Flair Cub Cockpit Glazing Query

Richard V-D

Slowly getting on with my Cub build, and have come up against "glazing"! Fixing the side windows was fine, I used canopy glue, but I was stumped about the front bit.

Searching the forums came up with using a heat gun, so that was better, at least it was shaped a bit and would be easier to glue. Trouble is, how do you stick the front bottom edge of the actetate as shown in the picture? Canopy glue? Epoxy? Trim a bit of covering first?

Thoughts please.

Richard

cub picture copy.jpg

Advert

Hi Richard, It is a bit of a bummer. I used flexible tape from B&Q cut to about 10 mm wide. With judicious snipping, it works fine. Also, The liteply around the cockpit as shown in your pic is a weakspot. Small ply gussets fixed at all the joints help quite a bit

ernie

Oh yes... that really does set it off nicely!

I would paint the inside of the cockpit (between windscreen and controls) also black too, if it were me. That would make that black tape look purpose made.

Exactly what was that tape?

Whan I did mine, I used very small screws to hold that rear edges of the screen in place too.

Edited By Stevo on 25/05/2014 19:10:28

Sounds a good idea painting it black, I'll investigate it.

The tape was electrical insulating tape. Trouble was, whilst it was ok round all the curves at first, the tight curve at the rear of the side windows proved too much and it started to curl over. Judicious slits has cured that, although it's not the prettiest job in creation.

I would suggest using very small screws to hold the windscreen to the cabin uprights. This will hold the winscren tight against the scuttle. Then use canopy glue or trim film round the edge.

I have found that tiny screws are great for holding any form of canopy in place. You should only need four of half a dozen