Scorpion Motors

Kev Greenwood

Just got my Scorpion motor back from climb out ltd after it chewed a bearing up after 8 flights!!!!

Had it in the front of my blackhorse sea fury (converted to electric) this motor is suppose to give out 2000 watts @ 100amps. I ran it to 1800 @ 90 amps, so as far as im concerned with in its tolerances. Its not as if i was using it wide open throttle all the time, if i did, my 5000 6s battery would have only lasted 3 or so mins. It took nearly 7 months for it to be repaired, in the mean time i bought an Axi gold line motor to replace it (awesome motor) which now flies my sea fury. Any way the motor turned up and i fitted it to a 74inch extra that i had knocking about and propped it to 1800 watts as before. 2 mins and 35 seconds it lasted!!!!!

Motor stopped dead, i managed to dead stick land it without any drama, the motor was hard to turn over and grinding like mad. I took the motor apart and nearly all the magnets had come loose.....so whats the excuse scorpion ????

Lesson learnt, dont buy scorpion, £110 motor trashed......

buy Axi

Kev

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/05/2014 13:43:30

Advert

It sounds like you got a bad motor Kev, but you can't evaluate a range of motors on the evidence of a single example. And arguably the delay in the initial repair and the second failure says more about climb out than about the Scorpion range.

I might equally post that Scorpion motors are brilliant. Mine has had 304 flights averaging about 6 mins a flight, so about 30 hours use, and has been problem-free. But I can't really say anything about the brand on the strength of a single example either.

Let's see what others have to say about their Scorpion motors.

Edited By John Privett on 18/05/2014 14:27:13

I have slightly moderated the title of this thread and the OP. I have never used a Scorpion motor so I have no "axe to grind" one way or the other, and clearly I am sympathetic to was obviously a very unsatisfactory experience. But it is just that - experience of one motor. So we can't really accept sweeping generalisations on the entire product range of the company based on a sample of one!

We are happy for people to relate negative experience of a product - and we can understand people getting upset when an expensive piece of kit doesn't deliver. But at the same time we have a duty to ensure that criticism is accurate, appropriate and proportionate!

BEB

I think that yoi must have been unlucky. I have 3 scorpion motors myself and have not had a major problem, not quite as powerful as yours mine run about 1000 watts. In fact I have one in my hack model that has 504 flights nearly 90 hours flying time. Glad you got your sea fury flying in the end.

Regards

JM

I generally fly with AXI motors, but a while back I decided to save some money by buying a Hyperion -- which people tell me are rebranded Scorpion motors.

The Hyperion seems to be less forgiving than my AXIs. I've bent the shaft twice in simple nose-overs on landing and, I had to replace bearings after only half a dozen flights, and even though there are good vents in the cowl of the model it's in, I've had to install baffles to direct the flow directly onto the casing to keep the temperatures down -- something I've never had to do with my AXIs, some of which are in much more restricted cowls.

So, rightly or wrongly, I've formed an opinion of the relative merits, and know what brand I won't be buying again. Oh, I did buy a second Hyperion as a spare for when my original one was down, and its shaft suffered the same fate. I know, I've got to stop nosing over, but it doesn't break my props or cause any other damage to the model, so I'm surprised how it bends the shafts. Never happens with my AXIs.

Posted by Gordon Tarling on 20/05/2014 09:15:52:

... I have alway wondered why Scorpion are the only company that insist the motor bearings are regularly oiled - perhaps we now know why.

Yes, I've often wondered about that. It was having to regularly grease a gearbox that drove me to outrunner motors in the first place!

well i contacted the vendor and he said he is sending me a new motor, i asked if he wanted the old motor back and he said no......he was very apologetic and told me they have less than 1% of motors that have trouble.....thats 1 in every 100 !!!

Sure i think i must have got a friday afternoon motor and yes i agree i was a bit hasty to diss scorpion motors, i was just so frustrated that it originally only lasted 8 flights, and the fact it took from 15th of november 2013 to the first week of may 2014 for the motor to come back only to last a few mins. NO i didnt run the motor red hot the specs for the motor state it can produce a constant 2000 watts @ 100 amps. Some people have said the motor shouldnt be run at these numbers, but only around the 80 amp martk, but if it says it on the tin, it should do it.....i ran it at 89 amps which is 10 or so amps under it capabilities, and its not as if i had the motor flat out all the time, im not that stupid. Ive got over 20 models with mainly turnigy motors and never had a problem. The Axi motor is pure quality and it makes my sea fury sound fantastic. Well i will give this new motor (when it turns up) another go, or i may just sell it, but i need a motor for my 74inch extra. I must admit the 2 mins 35 seconds the motor ran for, i was impressed with its performance....when i bought my Axi motor i did ask about having to oil motor bearings, he said "why do you need to lubricate sealed bearings?" there is no need to oil Axi bearings. I have a Fliton Extra 330s with a Axi motor in it and i have thrashed that something terrible and the motor has never been a problem (yes its running within its limits)

watch this space.

Kev