That first flight of a new model.

O.K.I stop procrastinating .The model has been fully checked out. Range checks done All the other members in the club are aware of my intentions. The weather is good. I am on the flight line lined up into the wind ready to go with an engine that has been well sorted out ..Now what do I do?. Do I use full or half rates ? Expo or no expo ?Full throttle half throttle ? Yank it up as quickly as possible ?Let it take off itself on a good long run? These are the questions I would like to have your thoughts on please. Are there different thoughts about High wing ,low wing ,biplanes, warbirds ,own designs, flaps no flaps ,trikes tail draggers etc .etc .etc. Yes it is

all too easy to pass it to another seasoned flier but I would like to do it myself. with some confidence. Thanks.

Advert

Going it alone for a maiden is a trip to say the least. As the fellows have said above have someone on hand who has experience. Perhaps the model needs trimmed out but you are wrestling to keep it aloft, the other person may lend a hand with switches and trims. Also your mind will be more focused on the sticks while another person can offer advice as to what to do. We sometimes panic and forget what we should be doing. I know I have and the other fellow reminded me to trim the rudder. Saved the model. Leave plenty of time and space for your landing. Also the other fellow can help with clearance for landings. And for gods sake stay away from the sun!

Good luck

Maidening your own models is a skill we should all learn and feel great once achieved.

Totally agree. I've maidened every plane myself apart from my first powered trainer, and it's a real buzz!

Choosing good weather conditions is a must, and take something else to fly. Get a couple of flights in with a known model first both to get your brain in gear and also to understand what the wind is doing, and then you're ready. Having another model with you also makes you feel less bad about bailing out of the maiden if the conditions are not right for it.

In terms of the actual final thoughts about take off: it really does depend on the plane and on previous experience. A tail-dragger in particular needs to be yanked up a bit more aggressively than you might a tricycle, and you'll already be holding in some up elevator anyway. How much you need, you won't yet know. Taxiing trials help, and better to nose over than to take off and then stall.

On my first low-winger, I was taxiing to check the rudder trim into wind, when, whoops, I got a bit too quick. An unexpected maiden!!!

The above pretty well covers the most important points, especially regarding warming up your thumbs on an already familiar plane before you maiden your latest creation. I think having another pair of paws to move switches and or trims and act as spotter is a great comfort for that first flight (or two) - and just make absolutely sure before a wheel turns that they know what's where and what's what on your Tx!

My thoughts are:

Prepare yourself to see a gentle climb out.

It should ideally almost fly itself off but if it doesn't look like its going to and you are sure you have sufficient speed don't panic but just pull back enough to achieve that gentle climb.

Then just continue what you are doing and slowly gain height turning gently so as not to get too far away taking into account the direction of both wind and sun.

The wisdom is for any sort of testing (and the maiden is the ultimate test!) get 3 mistakes high and then you can start on trim and throttle settings.

Once nicely settled down start thinking about the circuit, approach and landing. Ask your self where do I need to be and keep asking that question all the time during the circuit and the approach. Nobody expects a perfect 'spot' landing on a maiden so don't try, just be nice and controlled.

A maiden gives quite an adrenalin rush so it is best to keep that first flight short. Take off, climb to a safe height, organise a circuit and land. Then hold out your hand and see how much its shaking!

I do my own maidens and all but the first have been on my own designs too.

Maidened a friends foamie Acro-Wot the other day, definitely a "heightened awareness" moment! After getting it up to a couple of hundred feet there were a few seconds of fairly frantic beeping and his comment was "bit out of trim chap?". By now I 'd put in about five clicks of right aileron and six clicks of down elevator, I just let go of the stick and it still spontaneously looped! Still haven't worked all the kinks out of it yet.

My point is the plane needs to go where you want, having the stick in the centre of the gimbal is desirable but not essential for the moment. If you have to hold the stick a bit left and slightly forward for the time being do so. Put in the clicks of trim or get an assistant to do so for you (especially if it's really far out) only when you are comfortable with the attitude and altitude of the plane. Fly it "hands on" until it will fly "hands off" smile d.

After that the plane is all your own work!

Shaunie.

I think it's important to have in mind exactly what you are going to do in any emergency -if the engine cuts on take off landing straight ahead, where is the safest area to dump the model if it's necessary, etc, etc

Good idea to ask another pilot to check you have controls the right way and not reversed ( this will also show if the ailerons have not been plugged in)

It's always best to have another experienced pilot available to move trims etc but make sure he knows your Mode, and to spot the model if it gets too far away or to make sure the landing area is clear. Or just to confirm what happened and help you pick up the pieces if the worst occurs!

My principle has always been not to try a new IC engine in a new model if at all possible. I always prefer to try a new engine in an old and trusted airframe. One less thing to worry about. I should have followed this idea when i switched to electric but it never occurred to me that a brand new ESC would fail on it's first flight -- but it did.

• 2 months later...

Hi Thank you all for your input. I successfully maidened my own design yesterday.It is called SHIFTY .It has been designed to use a single wing that can be set up either straight or with dihedral, it can be positioned as a high or low winger, it can be a trike or tail dragger. All of these with only the addition of a single extra component. The wing also incorporates flaps. Oh ! I can also shift the c of g while inflight. Thanks again for all your help. P.S. I called it SHIFTY because you can SHIFT things about !!!!