Bottom wing trainers

Oliver Cooper

Advert

Hello Olly

In my opinion no, being a scale model it has one or two quirks, it will tip stall (flaps will help with this). Also the scale u/c makes it prone to nosing over. So being as you said first low wing trainer and I am assuming you don't have a lot of experience i'd go for something else. Black Horse travel air, spacewalker, pulse, lots to chose from.

John

Generally speaking I'd say no - but it can depend on exactly which one you're looking at.

As warbirds go the AT6 is usually a pretty friendly one in most manifestations - but many of them still have quite high wing loadings that can make them a handful at lower speeds. Also there is no getting away from the fact that retracts - even the best of them - are more fragile than piano wire! So taking these two factors together you'd have to be very confident in your "power-on" landings - that you can "spot it" every time - because this lady isn't going to be nearly as forgiving as you are used to.

Personally if you are in any doubt what-so-ever then I'd advise against it and get yourself a more "steady" low winger - Space Walker, Speed Air, Renagade, Pulse even an Acro-Wot if you keep the throws down initially. Any one of them will give you the preparation for a gentler scale warbird like an AT-6, a Chipmunk or maybe even a P47.

BEB

I'd agree with BEB. I went from a Wot 4 to an Acro Wot and Pulse, with low rates they were fine. But if you go the AW route don't be tempted to over power it, I'd say a 55 or similar would be fine.

I ended up with both because while the AW was fine, I found myself with nowhere to fly IC, so bought the Pulse 25 to fly with electric power.

r.

Thank you for all the help. At the moment i am flying a Max Thrust Riot. I'm still learning, but i have really been bitten by the bug as they say and have been looking to progress to the next rung of the ladder. The AT-6 Texan i have been looking at is the 1300mm one on Hobby King, purely because it isn't overly expensive and although i have never crashed my Riot, i didn't want to push the boat out to far and try a balsa plane just yet. Having said that, I am very interested in the Acro Wot route, but i am worried that the foam one is much smaller than my Riot. I am flying electric, dose anyone know any successful electric conventions for the balsa one as i believe it is a similar size to the Riot.

Edited By Oliver Cooper on 12/05/2014 17:25:44

Ok Thank you i will have a read through the posts and see i can see the set up. I think that i will be able to do the convection as i have built one from scratch already, unfortunately however i pick the wrong motor and it has only ever flown one for about 30 seconds down the rest for the runway.

Thank you so much for all you help

Olly