up RC. Wonderful how the memories flooded back with the heady smell of diesel fuel...but I don't remember being dizzy after a flight back in the day...

phantom mite.jpg

<slightly off thread> I've had this urge as well... No idea why, maybe I'm fed up with rubbish weather for r/c. Where did you get the plans from, and where would you get the lines and handles from? <back onto thread>

The Phantom is a very pretty aircraft, surely a bigger version has been done? I do have my reservations about that tiny vertical stabiliser though!

Thanks for the info gents. Not sure this will be a 'cheap contender' until she flies! The all up weight is going to be almost exactly 350gms, which with 150 odd watts does not sound too bad - until you look at the size of the thing!! I will give it a go though, and have no doubt that she will fly............very fast! I always like to give it a go, so am not to phazed by this. If she survives the maiden I think she is going to take up home hanging from the ceiling in the workshop as she is so pretty. Had a bit of fun and took her down the patch today to get opinions.....and even the die hard oily raggers thought it had a 'proper' engine up front, and was even asked a few times what the engine was laugh. I am now planning a giant version that will have a lot lighter wing loading. I will post soon about the maiden,

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 26/05/2014 19:44:34

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 26/05/2014 17:08:35:

<slightly off thread> I've had this urge as well... No idea why, maybe I'm fed up with rubbish weather for r/c. Where did you get the plans from, and where would you get the lines and handles from? <back onto thread>

I can't remember exactly where I downloaded them but try here for a start...

Lines and handle were from a firm that were selling off CL stuff on this forum - I think they re-thought their decision to stop trading but I can't recall their name but Sussex Models have a range of stuff. Other model shops may well carry similar.

Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 26/05/2014 17:08:35:
Posted by Martin Harris on 08/05/2014 22:53:51:

phantom mite.jpg

The Phantom is a very pretty aircraft, surely a bigger version has been done? I do have my reservations about that tiny vertical stabilizer though!

Yes a larger version has been done before i have the plan somewhere in my loft .

This is it Phantom Major

Steve ,

Edited By Stephen Jones on 27/05/2014 20:02:32

Mmmm. Phantom Major eh? Might have a look out for that. Mind you I was thinking around the 48 inch mark for the wingspan for a bigger one, but interesting all the same- I do like perusing old drawings. Another design that I like is Peter Millers 'Harmony' which seems to have had a passing nod to the 'Phantom' looks wise - (hope you do not mind me making the comparison Peter).

Thanks for the extra info being posted about these gorgeous old designs

Cheers, Simon

I don't mid people getting confused with Harmony. However, believe it or not, Harmony was not based on, influenced by or even afected by the Phantom series.

Harmony was one of a series of designs starting with Rhapsody, then came Symphony. Harmony was for smaller engines and it was only after the plan was published that people started saying it was like the Phantom.

Interestingly when I did Melody, the next in the series and a biplane, no one said that it looked like the KK Scout.

I still have the last in the series to do, Destiny, Not sure when that will ever be done, Don' t know what it will look like either.

Hi Ladies and Gents. Well I have reached the conclusion of this little project, and here is a happy chap down at the patch yesterday.

img_9533.jpg

So the flight report.......Well I think you can call a 50 foot rapid clockwise spiral after a firm and horizontal hand launch a 'flight'.........and maybe as we are being charitable, call coming into firm contact with terra firma whilst in said right hand spiral a 'succesful landing'? And then maybe look into the distinct advantage that after all, she will be easier to fit into the car in two pieces....

img_9534.jpg

On a serious note, I am not too surprised at the result, although I did expect to be bucking around the sky for a bit longer before she went into a death spiral. From the off in the hand launch she went straight into an uncontrollable right hand spiral. she had very high wing-loading, and from the on-line calculators, at 360gms the stall speed came out at 25mph! But I do not feel that a project is complete until I have tried to fly it, so I am happy. Lessons learnt are to use the lightest and smallest gear that you can get hold of - rather than the bits and bobs that I have had left from other projects, that really was too big and heavy for something like this. I guess that the vertical stabiliser needed to be increased in size too, and maybe not put the C/L wire guide on the wing which probably did not help the poor things chances. So in conclusion, apart from the weight, power train, radio, method of construction, and being originally designed to round in circles on the end of bits of wire....... She was perfect as an R/C project! I do think that with these things sorted she would have had half a chance and flown.

She will be repaired, and I will take pity on her and retire her to the workshop ceiling as a reminder of how not to build an aircraft - and so I do not forget to start the 'Phantom XXL' project when the winter evenings start coming in, so watch this space.

Many thanks to you all for your kind comments, and information on these old plans,

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 31/05/2014 17:58:20

Sorry to see that, however we all do it. Try omehting a bit extreme which doesn't work. IT is what makes modelling interesting.

Come to think of it. the elliptical wing is not the best shape and does need quite a lot of washout. Even the Spitfire has washout in significant amounts.

Add to tha high wing loading. Oh well, it is all part of experience.

A couple of my more way out experiments that failed totally

My 1/4 scale model of the Stits Baby Bird worlds smallest.

PayenRacer 1930s

It is all part of the modelling experience, which is what makes it so enjoyable. I love the second one down - I can see that in silver livery, Flash Gorden style with rivetsall over and maybe a sparkler in the back - the top one is just cute! Thanks Peter,

cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 31/05/2014 19:16:48

Simon

so sorry this ended in tears... I have a real soft spot for the Phantom, here is a current photo of my 25 year old c/l Phantom in Purple and Cream... That's a "proper" Gig Eiflander tuned plain bearing 149 up front too.. One flick start motor!

and yes... They are balsa wheel spats over the KeilKraft slim wheels.... Raced this indoor and out in the phantom race series too

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/dbninja/76c1f48b1a0ae32f587fd6151ef5e303_zps8b1154d9.pg

David

Edited By David Baker 4 on 31/05/2014 20:31:13

David, for adding photos stored outside this website, please see the tutorial here

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 01/06/2014 08:39:03